Windows 10: Could these things somehow slow the performance of my system?

Discus and support Could these things somehow slow the performance of my system? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey, When you delete a file it disappears from the system but the data stays on the hard drive, right? Is there something like too much data on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BicycleRow, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Could these things somehow slow the performance of my system?

Hey,

When you delete a file it disappears from the system but the data stays on the hard drive, right? Is there something like too much data on the hard drive? If so, could it somehow slow down the performance of the system? Just askin' because I've been deleting a lot of huge files recently and this thought came across my mind. Also, what about having a ton of big files on my PC at the same time? Could it somehow slow down the system?

:)

BicycleRow, Jan 15, 2017

2. Nokia N9 update problem

not sure if it is necessarily a nokia issue. it could somehow be bottle-necking the system.

could even be some conflict with another package you have installed already. ie-when my device is over-clocked, my maps and drive launch slowly.....eventually work, but very slow.

but, works fine when not.

ceroberts75, Jan 15, 2017
  3. PerBylund Win User
    Drive+ version 4.1.5598.0 constantly freezes, crashes

Discussed error with (the twitter account) and they recommended re-downloading the maps. Since my connection is slow, I started with only one map. Slow delete, then attempted download. Funny thing, the phone then states it is "resuming" download of maps
    (note plural - it resumes downloads of ALL my maps, starting from 13%).

I'm only at 17% so far, but it seems the download was paused somehow and that this - the partially downloaded maps - could be the cause of freezes. (Though I'll know for sure only after downloading the maps... takes hours.)

Thought I'd post this here in case others have similar problems.

PerBylund, Jan 15, 2017
  4. Could these things somehow slow the performance of my system?

On a HDD, files may be fragmented, which could slow down your machine.
    The OS has to wait for each block of data to be found (the read head must move to the right track and then wait for the appropriate data block to arrive) before it can be read off of the HDD.

W10 has a built-in tool that is supposed to take care of that.

Tutorial
    Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10

Files may be fragmented on an SSD, but because of the way SSDs work it shouldn't be an issue.

Fragmentation
    Fragmentation (computing) - Wikipedia
    Defragmentation - Wikipedia

lehnerus2000, Jan 16, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    You could run the included defrag tool say once a week and that'l help. This tool is able to distinguish between SSDs and HDD's.

swarfega, Jan 16, 2017
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Until it gets overwritten by new data.
    As far as the OS is concerned the space occupied is available so it doesn't hurt in any way when you write/delete lots of data to the hard drive.

SSD is totally different since the cells need to be empty for it to write from them again. Hence, "garbage collection", the internal housekeeping of the drive.

Garbage Collection and TRIM in SSDs Explained - An SSD Primer | The SSD Review

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Could these things somehow slow the performance of my system?

1. Could these things somehow slow the performance of my system? - Similar Threads - things somehow slow

2. Slow down system performance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow down system performance: Hello,After some time since I work with the system, the speed of running Windows 8.1 programs decreases drastically. Shutting down the laptop in this mode takes more than twenty minutes. Please guide me.Minidump Files:...
  3. Slow down system performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow down system performance: Hello,After some time since I work with the system, the speed of running Windows 8.1 programs decreases drastically. Shutting down the laptop in this mode takes more than twenty minutes. Please guide me.Minidump Files:...
  4. Slow system performance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow system performance: I've noticed a deterioration in my system's performance recently. It's difficult to explain what makes me think that but 2 things that keep happening: 1 Often when I start a new session of File Explorer and point to system Documents folder, it takes a long time to open. The...
  5. Slow system performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow system performance: I've noticed a deterioration in my system's performance recently. It's difficult to explain what makes me think that but 2 things that keep happening: 1 Often when I start a new session of File Explorer and point to system Documents folder, it takes a long time to open. The...
  6. Slow system performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. System performance get slow after update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System performance get slow after update.: My Lenovo ideapad 110 became another thing after Windows10 update to latest version. All the system performances ranging from booting to loading of applications and other activities became crippled. It will take "decades" to open apps. Very very slow in everything. I hav...
  8. Slow system performance on Windows 10

Slow system performance on Windows 10: After update windows 10 , 1903 my surface pro 4 is not working properly. Long booting time and slow down like anything...i have followed the tips given in this thread... No use....I cant uninstall the updates also... Original title : After update windows 10 , 1903 my...
  9. slow performance in my pc

slow performance in my pc: i have an asus vivobook R542uq laptop with i5 8th gen processor 8 gb of ram and 2gb nvidia geforce 940mx graphics card.even though these are decent specs i feel a bit laggy performance.it takes about a minute to boot and taskbar is not load as soon as desktop is seen it takes...
  10. My PC performance is slow

in Windows 10 Customization
    My PC performance is slow: Hi, After upgraded to windows 10 ,my pc performance is very very slow and the cpu&disk utilization is going to 100%.Google chrome is also not working after upgraded to windows 10 .Please give some solutions ....