Windows 10: CPU blocked at minimum speed after deactivating battery

Discus and support CPU blocked at minimum speed after deactivating battery in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have a problem with my Asus TP300LA laptop and I was hoping someone might give me a hint. Recently it's charger controller went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GustavoAlmeida, Dec 13, 2018.

1. CPU blocked at minimum speed after deactivating battery

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my Asus TP300LA laptop and I was hoping someone might give me a hint.

Recently it's charger controller went wrong. It wouldn't even run on AC. To fix it completely I would have to get a new motherboard. Since I was about to buy a new laptop, I chose a cheaper repair, the battery was deactivated and it now only runs with AC power.

The problem is that the CPU is running only at 0,8 GHz on Windows 10. If I run Windows 10 on safe mode the cpu does go all the way up to 1,9 GHz (i3-4030u).

To make sure this wasn't a problem with some Windows 10 update or its drivers, I reinstalled a clean copy of Windows 10 in a spare HDD. The cpu still doesn't go higher than 0,8 GHz.

I read online that some laptops will lock at the lowest speed temporarely when the battery is flat even having AC power coming and I think my computer must be doing the same.

Having it running only at 0,8 GHz makes it pretty much impossible to use.

Does anyone know how to deactivate windows instructions to reduce speed in this situation?

(By the way, this is not a throttling issue for sure. Even if I put my fingers on the ventilation area under the screen while opening several programs it barely gets warm. Also the laptop's interior is completely clean and yesterday while installing the new copy of W10 it was even running without it's cover, it doesn't get hot.)

Thank you for your help

:)

GustavoAlmeida, Dec 13, 2018
  2. soopg Win User

CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery

Hi,

On my laptop, I have noticed that the CPU speed is dramatically reduced from 1.98Ghz to 0.48Ghz whilst low on battery. As soon as I plug the laptop in, the CPU speed returns to 1.98Ghz. This loss of CPU speed has a great impact on system performance, rendering the laptop near useless.

My laptop is running an Intel Core i3, and I believe that the technology which controls the speed of the CPU is called SpeedStep. There is no option in the BIOS to turn this feature off. I have also tried to change this setting in the 'Power Plan' options (in Windows). I changed the minimum processor state to 100% and the cooling policy to 'Active'.

I would like to keep my CPU running at 1.98Ghz. Any suggestions?

(see this photo for clarification)

Many thanks.

soopg, Dec 13, 2018
  3. Snakeyes Win User
    CPU Speed Locked

At the risk of being redundant, have you checked C states and speed step? Also tried setting Minimum processes state 100% in power management.

Snakeyes, Dec 13, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

CPU blocked at minimum speed after deactivating battery

CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery

Power management and battery saving isn't the only thing controlling the CPU speed, there's also the cooling policy. Passive cooling reduces clock speeds to keep the heat down while active cooling favours boosting the fan speed. You should see 'System cooling policy' in your advanced power management settings.

Thema:

CPU blocked at minimum speed after deactivating battery

1. CPU blocked at minimum speed after deactivating battery - Similar Threads - CPU blocked minimum

2. Deactivate low battery notification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deactivate low battery notification: I have an old battery it works fine but this notification pops up anyone knows how to disable it on windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deactivate-low-battery-notification/8db02dc3-764c-40cf-bb75-0709482b4af4
  3. Deactivate low battery notification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deactivate low battery notification: I have an old battery it works fine but this notification pops up anyone knows how to disable it on windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deactivate-low-battery-notification/8db02dc3-764c-40cf-bb75-0709482b4af4
  4. Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode: Hi, so the problem started recently on my laptop. My CPU speed when not gaming is around 2.3 GHz and above. However, whenever I play a game, my CPU clocks down to 0.79 GHz and stays there until I close the game. I also checked my temperature while gaming, which is around 60...
  5. Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode: Hi, so the problem started recently on my laptop. My CPU speed when not gaming is around 2.3 GHz and above. However, whenever I play a game, my CPU clocks down to 0.79 GHz and stays there until I close the game. I also checked my temperature while gaming, which is around 60...
  6. cpu speeds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cpu speeds: I have an IntelR CoreTM i3-7130U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.70 GHz on a dell laptop. my wife has a dell with amd a6-9225 radeon r4,5 compute cores 2c +3g 2.60 ghz. should they be about the same speed. her laptop is much slower....
  7. Update error: minimum battery on a laptop with dead battery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update error: minimum battery on a laptop with dead battery: Recently, onde of the updates failed error 0x8024004c, and the messege says that I need to have my battery charged at least 40%. Unfortunately, my PC's battery is dead, it doesn't charge anymore, and it only works while pluged. Is there any solution to make it update even...
  8. Cpu Speed

Cpu Speed: Hi everyone, I recently installed a fresh copy of windows 10 on my laptop, along with wiping my hard drive. Something I've notice however is that shortly after starting up, my CPU speed drops from around 3.50 ghz all the way down to 0.39 ghz, where it never fluctuates,...
  9. CPU speed

CPU speed: How do I reduce my cpu speed from 100% to 65% to stop random freezing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-speed/7e4c5137-0a24-4fd7-962d-d6180319a97e
  10. CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery: Hi, On my laptop, I have noticed that the CPU speed is dramatically reduced from 1.98Ghz to 0.48Ghz whilst low on battery. As soon as I plug the laptop in, the CPU speed returns to 1.98Ghz. This loss of CPU speed has a great impact on system performance, rendering the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cpu stuck at 0.48ghz

2. cpu speed bloked

3. cpu blocked lowest speed