Windows 10: Could not ping any host on local network General Failure

Discus and support Could not ping any host on local network General Failure in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, This happen twice already and I could not find proper solution to fix this. The 1st time happened 4 months back where I could not ping any local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RyanN_WLX, Feb 26, 2020.

1. RyanN_WLX Win User

Could not ping any host on local network General Failure

Hi,

This happen twice already and I could not find proper solution to fix this. The 1st time happened 4 months back where I could not ping any local host within the same subnet eg: my IP is 192.168.1.100 and I could not ping anyone in 192.168.1.x/24. Several post via google said I should download some utility to disable/re-enable IPv6, disable all IPv6-IPv4 transition technologies, reset computer TCPIP and winsock catalog and flush DNS.. all just didn't work. I have to revert and take a long route reformat the PC to recover.

Now this same problem happen again, I couldn't solve it. Pinging to any host will just result "General Failure". I need help to diagnose this issue as it causes the following 2 issue for me.

a I could not connect to my map drive NAS as I can't ping the NAS. Not even via \\<nas-ip>

b I could not print to my network printer via SMB

And surprisingly, via the Linux sub-system Ubuntu I could ping all the host on the network. Just not the Windows 10 host OS. Another point to make, I could access Internet skype, Outlook, web browsing, etc without any issue. My Windows 10 Pro have the latest updates.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

:)

RyanN_WLX, Feb 26, 2020

2. Unable to ping local host and network issues

Evening everyone,

I'm having issues trying to connect my computer to the internet. Originally the issue was that the Ethernet cable doesn't have a valid IP configuration. I then proceed to use Command Prompt to run <netsh winsock reset> and <netsh int ip reset>. The second command
    wasn't working correctly so I had to go into the registry to allow the command to work. Here's a general list of things I've done.
    • Diabled and enabled the adapter
    • Swapped ethernet cables
    • Tried different ports on router
    • Check to see if DHCP was enabled
    • Updated adapter drivers
    • Disabled all anti-virus and firewalls in safe mode to see if I can ping localhost

Here's where it gets interesting, I can't ping the local host. It gives me a "General Failure" comment. Now, I've gone ahead and set up a static IP address for my computer using Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8) but I still can't access the internet and regardless
    of what I do I can't ping the local host.

Window's diagnostic for my ethernet adapter is that it works but the DNS isn't working.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

johnny_rome, Feb 26, 2020
  3. jackin Win User
    What causes PING General Failure

C:\windows\system32>ping 192.168.11.175

Pinging 192.168.11.175 with 32 bytes of data:
    General failure.
    General failure.
    General failure.
    General failure.

Ping statistics for 192.168.11.175:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

After I restart Windows I didn't get it again, but I'm curious to know what causes GENERAL FAILURE error to begin with.

jackin, Feb 26, 2020
  4. Could not ping any host on local network General Failure

not able to access local network devices - ping fails

cannot find anything on my local network – printer, NAS other computers

WEB works find can ping
    www.google.com
    but get general failure if I ping my modem 10.0.0.1 or anything else on my local network.

Tried turning off firewall no help

Running windows 10 auto update and Norton

other windows 10 (non auto update) system is working find on the network

PachydermCreationLLC, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

Could not ping any host on local network General Failure

1. Could not ping any host on local network General Failure - Similar Threads - ping host local

2. Ping "General failure" ~50% of the time

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ping "General failure" ~50% of the time: Around 50% of the time when running a ping, its returning "General Failure" for an unknown reason. This is leading to very dodgy internet. It works absolutely fine on Linuxping 8.8.8.8 -tReply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=114Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms...
  3. General Failure on ping 127.0.0.1 or dedicated IP

General Failure on ping 127.0.0.1 or dedicated IP: Hello! I have a big problem with reaching one of computers within home LAN. I am not sure if it is because of last 20H2 update, but there are no problems on my Server WS 2016 or other PC stations, so I assume it is also not group policy. Problem:...
  4. Ping 192.168.0.* returns 'General Failure'

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ping 192.168.0.* returns 'General Failure': submitted by /u/Maelstrive [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ji1wo3/ping_1921680_returns_general_failure/
  5. Ping - General Failure

Ping - General Failure: I have a laptop .193 that connects to my home network through a wireless access point .162. I can access the internet and I can ping out google.com and 8.8.8.8. I cannot ping anything in my network, including the gateway. Everything, including the laptop is static IP. I...
  6. General Ping Failure help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    General Ping Failure help: [ATTACH] So, for some reason I can't ping my default gateway... I have tried these cmd commands: netsh int ip reset netsh winsock reset netsh int ip reset Tried to turn off all firewalls, and when I type the default gateway in a webbrowser I just get "Your Internet...
  7. Ping 192.168.1.1 General Failure

Ping 192.168.1.1 General Failure: Hi. I have a problem in one of my computers. It successfully gets IP address from my router and successfully connects to the Internet. However, it can't detect my network WD drive, and while testing I discovered that it fails even to ping it's own IP address and even my...
  8. Ping 168.192.1.1 General Failure

Ping 168.192.1.1 General Failure: Hi. I have a problem in one of my computers. It successfully gets IP address from my router and successfully connects to the Internet. However, it can't detect my network WD drive, and while testing I discovered that it fails even to ping it's own IP address and even my...
  9. Tracert or ping not working, general failure

Tracert or ping not working, general failure: Hello, I tried a tracert today and it failed. I tried it a few different ways and the results are below. C:\Windows\System32>tracert bbc.co.uk Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.192.81] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1 * General failure. Trace complete....
  10. PING: transmit failed. General failure.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PING: transmit failed. General failure.: No Microsoft. You are wrong. "General failure" is always the the wrong answer. Tell me something useful that I can debug. "General failure" tells me nothing. "ping" is an age old diagnostic tool. You have neutered it....