Windows 10: "Could not find this item" when trying to create new file/folder/etc. in Documents or Desktop

Discus and support "Could not find this item" when trying to create new file/folder/etc. in Documents or Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Running Win 10 Pro 1803 and having issues on ONE of my users accounts when trying to copy files or create new items on the Desktop or within the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joe_demaio, Dec 10, 2018.

1. "Could not find this item" when trying to create new file/folder/etc. in Documents or Desktop

Hi,

Running Win 10 Pro 1803 and having issues on ONE of my users accounts when trying to copy files or create new items on the Desktop or within the Documents folder. I get the error message "Could not find this item" and "This is no longer located in C:\....."

I've looked around a bit and I can confirm the location DOES exist through command prompt and within Explorer. Of course the only solution is to Disable "Controlled folder access". With that turned off, the issues do not exist. This isn't a solution though as another user account on the same PC has these settings ON and does not have these issues. Both are Administrators and have mirrored Security permissions on the respective folders.

Here's what I've tried:

• Added 'explorer.exe' to 'Allowed apps' and STILL get error and Defender notification
    • Ran sfc /scannow from admin command prompt and no issues detected
    • Verified security permissions for these folders

Any thoughts? I'd rather not recreate the user account and migrate files.

Thanks

:)

Joe_demaio, Dec 10, 2018
  2. marinro Win User

Folder Freeze when trying to click on a Word Document. HELP

Hi there,

I came across a very weird bug/issue.

Use Case

Step 1: Create a word document on Desktop and name it TestFreeze

Step 2: Test that you can open the word document and write something like 'Testing freeze folder' ->save it

Step 3: Create a folder on Desktop and name it FreezeMe

Step 4: Copy 'TestFreeze' document in the 'FreezeMe' folder

Step 5: Open the 'FreezeMe' folder and select/click 'TestFreeze' document

Result: Folder Not Responding

Additional Information

I have run some tests and it does not matter:

• if it is a new or old Microsoft word file
    • if the document has content in it or not
    • if it has a long/short name or special characters
    • it does not matter the folder or the name of the folder in which you put the file in
    I also tried with an excel file and seems that I do not experience the same issue.

Microsoft version: 16.0.9330.2073

Windows version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134 with all updates up to date

If there is anything else I can provide to help sort this out, please do let me know.

Opened to any suggestions on how to fix this, as it is very frustrating.

Thanks

marinro, Dec 10, 2018
  3. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 10, 2018
  4. gudiya#1 Win User

"Could not find this item" when trying to create new file/folder/etc. in Documents or Desktop

creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Thanks, the step you mentioned

Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.
    • Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

It's working for me. But my new folder option is not working anywhere not in desktop as well as not in file explorer. Whenever I am placing my cursor on new folder option, its first spinning for few seconds then goes to close the file
    explorer and refresh the desktop once.

gudiya#1, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

"Could not find this item" when trying to create new file/folder/etc. in Documents or Desktop

1. "Could not find this item" when trying to create new file/folder/etc. in Documents or Desktop - Similar Threads - find item trying

2. File Explorer does not refresh automatically when creating new folders, deleting items, etc.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer does not refresh automatically when creating new folders, deleting items, etc.: There is a bug with Windows that has been around for a while now and that is that the Desktop and File Explorer do not refresh automatically when a mapped network drive is no longer connected. To my disappointment, this bug is still present in Windows 10 and Windows 11. When...
  3. Trying to delete a file on my desktop, gives result "Could not find this item"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to delete a file on my desktop, gives result "Could not find this item": Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Owner\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try againthe file name is THE NATIONAL.ogg.mp3.wav.ogg, i realize the issue could be the ridiculous file name i gave it but trying to rename it soft locks the...
  4. Trying to delete a file on my desktop, gives result "Could not find this item"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to delete a file on my desktop, gives result "Could not find this item": Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Owner\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try againthe file name is THE NATIONAL.ogg.mp3.wav.ogg, i realize the issue could be the ridiculous file name i gave it but trying to rename it soft locks the...
  5. Could not find this item

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Could not find this item: Hello,I've been having a problem for about a week, where I need to delete large quantities of pictures and documents from Windows 10. But every time I want to do this, I can the message: Item Not Found.Could not find this item. This is no longer located in path . Verify the...
  6. could not create a new folder

could not create a new folder: could not create a new folder and there is no option if i pressed right mouse button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-create-a-new-folder/48e88fd4-26cd-4ef8-8a04-ccb7c467af6a
  7. unable to create any type of file or folder in documents. could not find this item

unable to create any type of file or folder in documents. could not find this item: unable to create any type of file or folder in documents. could not find this item https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-create-any-type-of-file-or-folder-in/11750fcd-fe9b-4859-9eee-089e078590aa
  8. Cannot create a new folder in file explorer or when trying to save a document to a new folder

Cannot create a new folder in file explorer or when trying to save a document to a new folder: I have tried all the "fixes" in the community forum dating back to 2011. None have worked. Has Microsoft found a solution to this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-a-new-folder-in-file-explorer-or/cb153b5a-8fa6-4fbb-ac33-a6fe6e5ee8f7
  9. “Could not find this item”

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “Could not find this item”: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sexysenju [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kmwog9/could_not_find_this_item/
  10. File missing from my Documents folder. I get 'Could not find this item' when I try to copy...

File missing from my Documents folder. I get 'Could not find this item' when I try to copy...: Hi all, My 'Documents' folder is synchronised to a company network folder. Recently, I have had a couple of instances where I opened a Word document that was an email attachment and saved it to my Documents folder. Upon closing Word I found the document wasn't actually...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. could not find this item whenever creating a new folder on on a network drive