Windows 10: CPU constantly at 100% in task manager

Discus and support CPU constantly at 100% in task manager in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, on the users tab of the task manager the CPU section always displays 100% CPU usage, but when viewed with Core Temp the usage percentage is at it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dogfacedponysco, Feb 2, 2021.

1. CPU constantly at 100% in task manager

Hi, on the users tab of the task manager the CPU section always displays 100% CPU usage, but when viewed with Core Temp the usage percentage is at it's correct % which is 0-1%. Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks.

CPU constantly at 100% in task manager [​IMG]

and core temps readings

CPU constantly at 100% in task manager [​IMG]

windows version number: Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.630)

:)

dogfacedponysco, Feb 2, 2021
  2. Andrew M Win User

CPU Constantly at 100% In Task Manager, But Not in Process Explorer

Starting yesterday, I have a very odd problem on my Windows 10 desktop-- my CPU is constantly running at 100% (according to Task Manager), and it isn't throttling down. Because of this, it's constantly running at 3.3 GHz and the temperatures are rising to the point where the fans kick in at full force. If I go into the Windows power settings screen and manually change the processor power maximum to 50%, then it's capped at 50% frequency (~1.5 GHz), but it never goes below the maximum possible frequency.

The weird thing is, when I look at the process list, there isn't really anything obvious that's triggering it. None of the processes are abnormal, and though the process CPU percentages do add up to 100%, it doesn't make sense to me that each individual process is taking up as much CPU as Task Manager says it is. Everything seems to be "using" a significantly higher amount of CPU resources than it normally does.

As an attempt to diagnose the problem, I've also tried using Process Explorer. The really weird thing is that Process Explorer shows only 1-2% usage when idle, with the System Idle Process taking up the remaining ~98% as I would expect. Again, nothing looks out of the ordinary in the process list, but the processes are showing the levels of activity I would expect in Process Explorer.

I've already run both Windows Defender and Malware Bytes (a virus was my first guess), but nothing has turned up yet.

This same issue also occurs in Safe Mode, so I'm guessing that it's more along the lines of something to do with Windows itself...

So, to recap:

• Windows 10 Desktop
    • Intel 970, 3.3 GHz, 6 cores
    • Task manager and resource monitor graphs shows 100% usage total
    • No individual process is taking up significant resources in the resource monitor list
    • CPU is not throttling down automatically based on the dynamic load, causing high temperatures and the fan to kick in
    • Process Explorer is only showing 1-2% CPU usage

Before I go uninstalling everything, how would I figure out what's causing the issue if nothing weird is showing up in Task Manager or Process Explorer?

Andrew M, Feb 2, 2021
  3. SackHappy Win User
    Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Hi,

I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS.
    I also noticed that when using other tools to display my GPU and CPU performance they show my CPU max frequency is exactly 5Ghz, why does Task Manager constantly display a constantly changing frequency?

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated

SackHappy, Feb 2, 2021
  4. Cato Win User

CPU constantly at 100% in task manager

CPU constantly at 100%, but in Process Explorer usage is around 5%

Task Manager shows CPU usage constantly at 100%, but Process Explorer shows CPU usage at about 5%. I've tried the solution presented in CPU Constantly at 100% In Task Manager, But Not in Process Explorer, but it did not work for me. When I reboot the PC into Safe Mode, though, everything is OK.

How can I resolve the discrepancy?

Cato, Feb 2, 2021
Thema:

CPU constantly at 100% in task manager

1. CPU constantly at 100% in task manager - Similar Threads - CPU constantly 100%

2. Task manager always shows cpu 100 %.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager always shows cpu 100 %.: same time a third party app MSI companion app- came with MoBo shows normal figures. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager-always-shows-cpu-100/92e15d8b-69ff-4cb5-a4f5-93ea554356d0
  3. 100% CPU load with empty task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% CPU load with empty task manager: Run into the issue where task manager shows 100% CPU load while all tasks give 0, already attempted to clear pc of malware with 3 different programs, remove everything in autoloader, update all the drivers, roll back the windows update and kill all the tasks at once with task...
  4. 100% CPU load with empty task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% CPU load with empty task manager: Run into the issue where task manager shows 100% CPU load while all tasks give 0, already attempted to clear pc of malware with 3 different programs, remove everything in autoloader, update all the drivers, roll back the windows update and kill all the tasks at once with task...
  5. My cpu is constantly at 100% in task manager.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My cpu is constantly at 100% in task manager.: Hi. I have an old pc predator ag3620-ur12, and i have factory reset it three times now but i have an issue thats still remaining. In task manager, my cpu is at 00% and red at the process tab, and when i go into the performence tab, my cpu is consantly at 100%. Do you have any...
  6. My cpu is constantly at 100% in task manager.

My cpu is constantly at 100% in task manager.: Hi. I have an old pc predator ag3620-ur12, and i have factory reset it three times now but i have an issue thats still remaining. In task manager, my cpu is at 00% and red at the process tab, and when i go into the performence tab, my cpu is consantly at 100%. Do you have any...
  7. My cpu is constantly at 100% in task manager.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Task manager says CPU usage is at 100%

Task manager says CPU usage is at 100%: HELP!Task manager says my CPU is at 100% usage but dragon center says it is only at 2% what is going on and how can I fix it?I have a decently powerful CPURyzen 7 3800x so I don't know why I am having this problem. I have increased the Fan speed as seen in the screenshot...
  9. CPU @ 100% in Task Manager.. but in error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU @ 100% in Task Manager.. but in error: Hey guys Screenshot: Imgur Seems to be happening since I installed Windows 10 on my machine. I am 100% sure it is in error as speedfan reports my CPU usage at 1/2% and I am seeing no problems when playing games such as CSGO and h1z1. My motherboard does not have...
  10. CPU 100% load and Boost in task manager but only task manager

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU 100% load and Boost in task manager but only task manager: I have attached a screenshot of my CPU usage in programs and usage monitors below. I am extremely fed up at this point so hopefully this post will make sense *Smile The problem I have noticed my CPU usage in task manager is always 100% and the boost is always around the...