Windows 10: CPU and SSD jump to 100% utilization when dragging windows around

Discus and support CPU and SSD jump to 100% utilization when dragging windows around in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Just for some context, my PC hasn't received the latest update yet. Intel Core i7 8700k Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 16gb ram (3200mhz) 2tb SSD (500 GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Valcor13, Oct 21, 2020.

1. CPU and SSD jump to 100% utilization when dragging windows around

Just for some context, my PC hasn't received the latest update yet.

Intel Core i7 8700k

Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080

16gb ram (3200mhz)

2tb SSD (500 GB remaining)

A couple of days ago, I noticed random lag spikes when doing day to day activities on my PC. It got more and more annoying to the point where I decided to just pull of task manager and monitor my CPU usage. What I noticed is that when dragging windows around, my CPU and SSD will jump to 100% usage (or pretty close to it) from lower percentages (CPU is typically between 10% and 20% and SSD is usually 0% to 15%). I ran several antivirus checks and nothing appeared.

Does anyone else have this issue or a solution to it? All help is appreciated! Let me know if you need any more info.

submitted by /u/Valcor13
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Valcor13, Oct 21, 2020
  2. ivanma72 Win User

CPU utilization >100%

I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10, and discovered a weird problem when opening task manager where CPU utilization was always at 100%. I did a clean install of Windows 10 to make sure it wasn't application specific, but still the same problem.

This problem is very strange because utilization doesn't seem to be tied to a specific process- it just always seems to add up to 100%. Resource monitor actually shows CPU Usage to be in the million%, which is definitely wrong. No performance degradation,
    CPU temps are very normal, and even third-party programs such as Speedfan and CoreTemp are reporting negligible CPU usage (1%-2% idle).

I have tried disabling all startup applications, doing sfc /scannow, viewing reliability history, and restarting multiple times. No luck

ivanma72, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Vijay B Win User
    CPU utilization >100%

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

The issue could be due to some Software/update causing the issue. I would suggest you to press the
    Shift key and hold the power button so that it will go to the
    recovery options, Select safe mode and boot to the desktop. Once you are able to boot to the desktop, check for the CPU utilization.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Vijay B, Oct 22, 2020
  4. CPU and SSD jump to 100% utilization when dragging windows around

Windows 2012 R2 Server (VM) Utilizing 100%

Hi Team,

Few of my windows 2012 R2 servers are running with 100% CPU utilization, in the task manager found that Service DCOM: and Service Local host are consuming most of the CPU (around 60 to 70%.

Could you please provide the next steps in fix this issue.

SureshGodaba, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

CPU and SSD jump to 100% utilization when dragging windows around

1. CPU and SSD jump to 100% utilization when dragging windows around - Similar Threads - CPU SSD jump

2. My CPU utilization is 100% while gaming.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My CPU utilization is 100% while gaming.: I was playing Dead space remake and I relize that my cpu utilization is 100%. I puted the graphics quality on low but it remains the same.after that i tried another games but it was the same. I have 100% cpu even on online games like The Finals!when I close these games the...
  3. My CPU utilization is 100% while gaming.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My CPU utilization is 100% while gaming.: I was playing Dead space remake and I relize that my cpu utilization is 100%. I puted the graphics quality on low but it remains the same.after that i tried another games but it was the same. I have 100% cpu even on online games like The Finals!when I close these games the...
  4. Onedrive On Windows 10 utilizes 100% CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive On Windows 10 utilizes 100% CPU Usage: I am using a Toshiba laptop CoreTM i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz with Windows 10 latest updates, Onedrive is using 100% CPU most of the time while opening pdf files from one drive. It is a challenge to continue like this. The computer stops responding from time to time due to the...
  5. Onedrive On Windows 10 utilizes 100% CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive On Windows 10 utilizes 100% CPU Usage: I am using a Toshiba laptop CoreTM i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz with Windows 10 latest updates, Onedrive is using 100% CPU most of the time while opening pdf files from one drive. It is a challenge to continue like this. The computer stops responding from time to time due to the...
  6. Onedrive On Windows 10 utilizes 100% CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. MOUSE JUMPS AROUND

MOUSE JUMPS AROUND: I've been experiencing a laggy mouse for 2 weeks now I've tries many solutions i found online n they dont work ,please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-jumps-around/60c2a60e-5c85-4979-b6df-91ba6bb348dd
  8. Cortana is using 100% utilization in CPU

in Cortana
    Cortana is using 100% utilization in CPU: Hello! I got a problem with one of my devices. After upgrading the PC to 20H1 from 1909, Cortana always seems to be using 100% of the CPU, causing huge noises in the fan and throttling the performance. Is there is a method to fix this problem? Specifications Intel Core i7...
  9. Fortnite suddenly 100% Cpu utilization?

Fortnite suddenly 100% Cpu utilization?: Hello, everyone, I played Fortnite last night. There I had about 40 Fps on my laptop. The Gpu was used 100% and the Cpu about 30%. Now we come to my problem. I just started Fortnitre and now only 13 Fps at 100% Cpu and 50% Gpu. How can that be? And how can I solve this?...
  10. CPU 100% Usage/Utilization with Nothing Running

CPU 100% Usage/Utilization with Nothing Running: In December of last year I upgraded to Windows 10 because of the support for Windows 7 coming to an end. It was around that time I began to notice that my mouse was beginning to stutter and lag. Sometimes I can't even hold right-click for a full 5 seconds without it letting...