Windows 10: Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD

Discus and support Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; HI there, Recently I upgraded my PC with new motherboard, new CPU and new RAM. I plugged back my old SSD to the new motherboard. However, when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MTC147, Dec 27, 2018.

1. MTC147 Win User

Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD

HI there, Recently I upgraded my PC with new motherboard, new CPU and new RAM. I plugged back my old SSD to the new motherboard. However, when I logged into the Windows (it is win10 pro, offer from win7 free upgrade). The activation of windows became invalid and keep informing me to re-activate. Then I used the troubleshooting tools provided, it does show my old PC but not the new one. Therefore, I couldn't finish the activation with the new hardware. Is there any other method for me to re-activate? Thanks

:)

MTC147, Dec 27, 2018

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Dec 27, 2018
  3. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Dec 27, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Activation after new hardware upgrades?

But you had never upgraded that motherboard from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 previously? That was the first step of my suggestion.

It should have been install fresh SSD on the new motherboard. Install Windows 7 on it. Upgrade it to Windows 10. THEN copy the other Windows 10 image over to it.

NavyLCDR, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD - Similar Threads - Couldn't activate motherboard

2. Activating new SSD with the old license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating new SSD with the old license: Hi! I have Windows 11 and i want to switch to a new ssd. I dont want to copy anityng from the old ssd exept the license. A year ago i had win 10 and i upgraded to win 11. My license is : OEM_COA_NSLP channel.Can i copy the license?...
  3. Activating new SSD with the old license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating new SSD with the old license: Hi! I have Windows 11 and i want to switch to a new ssd. I dont want to copy anityng from the old ssd exept the license. A year ago i had win 10 and i upgraded to win 11. My license is : OEM_COA_NSLP channel.Can i copy the license?...
  4. New Motherboard, old User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Motherboard, old User: My old Motherboard broke, i recently got a new one and added another boot up drive, turning my original one into storage, i wanted to keep my original User as it contains my passwords and my Windows 10 License, but i don;t know how.Is there a way to regain my original User??...
  5. New Motherboard, old User

New Motherboard, old User: My old Motherboard broke, i recently got a new one and added another boot up drive, turning my original one into storage, i wanted to keep my original User as it contains my passwords and my Windows 10 License, but i don;t know how.Is there a way to regain my original User??...
  6. New motherboard, same ssd

New motherboard, same ssd: So, I am purchasing a new motherboard as the current one I have is having issues and has just ran out of warranty MSI B-550 A-ProHowever, I do not want to do a fresh install of windows, so how can I transfer my m.2 ssd over. is it just swapping over or is there more to...
  7. Advice on re-activating existing O/S on new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Advice on re-activating existing O/S on new motherboard: I have to replace a dead motherboard and CPU in my daughter's PC. I am reusing her hard drives. She has Windows 10 Pro installed, with a Win 10 Pro Refurb Prod Key on the label on the case. If the H/W is properly installed, will it boot and activate Windows O/S after the...
  8. Upgrading to new motherboard but already have windows on old ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading to new motherboard but already have windows on old ssd: If I upgrade to a new motherboard, would it be fine if I just connect my old ssd to it and boot windows from there or would there be complications? submitted by /u/Rocketmanjoey [link] [comments]...
  9. New motherboard - windows 10 re-activation

New motherboard - windows 10 re-activation: Hi, just recently needed to replace my motherboard and now Windows thinks it's a new computer. I had Windows 10 pre-installed, so it is a digital license. When I try to troubleshoot and pick the option that I recently changed hardware, I always get the option Unable to...
  10. Old Motherboard and Windows Activation

Old Motherboard and Windows Activation: Code 0xC004F211 - Windows reported that the hardware of your device has changed. I have had some trouble with motherboard over the last couple of months, switching between a gigabyte and msi. Both these mobos decided to die and I got gifted another msi mobo from a friend...