Windows 10: CPU always at 100%; multiple copies of programs

Discus and support CPU always at 100%; multiple copies of programs in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have several issues going on and wanted to see if anyone has an idea of what could be going on. I'm technically unsavvy so unsure if I have malware,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Eve11, May 24, 2018.

1. Eve11 Win User

CPU always at 100%; multiple copies of programs

I have several issues going on and wanted to see if anyone has an idea of what could be going on. I'm technically unsavvy so unsure if I have malware, or when things are just normal, etc. I had a cyberstalking ex a few years ago so am a bit paranoid at times.

Firstly, when I hit ctrl alt del (which I have to do often cause things run slowly and if I open 3 or 4 apps inevitably things "stop responding") I see that CPU is always 100%. My laptop isn't even halfway full and I didn't reformat it, though I do use Veracrypt (but not for full-disk encryption, as that option is greyed out).

There are also multiple examples of a program running-for example, there will be dropbox.exe 5 times though there are only 2 users for the computer.

There are also countless svchosts.exe (over 50). Things keep popping up when I end a task or have it set to manual, like Cortana (even though I've disabled it in settings) and when I end it it keeps immediately popping back up 4 times over! The only time I ended something and it actually turned my computer off and gave me that scannable bar code to show an error was when I ended "remote procedure call" (I know I shouldn't end programs when I'm not sure of what they are, but I always end things with words like "remote," "telemetry" and "workstation" though they come back anyway.)

I often have to force close things-I had every app closed I could think of but couldn't delete a simple file because it "was open in another program."

Finally, even though my system is for Windows 64, it seems that when I download apps for Windows, it's always the 32 version. If it's supposed to be automatic, why are programs like Dropbox and most other apps using the 32 version even though I have a newer machine?

Thanks-if anyone has answers to those questions individually or can see a larger pattern that could be contributing to my problems I'd be very grateful. I have Avast and malwarebytes installed (there are always like 7 instances of them open, 32-bit version of course) and use CCLEANER and nothing shows up but my computer is almost unusably slow!

:)

Eve11, May 24, 2018
  2. ivanma72 Win User

CPU utilization >100%

I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10, and discovered a weird problem when opening task manager where CPU utilization was always at 100%. I did a clean install of Windows 10 to make sure it wasn't application specific, but still the same problem.

This problem is very strange because utilization doesn't seem to be tied to a specific process- it just always seems to add up to 100%. Resource monitor actually shows CPU Usage to be in the million%, which is definitely wrong. No performance degradation,
    CPU temps are very normal, and even third-party programs such as Speedfan and CoreTemp are reporting negligible CPU usage (1%-2% idle).

I have tried disabling all startup applications, doing sfc /scannow, viewing reliability history, and restarting multiple times. No luck

ivanma72, May 24, 2018
  3. 100% CPU

I bought new gaming laptop yesterday, everything is oki except CPU

it always reached at 100% and 64c degrees, tried with fan built in laptop got 27c degrees but CPU still 100%

i use win 10 64OS

1511 version

サスケうちは, May 24, 2018
Thema:

CPU always at 100%; multiple copies of programs

1. CPU always at 100%; multiple copies of programs - Similar Threads - CPU always 100%

2. cpu always at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cpu always at 100%: why is my cpu always at 100%? when I close a process that is apparently using alot of cpu, the next process uses alot. Also even if I enable the balanced power plan and have nothing running except windows processes my cpu's speed is way higher then what its supposed to be and...
  3. cpu always at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cpu always at 100%: why is my cpu always at 100%? when I close a process that is apparently using alot of cpu, the next process uses alot. Also even if I enable the balanced power plan and have nothing running except windows processes my cpu's speed is way higher then what its supposed to be and...
  4. CPU always at 100

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU always at 100: My CPU is always at 100% usage. I looked through a different thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cpu-is-always-running-at-100-in-taskmanager/a054fdf6-cddd-4a97-873d-44b566537168 but I couldn't reply so I'll give more details here.I'm running...
  5. CPU always at 100

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU always at 100: My CPU is always at 100% usage. I looked through a different thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cpu-is-always-running-at-100-in-taskmanager/a054fdf6-cddd-4a97-873d-44b566537168 but I couldn't reply so I'll give more details here.I'm running...
  6. CPU always at 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU always at 100%: Hi all. Recently I made a new pc build using an i9 10850k. PC has ran perfectly until 3 days ago when my usage would always display at 100%. I tried completely wiping it, including user data, no dice. I've tried troubleshooting and it seems event 5858 is causing an error...
  7. CPU always at 100%

CPU always at 100%: Hi, I have an I5 9600k, 16Go RAM, 1660ti GPU. I don't know why but since yesterday, my CPU is always at 100% of usage. When I close a program that uses a lot of my CPU, another "replaces" it, so it's not really stable. At first it was WMI provider host that was using a...
  8. CPU Usage Always Shows 100%

CPU Usage Always Shows 100%: My computer always shows 100% CPU usage in the Task Manager. However, it never seems to effect performance. I recently installed another hardware monitoring software (Open Hardware Monitor) and it only shows a fraction of the CPU usage, as compared to what Task Manager is...
  9. CPU is always forcing to 100%

CPU is always forcing to 100%: So my cpu is always forcing itself to 100% for example with Microsoft edge open it forces edge to use 85% cpu to make the total up to 100%. I've tried resetting my windows but only on my C drive which only really had windows on as I install the majority of my programs on...
  10. CPU at 100%; multiple copies of apps

in Windows 10 Support
    CPU at 100%; multiple copies of apps: I have several issues going on and wanted to see if anyone has an idea of what could be going on. I'm technically unsavvy so unsure if I have malware, or when things are just normal, etc. I had a cyberstalking ex a few years ago so am a bit paranoid at times. Firstly, when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Multiple copies of programs