Windows 10: Could Windows 10 Be the Last Stand-Alone Windows Release?

Discus and support Could Windows 10 Be the Last Stand-Alone Windows Release? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft finally shared more details about Windows 10 in a press conference on Wednesday, and in addition to all those great features that will come... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jan 21, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Could Windows 10 Be the Last Stand-Alone Windows Release?

More

:)

labeeman, Jan 21, 2015
  2. mlg63 Win User

I have a new computer with Windows 10 and my Epson scanner V 330 now works sporadically.

Check with Epson for the drivers and scanner software for windows 10 for both units. There is win 10 software for the V330. Stand alone scanners do not run well on windows 10. You might be better off using the new model for everything. The 2 epsons could
    be conflicting depending on which one you used last. You have to install both as separate units.

mlg63, Jan 21, 2015
  3. J-Sch9 Win User
    Windows 7 Family Pack licenses and Windows 10 upgrades

"Quote from Microsoft:

Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you.... Every time you transfer
    the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device.

This pertains to retail licenses. "

I thought my Windows 7 family pack was a retail license. How could it not be considered "stand-alone software"?

And if it is a retail license, doesn't "also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software"
    mean that I now have 3 Windows 10 retail licenses?

Note: If you answer yes, you have to tell me how I go about installing Windows 10 on a computer after the free upgrade period.

Thanks for all the help Could Windows 10 Be the Last Stand-Alone Windows Release? :)

J-Sch9, Jan 21, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I would not be surprised. In fact I expect it.. if MS can get the upgrade to work well for the release of Win10 I'm game for it.

BunnyJ, Jan 21, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    I'm not sure why this is suddenly a huge surprise, as when the first preview was released this was already being talked about on the official blogs. News flash, someone says something that was said 9 months ago, suddenly news again.

Mystere, Jan 22, 2015
  6. Superfly Win User
    Eventually *Rolleyes ...get rid of the dead-wood and all's good.

Superfly, Jan 22, 2015
  7. Robinb9 Win User
    it will all depend if the upgrade goes well for windows 7 users or the likelihood of ppl upgrading will be nil. I can see 8.1 users upgrading, it is basically the same as windows 10 with a few extra features so it is less if things go wrong.

Robinb9, Jan 22, 2015
  8. Could Windows 10 Be the Last Stand-Alone Windows Release?

I kept saying this some weeks prior to the first TP release. No surprise to me at all.

Jody Thornton, Jan 23, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

There will ALWAYS have to be some type of clean install -- people forget that sometimes new hardware is actually bought these days too !!!! - whether the OEM installs windows or the end user if it's a brand new machine there will have to be an initial install.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 23, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    You talking to me?

adamf, Jan 23, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    You talking to me? *Huh Huh??

BunnyJ, Jan 23, 2015
  12. I would agree there. Maybe in a year, you could get an OEM DVD-ROM installation that has the complete OS with the last seven revisions built right in. And then you'd have to download the last two builds to completely update your system.

Jody Thornton, Jan 23, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

I would agree there. Maybe in a year, you could get an OEM DVD-ROM installation that has the complete OS with the last seven revisions built right in. And then you'd have to download the last two builds to completely update your system. The DVD is already listed on Newegg for sale. So I suspect it will come out when the new OS is released.

BunnyJ, Jan 23, 2015
  14. Hmm. After reading this, my brain went blank Could Windows 10 Be the Last Stand-Alone Windows Release? :p

Fahadking07, Jan 23, 2015
  15. Mystere Win User
    Yes, of course there will... but what there won't be is a full on big release version like we have had in the past, more like what happened with Windows 8.1, and the various updates that followed.

What will happen is that Microsoft will release rolling updates that include all patches and new features using the "flighting" technology. New installs will start from a base, then update to the latest, and Microsoft will periodically update the base image to include the recent flights.

Mystere, Jan 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Could Windows 10 Be the Last Stand-Alone Windows Release? - Similar Threads - Last Stand Alone

2. 22H2 offline stand-alone upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    22H2 offline stand-alone upgrade: How can I manually upgrade a Windows 10 machine from version 20H2 to 22H2 without connecting it to the internet? It's completely stand alone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/22h2-offline-stand-alone-upgrade/9fb5855f-e8b8-4108-998e-e2a9728827d9
  3. 22H2 offline stand-alone upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    22H2 offline stand-alone upgrade: How can I manually upgrade a Windows 10 machine from version 20H2 to 22H2 without connecting it to the internet? It's completely stand alone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/22h2-offline-stand-alone-upgrade/9fb5855f-e8b8-4108-998e-e2a9728827d9
  4. 22H2 offline stand-alone upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Stand alone games not launching...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stand alone games not launching...: EVE online and Elder Scrolls online aren't launching properly. All my games in Steam have no issues. For some reason games outside of Steam and Microsoft games there is a glitch. The games try and load .... then nothing. It's weird. I just updated my motherboard recently and...
  6. Stand alone games not launching...

Stand alone games not launching...: EVE online and Elder Scrolls online aren't launching properly. All my games in Steam have no issues. For some reason games outside of Steam and Microsoft games there is a glitch. The games try and load .... then nothing. It's weird. I just updated my motherboard recently and...
  7. win 11 stand alone OEM?

win 11 stand alone OEM?: Is windows 11 only an upgrade from win 8 or 10? with all the problems I read on win 11 upgrade I don't want to upgrade to 11. I build my own computers, my question is will win 11 be available as an OEM so I can do a stand alone full install on a new computer build?...
  8. win 11 stand alone OEM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 11 stand alone OEM?: Is windows 11 only an upgrade from win 8 or 10? with all the problems I read on win 11 upgrade I don't want to upgrade to 11. I build my own computers, my question is will win 11 be available as an OEM so I can do a stand alone full install on a new computer build?...
  9. H.264 stand alone DVR

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    H.264 stand alone DVR: I cannot view my home security system (h.264) in microsoft edge i have set all my ports forwarding in my router and they are open and my router is not blocking those Any suggestions Charlie...
  10. Microsoft Excel stand alone disk.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Excel stand alone disk.: Can I purchase a Microsoft Excel stand alone disk for my DELL Desk Top computer? And, if I can, where do I purchase it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-excel-stand-alone-disk/097fac70-11ef-4894-af03-ff0d504a3595"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. WinRE notpetya