Windows 10: Could not log in after I changed registry permission and restarted device

Discus and support Could not log in after I changed registry permission and restarted device in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So I was trying to install NordVPN, at the end of the installation it gave me an error, something about RegSetValueEx and error 5, I did some searching... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KonoSetoDa, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Could not log in after I changed registry permission and restarted device

So I was trying to install NordVPN, at the end of the installation it gave me an error, something about RegSetValueEx and error 5, I did some searching and it requires me to edit registry permission.So i went ahead and did that, I might have done something wrong because after restarting my device, I could not even attempt to login, or the input prompt to login would not even show. It would just sit on second picture attached for like 20~30 seconds, then change back to the first picture as if nothing happened. Thanks!

:)

KonoSetoDa, Jun 19, 2021
  2. 95Viper Win User

Any way to edit the registry without loading Windows?

You will need to find a way to grant yourself permissions for full control of that hive/key.
    Just as the "Trusted Installer" has.
    You may have to log on as admin to do this.

Grant Read Write (Full Control) Permissions on Registry Keys (Fix Cannot Import and Access Denied Error in RegEdit)
    How to change Registry Permissions with RegIni.exe (VBScript)

And, a search to start you on your quest.

I did it a long time ago, to get rid of & edit some hives, keys, etc.
    Goodluck.*Smile Could not log in after I changed registry permission and restarted device :)

95Viper, Jun 19, 2021
  3. xp ntfs permissions erased - help!

NEVER, ever, remove FULL CONTROL permissions in the Access Control Lists/rights priveleges from:

• Administators Group
    • YOUR local Administrator User
    • SYSTEM
    on NTFS rights on your disks (via Explorer.exe rightclick properties menu, security tab) that use that filesystem, OR in the REGISTRY either, via rightclick on HIVES/KEYS permissions popup menu options...

(Sure way to lock yourself out, period, & I have done it myself early on w/ NTFS filesystems &/or the Registry before... only way to learn sometimes, is making mistakes!)

* Keep this in mind, those of you that start experimenting w/ security @ these 2 levels!

APK

P.S.=> Leaving them @ FULL POWER, in both areas, usually 9/10 times allows you to get back into your rig (logging on as your LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR USER, to fix it), & make alterations to rights/acl's as needed, to "get it right", eventually... especially when you're still learning/experimenting! apk

Alec§taar, Jun 19, 2021
  4. Could not log in after I changed registry permission and restarted device

Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

Could not log in after I changed registry permission and restarted device

1. Could not log in after I changed registry permission and restarted device - Similar Threads - log changed registry

2. Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys: I need to edit a registry key but before I do so, I need to be granted full control of the key. I am getting an error message when I try to do this. I am already listed as the owner of the key. I have tried changing both my administrator account as well as my use account to...
  3. Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys: I need to edit a registry key but before I do so, I need to be granted full control of the key. I am getting an error message when I try to do this. I am already listed as the owner of the key. I have tried changing both my administrator account as well as my use account to...
  4. How do I use PowerShell commands to change Permissions for a Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I use PowerShell commands to change Permissions for a Registry: Hi, everyone I found the PowerShell command codes could deny full control permission of registry key, but them were imperfect and not met my need. The imperfect PowerShell command codes are as following. $path = "HKCU:\Control Panel\Keyboard" $Acl = Get-ACL $path...
  5. How do I use PowerShell commands to change Permissions for a Registry?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I use PowerShell commands to change Permissions for a Registry?: Hi, everyone My main objective is make the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2" more safer and not auto run programs. Secondly, I hoped the PowerShell command codes could batch run them automatically. Protected the...
  6. Registry change keeps reverting back after restart.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Registry change keeps reverting back after restart.: so my laptop has a popping sound problem and I fix it by using this method, I change all the registry value to 00 from the default 05. it keeps the registry value when I use shut down but it keeps reverting back to default (05) if I use a restart or if there's a windows...
  7. Fixing permissions, how to change evaluation order in registry?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fixing permissions, how to change evaluation order in registry?: So ive gotten permissions set back to how they were on a particular key - the problem ive run up against is the fact theyre in about the opposite order they need to be now. is there a means of sorting them properly top to bottom without having to add back each one by one?...
  8. Registry permissions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry permissions: I edited registry HKEY_CURRENT _CONFIG permission but then it deleted all users automatically except the one i created recently. Now i can't access anything i tried to restart computer and reset it from advanced optionshift + restart but after 50 - 60 % it comes back to...
  9. Windows in restart loop after changing a registry key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows in restart loop after changing a registry key: Hi, I was looking to change the display font for some applications in windows 10, I changed the key for MS Shell dlg2 in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/FontSubstitues/ from "Tahoma" to "Segoe UI" after restart I, windows wont start. the boot dots...
  10. Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...: I'm running 64-bit Windows Pro on an Asus P5Q-EM MB with an Intel E8600 processor with 8 GB of PC2-6400 Ram. I've had a couple of unexpected shutdowns and restarts lately. I've got several different error types in my event log. The only one showing to be "critical" is the...