Windows 10: Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect

Discus and support Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello All, Thanks to this site, I am keen to try Macrium Reflect (Free). I intend to back up to an external drive. I will most likely use Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jeddie, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Jeddie Win User

Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect

Hello All,

Thanks to this site, I am keen to try Macrium Reflect (Free). I intend to back up to an external drive. I will most likely use Windows File History for individual Files / Folders (Photos, videos, documents etc).

A couple of basic questions come to mind;

1. Can the Rescue Media I create using MR, be saved onto the same External drive where I will save both my System Image and my File History back up? Or does the Rescue Media need to be saved onto a seperate USB or CD/DVD?

2. When does this Rescue Media need to be updated? How will I know when to do it? What is the trigger?

3. In regard to creating a Full Backup Image; I know the free version will allow differential back ups. So I guess I will have a large file (Original Full Backup) followed by several differential back ups?

How many differential back up files do you save before another complete Full Back up is required?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Jeddie, Mar 18, 2017

2. System backup

Rob thank you for your very prompt reply but I still have a couple of questions.

First, if the hard drive on my computer crashes and I replace the hard drive, can I use Macrium Reflect to reinstall
    everything
    back on the computer (windows, apps, files, email etc.)?

Second, if the hard drive on my computer crashes and I replace the computer with a new computer, can I use Macrium Reflect to install everything on
    the new computer (windows, apps, files, email etc.)?

Larry Buschman, Mar 18, 2017
  3. BruceTR Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

I'm using Macrium Reflect Free. Macrium doesn't provide support for the Free version. If they did, I'd be asking Macrium my question.

Macrium does offer a KB and a Forum. The Forum is view-only unless you own a paid version. You cannot post questions without owning a paid version.

In searching the KB and Forum, I could not find an answer to my question. Thus, I came here.

BruceTR, Mar 18, 2017
  4. OldMike65 Win User

You will get most likely a lot of different methods on how to use Macrium Reflect. That being said, this is how I do mine.*Smile

I always make my Rescue disk on a USB stick formatted Fat. This way if you can't boot into your Windows 10, you can always boot from your bootable rescue usb drive. Then access your external drive and restore one of your image backups. CD's and DVD's are a die'n breed. You only need a 4GB USB stick, cost about 6 dollars or less.

Your Rescue Media should be updated with every new update released from Macrium Reflect. Everyday when you startup MR it automatically checks for New Updates, and will tell you. We also post new update information on here too.

I never make differential backups, I always make complete image backups, you can mount your complete image backup later if you want and pick out anything files of folders and just restore what you choose too. I think differential backups are a waste of time. Clicking on one of your image backups will temporarily assign it a drive letter on your Windows 10. showing you all your files and folders. When you are done, all you do then is just Unmount that drive.

Hope this helps you understand how Macrium works a little better. Take Care, Mike. *Smile

OldMike65, Mar 18, 2017
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    I have a different opinion about differential backups. One of my PCs has 156 GB of programs/data so making frequent full image backups is way too time consuming, taking about 2 hours including verifying. I also don't want to go too long between backups in case something goes wrong like a wonky MS update, hardware failure, or ransomware. So I make a full image backup once every two weeks or so and then at the end of each day I run a differential backup. Usually that takes only a few minutes unless of course I made major changes like installing a new piece of software and then I do a full image. This keeps me safe without consuming too much time. Of course everyone needs to design a backup strategy that suits how the use thier PC and their tolerance for risk.

SoFine409, Mar 18, 2017
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    No offense intended SoFine, but on both my computers, a complete image backup and verify takes no more than 5 to 6 mins. I do have Samsung SSD's on both thou.

OldMike65, Mar 18, 2017
  7. Same here. I make weekly full backups with my Macrium schedule. Takes only a few minutes.

stealth2920, Mar 18, 2017
  8. topgundcp Win User

Yes. Create a separate partition on the external about 512KB, format as FAT32, set it as Active. Next create an ISO rescue then extract the content with WinRar/Winzip/7-zip.
    FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD
    Normally whenever a new update version of Macrium, create another ISO in step 1, unzip it to overwrite the previous version.
    Depend how you set up your Windows. Personally, I only have Windows 10 on a SSD, no data/Documents/Videos/Music etc... so the backup process only takes around 2 minutes 30 seconds, not enough time for me to make a cup of coffee. With new version 7, the restore process takes under 1 minutes.

topgundcp, Mar 18, 2017
  9. SoFine409 Win User
    None taken OldMike.

