Windows 10: Could usbs powering a device while the computer is off for a long period of time kill it or...

Discus and support Could usbs powering a device while the computer is off for a long period of time kill it or... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Recently my monitor died for no apparent reason and it always was on during the night. I believe it was the fact that it was turned on always even if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Byemax, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Byemax Win User

Could usbs powering a device while the computer is off for a long period of time kill it or...

Recently my monitor died for no apparent reason and it always was on during the night. I believe it was the fact that it was turned on always even if the computer was off, I can't find a fix for the devices that are using my usb 3.0 ports.

I have fears that the devices that stay powered even when the computer is off might be affected because of that, and yes I turned off fast start and turned off selective suspension, couldnt update the universal serial bus controller because there wasnt an option for me. I didnt find any solution... and the electricity bill is higher because of this. If you have a fix please tell me

So back to the original thing can devices that are powered while the computer is off die or have problems?

:)

Byemax, Sep 23, 2020

2. I cannot see how much power USB devices draw

Hi Suat,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Perform the following steps, as applicable, to troubleshoot USB devices that are not working correctly:

• Power: If the USB device operates on battery power,
      make sure all the power connections are secure and the power cord is connected to a power source.
    • Test the USB connection: Sometimes, simply disconnecting and reconnecting the USB device to the computer can solve the problem:

• Disconnect all USB devices from the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and cameras.
      • With all USB devices disconnected, do one of the following:
        • If you have a desktop computer, connect the device that is not working correctly to one of the USB ports on the back of the computer (the ports attached directly to the motherboard).
        • If you have a notebook computer, connect the device that is not working correctly to a USB port on the notebook. Do not use a USB port replicator (such as a docking station or USB hub).

What happens when the device is connected?

• The device works correctly: The problem is most likely related to power or poor overall system performance.

Let us know the status.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Sep 23, 2020
  3. USB Device taking up too much power, must disconnect

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to reinstall the USB drivers and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key + X, and select Device Manager
    • Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section by clicking on the
      "+" sign.
    • Uninstall each of the devices under the
      USB Controller section by right-clicking on each one, and then clicking
      Uninstall.
    • Close the Device Manager and
      restart your computer. Windows will automatically re-install the USB controllers in your computer, without you having to do anything further. Your computer will now run USB devices properly.
    Also update chipset drivers for USB for windows 10 from the manufacturer’s website.

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

The power troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix any incorrect power settings. Refer to these steps to run this troubleshooter:

• Type Troubleshooting in the search box.
    • Click on Troubleshooting and select the
      option on the left pane.
    • Click on Power troubleshooter and follow the prompts.
    Hope it helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 23, 2020
  4. Could usbs powering a device while the computer is off for a long period of time kill it or...

Computer takes too long time to boot to Desktop screen.

Hi,

Before we assist you, we would like to know the below information,

• Do you receive an error code message?

• Which Windows 10 build is installed on the Computer?

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    There are two possible explanations:

• An external device (mouse, printer) could be the culprit;

• This issue could be due to outdated display drivers and updating them could make the black screen disappear.
    I suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1 – Check the external devices

• Unplug all external devices

• Restart the computer

• If the black screen has disappeared, add the devices back one at a time to see which piece of hardware is causing this issue

• Once identified, install updated drivers for that particular piece of hardware.

Method 2: I suggest you to
    install the updates
    again using the steps below, and restart the computer.

• Click on Check for updates, Windows will automatically download the latest updates.
    • In search type Check for updates and hit enter.
    If the computer does not load up within 1 minute, I suggest you to Press & hold the power button down until the laptop or PC clicks off. Leave for 1 minute and start up again using the power button. The upgrading windows screen should appear
    soon after.

Method 3:

I suggest you to follow the Fast startup option Settings, if you are able to boot to the desktop screen.

• You may also try enabling the Fast Startup.

• Press Windows
      + X key and click Control Panel.

• Click on Power options.

• Click on "Choose what the power buttons do".

• Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable". If it prompts to click on yes, then click
      yes.

• Uncheck "Turn on fast startup (Recommended)" under shutdown settings.

• Click Save changes
      to configure the settings.

Method 4: Try updating the display driver through device manager and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.

• Select Device Manager.

• Expand Display Adapter.

• Right click on the Display Adapter and click on
        Update driver software.
    If that does not helps, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Display driver.

Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the display driver.

• Right click on start screen.

• Select Device manager.

• Expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display card driver and click
      Uninstall.

• Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click
      OK to remove the driver.

• After the un-installation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

Could usbs powering a device while the computer is off for a long period of time kill it or...

1. Could usbs powering a device while the computer is off for a long period of time kill it or... - Similar Threads - usbs powering device

2. New PC takes a long time to power off/reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC takes a long time to power off/reset: Hi everyone,I don't even know if this is a Windows related issue or it is completely hardware related, but I'll ask in case someone can help troubleshoot this. On my new PC, even though Windows only takes 5-6 seconds to shutdown screen switches off, zero HDD activity, the...
  3. New PC takes a long time to power off/reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC takes a long time to power off/reset: Hi everyone,I don't even know if this is a Windows related issue or it is completely hardware related, but I'll ask in case someone can help troubleshoot this. On my new PC, even though Windows only takes 5-6 seconds to shutdown screen switches off, zero HDD activity, the...
  4. Troubleshooting hibernation issue: long time to power off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshooting hibernation issue: long time to power off: Hi.Whenever my PC is sent into hibernation, it normally takes few seconds. System drive is an SSD NVMe M.2, 16 GB RAM. But sometimes, it takes extraordinary much longer, e.g . 1-3 minutes without an obvious reason. That means, memory usage is low to average.I've used WPR to...
  5. Troubleshooting hibernation issue: long time to power off

Troubleshooting hibernation issue: long time to power off: Hi.Whenever my PC is sent into hibernation, it normally takes few seconds. System drive is an SSD NVMe M.2, 16 GB RAM. But sometimes, it takes extraordinary much longer, e.g . 1-3 minutes without an obvious reason. That means, memory usage is low to average.I've used WPR to...
  6. Troubleshooting hibernation issue: long time to power off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer restarts when the screens turn off after period of time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer restarts when the screens turn off after period of time: I have noticed that when I leave my computer to do various things, I come back and my PC has restarted. I noticed this only happens when the monitors turn off automatically after the timer set in my settings. I have tested my RAM using the Windows memory diagnostics tools and...
  8. Computer restarts when the screens turn off after period of time

Computer restarts when the screens turn off after period of time: I have noticed that when I leave my computer to do various things, I come back and my PC has restarted. I noticed this only happens when the monitors turn off automatically after the timer set in my settings. I have tested my RAM using the Windows memory diagnostics tools and...
  9. Stuck at welcome screen for unusually long period of time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck at welcome screen for unusually long period of time: Hi, I have been having this issue for quite a long time now. It started post a windows update if I am not wrong. So whenever I restart my PC and enter my pin, it gets stuck for around 10 minutes in the welcome screen. I tried solving this issue using dskchk, DISM tool and...
  10. USB-C will not provide power to external device while it is off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB-C will not provide power to external device while it is off: Hi, I recently bought a new USB-C monitor and I am experiencing a strange issue. The device will not power on unless it is connected to an external power source a wall outlet, but once the device is on, the USB-C is able to provide enough power to run the monitor. It...