Windows 10: CPU always 100 due Windows Defender

Discus and support CPU always 100 due Windows Defender in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hey,I'm recently facing a problem with Windows Defender. A few weeks ago I did a system reset because of a system failure and bsod. I was used to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Levi.078, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Levi.078 Win User

CPU always 100 due Windows Defender

Hey,I'm recently facing a problem with Windows Defender. A few weeks ago I did a system reset because of a system failure and bsod. I was used to use Eset Antivirus but now I'm using just Win Defender. Every time I start up my HP Probook 430 G5 my CPU is always at 100%. In the task manager the 'Antimalware Service Executable' task is always the highest. I just want to lower this. I can't do anything on my computer for about a few minutes because my browser is always lagging. How can I fix this?I already searched a lot on the internet and tried a few things, such as: adding Win Defender to the

:)

Levi.078, Apr 2, 2022

2. 100% CPU Usage after Windows 10 upgrade

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Most of the time, computers only use a small fraction of their CPU power. In fact, many computers use less than 5% of their CPU most of the time. When you open an application, play a video game, or encode media file, the CPU usage will rise or spike temporarily.
    Once the CPU intensive process completes, the CPU usage should once again drop down to lower level. Most applications will not use up more than 50% of your CPU for an extended period of time. However, some programs and system processes can use up a large amount
    of CPU without you even knowing it. This may happen if a program gets stuck in an infinite loop or encounters an unexpected error.

I suggest you to perform Safe mode and Clean boot procedures on the PC by following the steps below.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot your PC in Safe mode by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words
    Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Reboot the PC to exit from Safe mode.

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on
    Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)
    (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Step 2: If the issue persists, perform Clean boot on your PC by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

I suggest you to perform clean boot by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

You can open the system configuration window in Windows 10:

a. Using run command.

• Press Windows Key + R keys on the Keyboard.
      • Type msconfig.msc and press Enter.

b. Using Cortana.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type msconfig.
      • Select the top most search result.
    Follow the steps from 3 under How to perform a clean boot
    for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 from the link below (The steps for clean boot suggested in the link below for
    Windows 8/8.1 is applicable for Windows 10 as well):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    from the link above.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 2, 2022
  3. Windows defender advanced scan extreme cpu overload

I routinely do Windows defender advanced scans. Up until about 2 weeks ago, that is.

All of a sudden the scan was completely maxing out my cpu. I wouldn't say it crashed the computer, but if I tried to do the simplest task while it was running, it rendered the machine unusable due to the draining of resources. Not to mention the scan would disappear, but was still running in the background. The only thing I could do at that point was to wait until it was done scanning, or shut down the unit

I found this thread that's about a year old, followed some of the suggestions, but nothing really helps.

I have no problem with the Quick scan.

High CPU usage when Windows Defender perform a Full Scan in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Windows Defender is my only virus protection, so there is nothing to create a conflict.

I put my defender installer folders in the excluded list. I changed my power settings from High Performance to Balanced.

I ran chkdsk /scan, sfc /scannow, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, and a Memory diagnostic. All normal.

Finally, I did a fresh install.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

kitpzyxmsir, Apr 2, 2022
  4. CPU always 100 due Windows Defender

100% Cpu

Cpu: i5-8600

GPU: RX 580 Series

RAM: 16.0 GB

Motherboard: Aorus

Power supply: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4

Resolution: 2560 x 1080

Was working fine not it just crashes my game the game is Tom Clancys Rainbow six siege but I can barely also start up other games

Thomas Underhill, Apr 2, 2022
Thema:

CPU always 100 due Windows Defender

1. CPU always 100 due Windows Defender - Similar Threads - CPU always 100

2. cpu always at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cpu always at 100%: why is my cpu always at 100%? when I close a process that is apparently using alot of cpu, the next process uses alot. Also even if I enable the balanced power plan and have nothing running except windows processes my cpu's speed is way higher then what its supposed to be and...
  3. cpu always at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cpu always at 100%: why is my cpu always at 100%? when I close a process that is apparently using alot of cpu, the next process uses alot. Also even if I enable the balanced power plan and have nothing running except windows processes my cpu's speed is way higher then what its supposed to be and...
  4. CPU always at 100

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU always at 100: My CPU is always at 100% usage. I looked through a different thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cpu-is-always-running-at-100-in-taskmanager/a054fdf6-cddd-4a97-873d-44b566537168 but I couldn't reply so I'll give more details here.I'm running...
  5. CPU always at 100

CPU always at 100: My CPU is always at 100% usage. I looked through a different thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cpu-is-always-running-at-100-in-taskmanager/a054fdf6-cddd-4a97-873d-44b566537168 but I couldn't reply so I'll give more details here.I'm running...
  6. CPU always 100 due Windows Defender

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU always 100 due Windows Defender: Hey,I'm recently facing a problem with Windows Defender. A few weeks ago I did a system reset because of a system failure and bsod. I was used to use Eset Antivirus but now I'm using just Win Defender. Every time I start up my HP Probook 430 G5 my CPU is always at 100%. In...
  7. CPU always 100 due Windows Defender

CPU always 100 due Windows Defender: Hey,I'm recently facing a problem with Windows Defender. A few weeks ago I did a system reset because of a system failure and bsod. I was used to use Eset Antivirus but now I'm using just Win Defender. Every time I start up my HP Probook 430 G5 my CPU is always at 100%. In...
  8. CPU always at 100%

CPU always at 100%: Hi all. Recently I made a new pc build using an i9 10850k. PC has ran perfectly until 3 days ago when my usage would always display at 100%. I tried completely wiping it, including user data, no dice. I've tried troubleshooting and it seems event 5858 is causing an error...
  9. CPU always at 100%

CPU always at 100%: Hi, I have an I5 9600k, 16Go RAM, 1660ti GPU. I don't know why but since yesterday, my CPU is always at 100% of usage. When I close a program that uses a lot of my CPU, another "replaces" it, so it's not really stable. At first it was WMI provider host that was using a...
  10. CPU is always forcing to 100%

CPU is always forcing to 100%: So my cpu is always forcing itself to 100% for example with Microsoft edge open it forces edge to use 85% cpu to make the total up to 100%. I've tried resetting my windows but only on my C drive which only really had windows on as I install the majority of my programs on...