Windows 10: Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect

Discus and support Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; OP 1) strongly recommend you create a MR Rescue usb drive. 2) Also from "other tasks", select option to create a boot entry for Macrium (as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jeddie, Mar 18, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect

OP

1) strongly recommend you create a MR Rescue usb drive.

2) Also from "other tasks", select option to create a boot entry for Macrium (as a dual boot option).

cereberus, Mar 20, 2017
  2. SoFine409 Win User

Hi OldMike. Reading your post motivated me to replaced my 2TB spinner (for data) with a Samsung 1TB that was on sale at a local store. It definitely improved my backup times, like cut them by more than half. That said its never going to be really fast because I have two SSDs with a combined total of 238 GBs backing up to a NAS. That why I do differential whenever possible.
    Bob

I just replaced the HDD with all my data files with an SDD earlier todat and it really improved my backup times.

SoFine409, Mar 20, 2017
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    That is Great news !!! You will love your new found speed. *Smile Also My Macrium Reflect is version 7.0 Registered . And 7.0 seems even faster than their older versions.

OldMike65, Mar 20, 2017
  4. SoFine409 Win User

Yup, I got my upgrade as well and its definitely faster. So glad I dumped Acronis. I cannot believe I put up with Acronis for so long. That's another good thing that being part or this forum did for me.

SoFine409, Mar 20, 2017
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Thats kinda funny, as I did the exact same thing ...dumped Acronis 2 years ago now....*Smile

OldMike65, Mar 20, 2017
  6. Jeddie Win User
    @OldMike65
    Thanks for response. Can I ask why you format the USB as FAT?

Jeddie, Mar 22, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    It has to be FAT32 to boot on UEFI systems. If you have a large capacity one and want to store backup image as well, you select option to split backup into separate files and set max size less than 4GB.

cereberus, Mar 22, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

When restoring a v7 image over aame drive but with files changed, Rapid Delta Restore is awesome.

Rougly if 10℅ of files have changed, it takes 10℅ of time to restore.

Great when you get a virus or malware, or you use ccleaner and go 'crap I did not mean to do that!).

Restoring full images seems to be quicker slightly as well.

cereberus, Mar 22, 2017
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    cereberus has correctly answered your question. Sorry for the late reply, was not on computer until just now. *Smile
    ( Post #20 )

OldMike65, Mar 22, 2017
  10. Jeddie Win User
    Just one more question if I may.
    If I can mount a saved image back up of my PC and copy back any individual file or folder, is there any point in using Windows File History to handle back ups of my photos/music etc?

Jeddie, Apr 15, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    I use both.

I find file history simpler as you can easily move back and forward through time rather than mounting an image and seeing if a file is there. I also backup changed documents hourly which is handy if you make a mistake on a document you are working on.

12. OldMike65 Win User
    I have turned off anything to do with Windows Backup. *Smile All you need is Macrium Reflect and your MR rescue disk, unless you add it to your Boot Menu. Still always good to keep your rescue disk current and up to date.

But I'm sure you will get different opinions on this subject. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 15, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

What is important here is to evaluate your data usage/needs. For LX07, he finds FHB useful. In my case, most of my data is videos, and FHB is way more complicated than I need and simple file explorer is adequate to copy stuff.

I keep data on a separate drive from OS+Progs as it means my main drive only really changes significantly when I install new programs or get a build upgrade. I do not always image backup after a cumulative update simply accepting I may have to update to them again but tbh that is me being a bit lazy.

What I would not do is put all data on same drive as OS and progs because it can create massive backup images.

cereberus, Apr 15, 2017
  14. topgundcp Win User
    FYI, This is not true. The real reason for formatting with FAT32 is for backward compatible with old version of UEFI firmware, with new version of UEFI firmware, it'll boot whether it's FAT32 or NTFS.

topgundcp, Apr 15, 2017
  15. lx07 Win User
    Well actually it is true. There is no mention at all of NTFS in the UEFI specifications.

While you might have UEFI firmware that contains NTFS drivers the UEFI standard doesn't require them and none (neither) of my UEFI systems have them.

Specifications | Unified Extensible Firmware Interface Forum

I need to load EFI NTFS drivers to access NTFS. This isn't required for booting Windows as the Windows loader deals with that but if you want to be able to access NTFS file system for some other reason you may well need them - I certainly do.

The rEFInd Boot Manager: Using EFI Drivers

Sorry to be so pedantic but I was reading the UEFI specs the other day for some reason.

Thema:

1. Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect - Similar Threads - Couple Nooby questions

2. A couple Macrium Reflect questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    A couple Macrium Reflect questions: Stuff like this should be obvious but I'm at a loss. I made a full system backup, and plan on doing daily incremental backups to a dedicated external drive. To open Macrium, I had to Ok UAC. Once the backup was made, I exited the program. Will Macrium do the incremental...
  3. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I know with Macrium free version you can make 4 differential backups. What's not clear to me is it 4 differential backups per full backup or 4 differential backups total. Thanks in advance for any replies. Mark 140588
  4. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I know with Macrium free version you can make 4 differential backups. What's not clear to me is it 4 differential backups per full backup or 4 differential backups total. Thanks in advance for any replies. Mark 140588
  5. Question about Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi. I hope this doesn't sound dumb but I created a Macrium Rescue Media on a USB stick and also on the Boot menu. Am I correct in assuming that there is no problem with doing this as now I would have the option of using the USB stick in the event that I can't boot into...
  6. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I apologize because the question I'm about to ask was basically answered in a previous post by me but I'd like to be very clear on this. If I make a full backup image with Macrium then let's say a week later I make a differential backup. If at some point I want to restore...
  7. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I apologize because the question I'm about to ask was basically answered in a previous post by me but I'd like to be very clear on this. If I make a full backup image with Macrium then let's say a week later I make a differential backup. If at some point I want to restore...
  8. Question about using Macrium Reflect

Question about using Macrium Reflect: Hi. I'll be making a system image using Macrium Reflect for the first time. I will backup the Windows (C) Drive, Windows RE Tools and the EFI System Partitions. I'd like to know if I should also backup the Recovery Drive (D). Thanks in advance for any replies. Note that I did...
  9. Question about Macrium Reflect

Question about Macrium Reflect: Better late than never, but I've finally started using backup/cloning software, namely Macrium Reflect considering all the praise it gets. But I need to ask, is downloading the PE files used for creating a restore USB necessary if I'm just going to be cloning my drive?...
  10. A Question About Macrium Reflect

A Question About Macrium Reflect: Will Macrium take care of it when making the Bootable rescue media on a USB or do I need a third party tool to make partitions and to make it Bootable? I'v got a brand new USB flash Drive that's factory formatted to FAT32. Do I need to make any further prep with it? 97810