Windows 10: CPU at 100%; multiple copies of apps

Discus and support CPU at 100%; multiple copies of apps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have several issues going on and wanted to see if anyone has an idea of what could be going on. I'm technically unsavvy so unsure if I have malware,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Eve11, May 18, 2018.

1. Eve11 Win User

CPU at 100%; multiple copies of apps

I have several issues going on and wanted to see if anyone has an idea of what could be going on. I'm technically unsavvy so unsure if I have malware, or when things are just normal, etc. I had a cyberstalking ex a few years ago so am a bit paranoid at times.

Firstly, when I hit ctrl alt del (which I have to do often cause things run slowly and if I open 3 or 4 apps inevitably things "stop responding") I see that CPU is always 100%. My laptop isn't even halfway full and I didn't reformat it, though I do use Veracrypt (but not for full-disk encryption, as that option is greyed out).

There are also multiple examples of a program running-for example, there will be dropbox.exe 5 times though there are only 2 users for the computer.

There are also countless svchosts.exe (over 50). Things keep popping up when I end a task or have it set to manual, like Cortana (even though I've disabled it in settings) and when I end it it keeps immediately popping back up 4 times over! The only time I ended something and it actually turned my computer off and gave me that scannable bar code to show an error was when I ended "remote procedure call" (I know I shouldn't end programs when I'm not sure of what they are, but I always end things with words like "remote," "telemetry" and "workstation" though they come back anyway.)

I often have to force close things-I had every app closed I could think of but couldn't delete a simple file because it "was open in another program."

Finally, even though my system is for Windows 64, it seems that when I download apps for Windows, it's always the 32 version. If it's supposed to be automatic, why are programs like Dropbox and most other apps using the 32 version even though I have a newer machine?

Thanks-if anyone has answers to those questions individually or can see a larger pattern that could be contributing to my problems I'd be very grateful. I have Avast and malwarebytes installed (there are always like 7 instances of them open, 32-bit version of course) and use CCLEANER and nothing shows up but my computer is almost unusably slow!

:)

Eve11, May 18, 2018
  2. ivanma72 Win User

CPU utilization >100%

I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10, and discovered a weird problem when opening task manager where CPU utilization was always at 100%. I did a clean install of Windows 10 to make sure it wasn't application specific, but still the same problem.

This problem is very strange because utilization doesn't seem to be tied to a specific process- it just always seems to add up to 100%. Resource monitor actually shows CPU Usage to be in the million%, which is definitely wrong. No performance degradation,
    CPU temps are very normal, and even third-party programs such as Speedfan and CoreTemp are reporting negligible CPU usage (1%-2% idle).

I have tried disabling all startup applications, doing sfc /scannow, viewing reliability history, and restarting multiple times. No luck

ivanma72, May 19, 2018
  3. 100% CPU

I bought new gaming laptop yesterday, everything is oki except CPU

it always reached at 100% and 64c degrees, tried with fan built in laptop got 27c degrees but CPU still 100%

i use win 10 64OS

1511 version

サスケうちは, May 19, 2018
Thema:

CPU at 100%; multiple copies of apps

1. CPU at 100%; multiple copies of apps - Similar Threads - CPU 100% multiple

2. PowerShell takes 100% of CPU in multiple processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PowerShell takes 100% of CPU in multiple processes: so I've notice that every 30-60 seconds this happens and causes my PC to slow down as hellWindows version: 22H2, build: 22622.436 I'm in the beta channelCPU: Core i7 10700K @ 3.80GHz...
  3. PowerShell takes 100% of CPU in multiple processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PowerShell takes 100% of CPU in multiple processes: so I've notice that every 30-60 seconds this happens and causes my PC to slow down as hellWindows version: 22H2, build: 22622.436 I'm in the beta channelCPU: Core i7 10700K @ 3.80GHz...
  4. Getting 100% CPU usage with no app running.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting 100% CPU usage with no app running.: I'm facing a issue for last 2 weeks, my system consumes 100% CPU distributing the cpu usage to every app even the app is not running. Service controller, nvidia itself start consuming 20% of my cpu capacity. And due to this my system freezes and I have to hard restart it....
  5. 100% Cpu

100% Cpu: #1 Cpu: i5-8600 GPU: RX 580 Series RAM: 16.0 GB Motherboard: Aorus Power supply: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 Resolution: 2560 x 1080 Was working fine not it just crashes my game the game is Tom Clancys Rainbow six siege but I can barely also start up other games...
  6. 100% Disk 100% Cpu

100% Disk 100% Cpu: So every sense the start of Monday I've been having my computer feel like its died it legit goes to a black screen and I have to wait and I open task manager while I use my computer now and its always at a constant 100% Disk & 100% Cpu. I've done a lot of research but nothing...
  7. CPU 100%

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU 100%: Whenever I am running the game Terraira which is easy to run, my CPU 0 always caps out and causes stutters. all other cores run normally about 30-50% I have an i7 9700k processor if that helps...
  8. CPU 100%

CPU 100%: ‪CompatTelRunner.exe is using up CPU, what is this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-100/935dd1c4-9887-425d-89cd-e1493d23a92a
  9. 100% CPU

100% CPU: Heloo i have 100%cpu on windows 10 can somoane help me pls?[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/100-cpu/a4546441-c929-4c20-81ff-b73c27b8858b
  10. CPU always at 100%; multiple copies of programs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU always at 100%; multiple copies of programs: I have several issues going on and wanted to see if anyone has an idea of what could be going on. I'm technically unsavvy so unsure if I have malware, or when things are just normal, etc. I had a cyberstalking ex a few years ago so am a bit paranoid at times. Firstly, when I...