Windows 10: CPU Clock Speed WAY TOO HIGH

Discus and support CPU Clock Speed WAY TOO HIGH in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Ummm... so the other day I was playing a bit of CS:GO, and i was running an average of 200-300 fps on max settings in-game, and once I was done I got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Far-Acanthisitta8989, Dec 3, 2020.

1. CPU Clock Speed WAY TOO HIGH

Ummm... so the other day I was playing a bit of CS:GO, and i was running an average of 200-300 fps on max settings in-game, and once I was done I got off. The next day I tried playing the fps was terrible, I'm talking 20-30. So I set all the settings to the lowest they could be and I still get the same amount of FPS... So I think I've found the problem, and it's that my clock speed is WAY too high... my processor runs at 2.30GHz and its at around 3900MHz as I'm typing this. Please help!

Here are my specs:CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz

RAM: 8GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti, Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

Motherboard: HP 8478

submitted by /u/Far-Acanthisitta8989
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Far-Acanthisitta8989, Dec 3, 2020

2. CPU Clock speed locked at 0.79GHz

Hi, I have an i7-4500U CPU and for the last few months my system starts at full speed (2.39GHz) but as soon as the CPU goes below 30% utilisation after startup, the system locks the clock speed to 0.79GHz even when the fan is off. The CPU temperature is
    around the 50degree C mark, therefore should be allowing the processor to go up to full clock speed.

I've changed the power settings to set the minimum clock speed to 50%, but that has made no difference.

MalcolmHide, Dec 3, 2020
  3. CPU Clock speed locked at 0.79GHz

Hi, the software to detect CPU performance is windows task manager. It shouldn't be wrong as it replicates what I'm seeing. With the clock speed reduced, I'm getting a lot of lag in response to high demand activities such as large spreadsheet calculations
    and opening large files.

For the CPU temperature I'm using CPUID, which is usually a reasonable indicator. in most cases when it is showing the CPU is hot, the fan does turn on.

MalcolmHide, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Megahertz Win User

CPU Clock Speed WAY TOO HIGH

CPU Clock Speed Problems

Welcome to the Forum

When in high load the CPU can get at high temperatures and then the clock is lowered to protect the CPU from damage.
    My suggestion is to use Open Hardware monitor. Doesn't need to be installed. Expand to a folder and run the exe file. Under options you can set to run on startup.

Please don't use external links to post images. On the Quick Reply window, go advanced, click on the paper clip (top menu) - add files - browse to your file, upload

Megahertz, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

CPU Clock Speed WAY TOO HIGH

1. CPU Clock Speed WAY TOO HIGH - Similar Threads - CPU Clock Speed

2. CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW: Hey thereSo I have a very strange issueMy PC has a RYZEN 5 5500U Its base speed is 2.10ghz and a turbo boost of 4.0ghzBut for some reason, it's been stuck on 1.81ghz or 1.20 GHz even at 18% utilization I don't know what is bottlenecking itI have another laptop also with a...
  3. CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW: Hey thereSo I have a very strange issueMy PC has a RYZEN 5 5500U Its base speed is 2.10ghz and a turbo boost of 4.0ghzBut for some reason, it's been stuck on 1.81ghz or 1.20 GHz even at 18% utilization I don't know what is bottlenecking itI have another laptop also with a...
  4. CPU keeps dropping clock speeds

CPU keeps dropping clock speeds: Hello all,I recently got an issue where while gaming my CPU will keep randomly dropping from it's normal clock speed 3.9-4.2 Ghz all the way down to 400 mhz. Video Note: Sorry for low quality i had to set it low so my computer wouldn't crash when it dipped to 400 mhz.I've...
  5. CPU is running too high. Does a performance plan effect clock speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU is running too high. Does a performance plan effect clock speed: I have a situation that is quite odd. I have a brand new computer that I built and I experience the CPU clock running too high and the processor getting too hot. I an confirm the processor is working too hard because the power consumption is also too high. The build is pretty...
  6. CPU is running too high. Does a performance plan effect clock speed

CPU is running too high. Does a performance plan effect clock speed: I have a situation that is quite odd. I have a brand new computer that I built and I experience the CPU clock running too high and the processor getting too hot. I an confirm the processor is working too hard because the power consumption is also too high. The build is pretty...
  7. cpu is too high

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cpu is too high: cpu is too high [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-is-too-high/c266743c-bbc6-4fe3-a872-dbbb274b189b
  8. CPU Clock Speed Problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU Clock Speed Problems: Hi All, Basically I have been having this issue for the past month and a half. I have a Intel i7-9750h and for some reason my CPU's clock speed seems to be at around 4GHz when idle, but then goes down when you launch any game. I have been using either task manager and CPU-Z...
  9. CPU clock speed question

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    CPU clock speed question: Hi, my kids are building a gaming computer, and the CPU they've chosen is an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-core. I think there was some confusion between the 2700x and the 2700. Anyway, the 2700X has a clock speed of 3.7 GHz and the 2700 has 3.2GHz. Is there much difference...
  10. CPU Clock speed locked at 0.79GHz

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU Clock speed locked at 0.79GHz: Hi, I have an i7-4500U CPU and for the last few months my system starts at full speed (2.39GHz) but as soon as the CPU goes below 30% utilisation after startup, the system locks the clock speed to 0.79GHz even when the fan is off. The CPU temperature is around the 50degree C...