Windows 10: Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop

Discus and support Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I just bought a new Lenovo laptop and used it for a month. Now it certainly locked up and requested for a bitlocker recovery password. I searched and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Tien Doan, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Tien Doan Win User

Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop

I just bought a new Lenovo laptop and used it for a month. Now it certainly locked up and requested for a bitlocker recovery password. I searched and tried a number of things for 5 hours straight but could not figure out how to get the password. I did not register this PC for MS account and did not even know that Bitlocker had been activated. I tried to register this PC in my existing MS account but could not get that done since it could not recognize the serial number I used which is PW0598M3. Please help. Thanks.

:)

Tien Doan, Mar 3, 2024

2. Bitlock recovery to reset password

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble accessing your PC due to a forgotten password. In this situation, you can try using the BitLocker recovery key to reset your password. Here are the steps:

1. On the sign-in screen, click on "I forgot my password" or "Reset password."
    2. On the next screen, enter your Microsoft account email address or phone number associated with your account.
    3. You will be prompted to enter the recovery key. Copy and paste the BitLocker Recovery Key from your Microsoft account page where your device is listed under "Devices."
    4. Once you have entered the recovery key, follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password.
    If you don't have access to the BitLocker recovery key or if it doesn't work, you can try using the Windows installation media to reset your password. Here are the steps:

1. Create a Windows installation media (such as a bootable USB drive or DVD) on another working PC using the Media Creation Tool provided by Microsoft.
    2. Insert the installation media into your locked PC and restart it.
    3. Press the necessary key to access the boot menu or BIOS setup, and select the installation media as the boot device.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows.
    5. When you reach the screen where you're prompted to select the partition to install Windows, click on "Repair your computer" instead.
    6. Select "Troubleshoot" and then "Reset this PC" or "Advanced options" and then "Command Prompt."
    7. In the Command Prompt, type the following command to reset the password for the local user account: net user [username] [newpassword], where [username] is the name of the locked account and [newpassword] is the new password you want to use.
    8. Restart your PC and sign in with the new password.
    I hope this helps you regain access to your PC. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards

Shuaib

MohammedSH_31, Mar 3, 2024
  3. Bitlocker Recovery Password

My niece is using Dell XPS 15 9570. She bought this laptop at UK in 2018. This laptop is running Windows 10.

Recently, the laptop has prompt out a page asking for Bitlocker Recovery Password.

She didn't know what is the Bitlocker Recovery Password.

So, she contacted the Authorized Distributor (XXX Shop/Company) in UK where she bought this laptop for advice.

The technical support from this XXX had replied by providing a link to Microsoft which is:

https://support.microsoft.com/

The link doesn't help in solving the problem.

Because she couldn't find the Bitlocker recovery password in his Microsoft user account.

In fact, she didn't know what is Bitlocker password and Bitlocker recovery password until recently the system prompt her to enter the bitlocker recovery password.

The worst case is all the two months the University project date that she had prepared are stored inside this laptop.

I did contact the Dell Technical Support in Singapore asking for advice.

They advised me to contact Dell in UK for support.

Now, my niece may end-up in formatting the whole unit laptop.

Appreciate if anyone can help in solving this issue.

Hai AunYap, Mar 3, 2024
  4. Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop

BitLocker nag, PIN funtcion corrupted, password forgotten, recovery usb not created

Yes, you can use your wife's laptop to create a USB key for BitLocker recovery. Here are the steps:

On your wife's laptop, insert a USB flash drive.

Press the Windows key and type "BitLocker" in the search bar.

Select "Manage BitLocker" from the search results.

Under the "Removable data drives" section, locate the USB flash drive you inserted and click "Back up your recovery key".

Choose a location to save the recovery key, and click "Save".

Enter a password for the recovery key file (optional), and click "Save".

Once the recovery key is saved to the USB flash drive, safely eject the drive from your wife's laptop.

Insert the USB flash drive into your laptop.

When you see the BitLocker recovery screen, select "Enter recovery key".

Choose the option to use the USB flash drive.

Enter the recovery key that was saved to the USB flash drive from your wife's laptop.

Once you have entered the recovery key, you should be able to access your system and set a new PIN or password.

I hope this helps!

Elaine S. S., Mar 3, 2024
Thema:

Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop

1. Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop - Similar Threads - locate Bitlocker Recovery

2. Bitlocker Recovery Password is not regenerated after Bitlocker recovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Recovery Password is not regenerated after Bitlocker recovery: HelloOur devices do not generate a new BitLocker Recovery Password, after a BitLocker Recovery, although, we enabled the GPO “Reset platform validation data after BitLocker recovery”, under Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components -->...
  3. Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop: I just bought a new Lenovo laptop and used it for a month. Now it certainly locked up and requested for a bitlocker recovery password. I searched and tried a number of things for 5 hours straight but could not figure out how to get the password. I did not register this PC for...
  4. Bitlock recovery to reset password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlock recovery to reset password: When I first got a PC, with Windows 11 Home, it told me I needed to reset my password roughly every 14 days. Earlier this morning, it wouldn't let me enter my PC for school without creating a new password. I came up with one that I assumed was easy to remember. A few words,...
  5. Bitlock recovery to reset password

Bitlock recovery to reset password: When I first got a PC, with Windows 11 Home, it told me I needed to reset my password roughly every 14 days. Earlier this morning, it wouldn't let me enter my PC for school without creating a new password. I came up with one that I assumed was easy to remember. A few words,...
  6. bitlock recovery password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bitlock recovery password: i turned on my laptop today to be greeted with a blue screen asking for my bitlocker recovery passwordi dont remember ever setting a password or activating this feature at all why would this all of a sudden just appear?...
  7. bitlock recovery password

bitlock recovery password: i turned on my laptop today to be greeted with a blue screen asking for my bitlocker recovery passwordi dont remember ever setting a password or activating this feature at all why would this all of a sudden just appear?...
  8. Bitlocker Recovery Password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker Recovery Password: My niece is using Dell XPS 15 9570. She bought this laptop at UK in 2018. This laptop is running Windows 10. Recently, the laptop has prompt out a page asking for Bitlocker Recovery Password. She didn't know what is the Bitlocker Recovery Password. So, she contacted the...
  9. BitLocker Password or Recovery Key

BitLocker Password or Recovery Key: Dear All, FYI, one of our staff was accidently turn on the BitLocker Drive Encryption for Windows 10 Pro in his HP laptop for a quite some time. Last few, days the laptop's motherboard was faulty and we manage to get HP to replace the new motherboard. However, after replace...
  10. Bitlocker key and password recovery

Bitlocker key and password recovery: Hi, i have a drive that is locked but i do not have the 48 key password. i only have the 32 key identification key. how do i unlock my drive with this?...