Windows 10: CPU at 100% Usage when using Full Scan in Windows Defender

Discus and support CPU at 100% Usage when using Full Scan in Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm trying to scan for viruses but every time I choose Full Scan or Custom Scan my C: Drive my CPU shoots up to 100% usage and overheats prompting the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RikkiiKi, Sep 19, 2019.

1. RikkiiKi Win User

CPU at 100% Usage when using Full Scan in Windows Defender

I'm trying to scan for viruses but every time I choose Full Scan or Custom Scan my C: Drive my CPU shoots up to 100% usage and overheats prompting the scan to stop or my PC shuts down. I used Core Temp during a scan and all cores are getting up to 100 degrees Celsius. I've tried excluding Antimalware Service Executable folder from scan but same thing happens.

:)

RikkiiKi, Sep 19, 2019

2. Windows defender advanced scan extreme cpu overload

I routinely do Windows defender advanced scans. Up until about 2 weeks ago, that is.

All of a sudden the scan was completely maxing out my cpu. I wouldn't say it crashed the computer, but if I tried to do the simplest task while it was running, it rendered the machine unusable due to the draining of resources. Not to mention the scan would disappear, but was still running in the background. The only thing I could do at that point was to wait until it was done scanning, or shut down the unit

I found this thread that's about a year old, followed some of the suggestions, but nothing really helps.

I have no problem with the Quick scan.

High CPU usage when Windows Defender perform a Full Scan in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Windows Defender is my only virus protection, so there is nothing to create a conflict.

I put my defender installer folders in the excluded list. I changed my power settings from High Performance to Balanced.

I ran chkdsk /scan, sfc /scannow, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, and a Memory diagnostic. All normal.

Finally, I did a fresh install.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

kitpzyxmsir, Sep 19, 2019
  3. CPU usage 100%

CPU at 100% Usage when using Full Scan in Windows Defender 8bd370eb-4c4e-43cf-b3f9-b88d27726e1a.png

As you can see my CPU usage is always 100%, Due to this CPU fan never stops, even when temperature are normal.

When I turn on pc, it always starts with 100% cpu usage. I also ran malware and antivirus scans, couldn't help (Quick Heal antivirus).

Using Windows 10 updated to latest version.

Vivek Rajbhar, Sep 19, 2019
  4. Wysiwig Win User

cpu usage at 100%

CPU usage at 100% from start up for no apparently good reason. Service Host appears to be the problem but I cant narrow it down more than that at present.

Any suggestions?

I am using Windows 10 full release version 64 bit.

Wysiwig, Sep 19, 2019
Thema:

1. CPU at 100% Usage when using Full Scan in Windows Defender - Similar Threads - CPU 100% Usage

2. Windows Defender 100% CPU Usage when doing full scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender 100% CPU Usage when doing full scan: Hi,As the title suggests, after 1-2 minutes of running full scan, the CPU usage spikes up and uses up all the remaining CPU. I don't remember this happening with previous full scans. at most used up 40-50% CPUI do have Malwarebyte installed and did a full scan root-kit and...
  3. Windows Defender 100% CPU Usage when doing full scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender 100% CPU Usage when doing full scan: Hi,As the title suggests, after 1-2 minutes of running full scan, the CPU usage spikes up and uses up all the remaining CPU. I don't remember this happening with previous full scans. at most used up 40-50% CPUI do have Malwarebyte installed and did a full scan root-kit and...
  4. Windows Defender 100% CPU Usage when doing full scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 100% CPU usage when performing a full system scan.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% CPU usage when performing a full system scan.: Hello. I decided to do a full system scan in windows defender and my CPU usage reached 100%, and my cpu gets very hot. Is it normal? The scan also scanned 1,300,000 files, but the results say that only 792,000 files were scanned....
  6. 100% CPU usage when performing a full system scan.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% CPU usage when performing a full system scan.: Hello. I decided to do a full system scan in defender Hello. I decided to do a full system scan in windows defender and my CPU usage reached 100%, and my cpu gets very hot. Is it normal?...
  7. CPU overheating and CPU usage going up to 100% when running Full Scan on Windows Defender.

CPU overheating and CPU usage going up to 100% when running Full Scan on Windows Defender.: When I run a Full Scan or scan the C:\ drive , the computer's CPU heats up to ~80 degrees celcius 176F and the CPU usage goes up to 100%. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/cpu-overheating-and-cpu-usage-going-up-to-100-when/0162a33f-b3aa-424c-b835-75a580f0066c
  8. Windows defender using 100% CPU when doing a full scan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender using 100% CPU when doing a full scan: I recently built a PC with an Intel Core i9 10850k and today I tried doing the first full scan in Windows Defender. My CPU usage when I do the scan is at 100% with all the 10 cores at 4.8/4.9 GHz with a power consumption of nearly 200 Watts (Only CPU). Is this normal? If it...
  9. Windows 10 Defender Full Virus Scan- CPU Usage 100%

Windows 10 Defender Full Virus Scan- CPU Usage 100%: About a few months ago, i noticed this. Whenever i do a full scan of my computer, the cpu would hit 100% and stay 100%. Sometimes it might drop to 95% or 90% but then it immediately goes back to 100%. The issue here is when this happens, my laptop is basically unusable. Thus...
  10. 100% CPU usage during Defender Scan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% CPU usage during Defender Scan: I have closed out all possible bloat junk I can and made sure nothing funky was set to run on start up and yet it still freezes mid scan. Also, just started freezing while playing lower demand games which led me to run a scan....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 100% scan restorehealt