SoFine409, Mar 18, 2017
  10. RolandJS Win User
    Youse guys got to be kidding me about full image backups only taking a few minutes. Exactly how much occupied byte-space is your OS partition and same question about your Data partition.

RolandJS, Mar 19, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    It takes me about 10 minutes to backup about 110GB of SSD to HDD, resulting .mrimg files is about 30% smaller that total of SSD's usage. Size and times vary of course but this is my average. Process doesn't take much of resources so it's actually "Fire and forget" and can also be set to shut computer down when finished. Perfect for end of day backup, start it and go elsewhere and it will turn everything off by itself. No need to sit and look at it, I can do other work while it runs.

CountMike, Mar 19, 2017
  12. I use Macrium and back up my C drive once a week (68 GB) Win 10 only on that drive. Takes approximately 9 min last backup. My D drive takes longer as all my games, photos, other data is on that drive (320 GB). It takes approximately 20 mins. All my drives are Samsung SSD's. They both back up to a separate Samsung 1 TB SSD.

stealth2920, Mar 19, 2017
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Well my C-Drive that I do a complete image backup is not that large, SSD drive, (30GB) which is then backed up to a WD Drive .
    I do get VERY High speeds during the backup also, screen shot below.

Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect [​IMG]

On my 2nd computer which Windows 10 is larger (45GB) it still only takes 6 mins on that computer.

OldMike65, Mar 19, 2017
  14. Macrium Reflect is great, fast and very reliable.

Josey Wales, Mar 19, 2017
  15. Clive K Win User
    Mine takes less than two minutes imaging my system(c*Smile. It's about 16gb. That's all I image. It takes an additional couple minutes to boot up the MR stick and to reboot the system.
    I use Free File Sync for data.

Clive K, Mar 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect - Similar Threads - Couple Nooby questions

2. A couple Macrium Reflect questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    A couple Macrium Reflect questions: Stuff like this should be obvious but I'm at a loss. I made a full system backup, and plan on doing daily incremental backups to a dedicated external drive. To open Macrium, I had to Ok UAC. Once the backup was made, I exited the program. Will Macrium do the incremental...
  3. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I know with Macrium free version you can make 4 differential backups. What's not clear to me is it 4 differential backups per full backup or 4 differential backups total. Thanks in advance for any replies. Mark 140588
  4. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I know with Macrium free version you can make 4 differential backups. What's not clear to me is it 4 differential backups per full backup or 4 differential backups total. Thanks in advance for any replies. Mark 140588
  5. Question about Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi. I hope this doesn't sound dumb but I created a Macrium Rescue Media on a USB stick and also on the Boot menu. Am I correct in assuming that there is no problem with doing this as now I would have the option of using the USB stick in the event that I can't boot into...
  6. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I apologize because the question I'm about to ask was basically answered in a previous post by me but I'd like to be very clear on this. If I make a full backup image with Macrium then let's say a week later I make a differential backup. If at some point I want to restore...
  7. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I apologize because the question I'm about to ask was basically answered in a previous post by me but I'd like to be very clear on this. If I make a full backup image with Macrium then let's say a week later I make a differential backup. If at some point I want to restore...
  8. Question about using Macrium Reflect

Question about using Macrium Reflect: Hi. I'll be making a system image using Macrium Reflect for the first time. I will backup the Windows (C) Drive, Windows RE Tools and the EFI System Partitions. I'd like to know if I should also backup the Recovery Drive (D). Thanks in advance for any replies. Note that I did...
  9. Question about Macrium Reflect

Question about Macrium Reflect: Better late than never, but I've finally started using backup/cloning software, namely Macrium Reflect considering all the praise it gets. But I need to ask, is downloading the PE files used for creating a restore USB necessary if I'm just going to be cloning my drive?...
  10. A Question About Macrium Reflect

A Question About Macrium Reflect: Will Macrium take care of it when making the Bootable rescue media on a USB or do I need a third party tool to make partitions and to make it Bootable? I'v got a brand new USB flash Drive that's factory formatted to FAT32. Do I need to make any further prep with it? 97810