Windows 10: Couple of seconds of black screen when opening documents in protected view

Discus and support Couple of seconds of black screen when opening documents in protected view in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; At some point during the last month, every time I open a MS Office document (whether Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) in protected view mode, my monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JoseGomezNZ, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Couple of seconds of black screen when opening documents in protected view

At some point during the last month, every time I open a MS Office document (whether Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) in protected view mode, my monitor goes black for a couple of seconds (as in being disconnected momentarily) and then comes back.

This happens only when trying to open a second (or subsequent) document of the same type. The first document will open correctly, whether in protected view mode or not; but when opening a subsequent document of the same type (i.e. Word) if it's one that will open in protected view, the black screen happens.

It does not happen with any document if you alternate types (say a Word document, then Excel, then Word again, then Excel again), but it does if you do it in sequence (i.e. Word protected view opens OK, then Word protected view opens with black screen; then Excel editable document opens OK, then Excel editable document opens OK, then Excel protected view opens with black screen).

Would you be able to let me know how to fix this, or what updates I need to uninstall to go back to normal?

I'm operating Windows 10 Enterprise; with Office 2016. All with all updates installed. Thanks.

:)

JoseGomezNZ, Nov 1, 2019

2. How can I stop Excel and Word hanging when trying to open documents in Protected View

I have recently started encountering a problem with my Office 2016 installation on Windows 10 where any attempt to open Word or Excel documents in Protected View cause the application to hang indefinitely before the document is opened.

This happens with documents which I have received by e-mail or downloaded from the Internet.

I can copy these files to a folder and 'Unblock' them by editing the properties, or (as many, many other websites suggest) I could disable Protected View altogether.

However - Protected View is obviously there for a reason, so I'd rather resolve the problem than simply turn off the protection!

Chris Roberts, Nov 1, 2019
  3. juseasy Win User
    PDFs and Office Documents opening with black screen

Hi,

For the past week and a half any PDFs or office documents that I try to open either from a website or from email do not open. They open up as a black screen, not blank but BLACK.

Occasionally one will open. Around October 12 there was a Windows 10 update pushed out so I tried rolling it back. This worked for about an hour but then the same problem occurred again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

juseasy, Nov 1, 2019
  4. Couple of seconds of black screen when opening documents in protected view

Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Nov 1, 2019
Thema:

Couple of seconds of black screen when opening documents in protected view

1. Couple of seconds of black screen when opening documents in protected view - Similar Threads - Couple seconds black

2. Screen goes black every couple of seconds, but when i delete the drivers the problem stops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black every couple of seconds, but when i delete the drivers the problem stops.: I feel like i have tried everything to fix this problem. This has been going on for about a month i haven't even been able to use my computer. This started happening randomly one day when i loaded up my computer, and ever since, the problem has stayed. I have tried deleting...
  3. Screen goes black every couple of seconds, but when i delete the drivers the problem stops.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen goes black every couple of seconds, but when i delete the drivers the problem stops.: I feel like i have tried everything to fix this problem. This has been going on for about a month i haven't even been able to use my computer. This started happening randomly one day when i loaded up my computer, and ever since, the problem has stayed. I have tried deleting...
  4. Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds: Hello everyone, TL;DR: After building a new PC and installing Windows 10, the system freezes for 20-60s with a brief black screen at the end after every 5-10 seconds of "normal" usability. Needless to say, the system is not usable like this. I've tried many things and I...
  5. Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds: TL;DR: After building a new PC and installing Windows 10, the system freezes for 20-60s with a brief black screen at the end after every 5-10 seconds of "normal" usability. Needless to say, the system is not usable like this. I've tried many things and I cannot even pin-point...
  6. Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds: Hello everyone, TL;DR: After building a new PC and installing Windows 10, the system freezes for 20-60s with a brief black screen at the end after every 5-10 seconds of "normal" usability. Needless to say, the system is not usable like this. I've tried many things and I...
  7. Opening password protected documents

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Opening password protected documents: So I just had my Windows 10 installed (I previously had Windows 7) and I had some word documents that I saved on my external hard disk that were password protected and I even uploaded them on my drive. And as you can imagine, I cannot open them right now neither from my hard...
  8. My screen keeps going black for a couple of seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My screen keeps going black for a couple of seconds: As in title - every few minutes the screen goes black for a second or two regardless of whether I'm on the Internet or not - very annoying!...
  9. PDFs and Office Documents opening with black screen

in Microsoft Office and 365
    PDFs and Office Documents opening with black screen: Hi, For the past week and a half any PDFs or office documents that I try to open either from a website or from email do not open. They open up as a black screen, not blank but BLACK. Occasionally one will open. Around October 12 there was a Windows 10 update pushed out...
  10. Black screen and then a couple of seconds video delay....?

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen and then a couple of seconds video delay....?: My laptop screen blanks every 15 minutes or so.... I can then bring it back with a touch to the mousepad. I did a W8> W10 upgrade and everything else seems to work okay. I did have to re-install the internal wireless adapter, but otherwise and excellent upgrade....