Windows 10: CPU Affinity defaulting to only using 4/12 cores for all processes.

Discus and support CPU Affinity defaulting to only using 4/12 cores for all processes. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; All processes start with an affinity that only uses the first 4 cores. Is this normal? Any ideas what to look into to find the cause if it is not? I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vttbg, Oct 29, 2019.

1. /u/vttbg Win User

CPU Affinity defaulting to only using 4/12 cores for all processes.

All processes start with an affinity that only uses the first 4 cores. Is this normal? Any ideas what to look into to find the cause if it is not? I'm using an i9 and an asus motherboard if that helps...

Please don't tell me I can set it myself with task manager... that is a garbage workaround and is blocked on some processes.

submitted by /u/vttbg
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vttbg, Oct 29, 2019
  2. Davie_C Win User

How to set 8 core cpu in affinity settings

Here is how to set your affinity settings using 8 core cpu splitting them into two 4 cpu cores

cmd.exe /c start "WoWSLauncher" /affinity F "C:\Games\World_of_Warships\WoWSLauncher.exe"

As you can see I added "F" next to /affinity that will let you use just 4 cores 0,1,2,3

I can do it easy in task manager but got to keep doing it everytime i want to play the game.

So if you want to use 0 1 2 3 cores just for the game you would add "F" in your line like so..

for cores 4,5,6,7 Do this....

Add F0 next to /affinity like so

cmd.exe /c start "obs32" /affinity F0 "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\32bit\obs32.exe"

cmd.exe /c start "obs64" /affinity F0 "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe"

Depends on if using 32 or 64bit of the os.

If doing it for obs it will not work as it can't find locale\eng-US.ini and failed to load locale but file is there.

So thats how you would set your affinity settings splitting 8 cores into two 4 cores

Am using windows 10.

You want to use 0,1,2,3 for the game and 4,5,6,7 for obs.

Only thing is that it does not save the settings of affinity after you exit the game it will return back to 8 cores when you start the game again.

So if anyone knows how to Save the settings then please post here as i have hunted on the net for awhile now.

Davie_C, Oct 30, 2019
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    CPU / CPU Processor problems / Processor affinity

Hi,

It's possible that some of your computer's processors have been disabled, causing this slow performance. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Just to confirm, how many processors are on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type System Information, and press Enter. The processor value depends on your computer, and will show something like Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s).
    • Do other programs also show CPU 0 for Processor Affinity?
    • What other applications use up the CPU in Task Manager? Please post a screenshot.
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.

Yolvi Ell, Oct 30, 2019
  4. bobkn Win User

Unable to set core affinity

I haven't played with setting core affinity in a long time. I also don't use the Steam ecosystem.

If there are multiple processes under a single heading, "Go To Details" isn't available for the whole set. It is available for individual processes. I hope that it's easy for you to determine which of those is appropriate. An example from an uninteresting application:
    CPU Affinity defaulting to only using 4/12 cores for all processes. [​IMG]

bobkn, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

1. CPU Affinity defaulting to only using 4/12 cores for all processes. - Similar Threads - CPU Affinity defaulting

2. Set back CPU affinity to default for an application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set back CPU affinity to default for an application: Hello !I have encountered an issue with a game recently. It was originally designed for a Windows XP SP3 and I'm currently trying to run it on Windows 11. Unfortunately, it kept crashing at various moments with nos real pattern, so I started to dig around for a fix. At some...
  3. Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.: The title basically says it all. Recently for some reason most processes are launched with a default affinity set in task manager to only use the first 4 processor cores/threads. I have an 8 core 16 thread cpu, so this is utilizing only 1/4 of the CPU and I have noticed a...
  4. Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.: The title basically says it all. Recently for some reason most processes are launched with a default affinity set in task manager to only use the first 4 processor cores/threads. I have an 8 core 16 thread cpu, so this is utilizing only 1/4 of the CPU and I have noticed a...
  5. Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Is there a way to pre-change a process cpu affinity?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is there a way to pre-change a process cpu affinity?: I've been playing a game, but it uses all my cores and threads making my computer unstable, is there any way to change the priority of the process before it even starts? I've tried using a key in the registry to change the affinity of a process, I've tried to use a "NT...
  7. Windows 10 only shows 1 core on 4 core CPU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 only shows 1 core on 4 core CPU: I've had my old Windows 7 AutoCAD machine lying around for a really long time in storage, and I just thought I'd drag it out and clean it up. I erased the hard drives which still had Windows 7 and some of my old school stuff on them and installed Windows 10, only to be...
  8. My computer is only using 1 core, cpu comes with 4.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer is only using 1 core, cpu comes with 4.: I am using the hp elitebook with the intel 8265u processor. The one I have comes with 16gb of ram and 4 cores, but when I’m in task manager, it says I am only using one. I have tried going into msconfig, but when I try to change the boot option, it only shows one core. How...
  9. CPU Core Affinity is getting randomly set to only 2 cores on multiple applications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU Core Affinity is getting randomly set to only 2 cores on multiple applications: Title. One minute I'm sitting there playing Factorio, using all of my CPU cores to simulate the game at 60FPS, and then the game all of a sudden only has two CPU cores assigned to it: 20fps. I get this with multiple processes all the time. Chrome; Spotify; some Windows...
  10. All games only using Core 0 by default (causing stuttering)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All games only using Core 0 by default (causing stuttering): Hello, A strange issue appeared out of nowhere on my laptop. I am using Windows 10 and my CPU is a I7-6700-HQ It appears that whenever I run a game, the core 0 always works at 100% capacity, causing stuttering in the game (probably due to clogging), when the other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. affinity mask16 cpus windows powershell

2. set affinity for process powershell 12 core

3. is all processors the default affinity setting for all processes

4. only 4 cores in affinity