Windows 10: CPU Cooler Changing Noob a Few Questions regarding that

Discus and support CPU Cooler Changing Noob a Few Questions regarding that in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello as a very very noob for changing CPU coolers, eventually gonna ugprade from my Stock Intel 10700 Cooler, to possibly a Aftermarket Air or if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AMDMan2016, Oct 16, 2020.

1. CPU Cooler Changing Noob a Few Questions regarding that

Hello as a very very noob for changing CPU coolers, eventually gonna ugprade from my Stock Intel 10700 Cooler, to possibly a Aftermarket Air or if brave enough my very first AIO Cooler lol.

1. Proper way of removing the Stock Intel 10700 Heatsink without pulling the CPU out of the socket, like i did with previous AMD Duron system back in 2009? and never worked again

2. I know to use 91 percent alocohol to remove the old thermalpaste, my new thermal paste kit might come with a couple alcohol wipes, so might not have to worry too much on that, and spreader applicator possibly if i buy the Thermaltake one

3. Is it possible to do the install with the motherboard inside the case? my case does have a rear back plate opening to get to it

4. Or should i just wait til Covid 19 mask mandates are over, and then have shop do this type of upgrade.

Thank you all in Advance

P.S. Never ever changed a cooler myself, so doing alot of research prior to purchasing one, hoping to get a not too complicated one, probably be after my M.2 purchase as think it would cover that if i went for AIr cooler tower type, not sure about AIO water cooler, as way i use this system might not be good for an AIO cooler as it's usually on 24 Hours, doing various things, idle a little bit, gaming, backups, maintenance sometimes at night.

:)

AMDMan2016, Oct 16, 2020
  2. Jordandr Win User

BSOD (more frequent) after changing CPU cooler

Hello all,

I'm in desperate for help, as I've been getting a variety of BSOD. Please help!

This computer is less than 1 yr old. 2 weekends ago I changed out my CPU Cooler to a Noctua cooler. It is worth noting that the process wasn't smooth, and I got thermal paste on the side of the chip and
    a tiny speck on the bottom barely touching a pin (I know, stupid of me). I thoroughly cleaned it, put it back in, then applied the cooler. I applied it backwards the first time and needed to rotate it to correctly attach it to the CPU. I had BSOD's before
    this, not not nearly as frequently.

After that point, I started getting BSOD at least once every session. They almost always happened:

1. Within 5 minutes of waking it up/turning on
    2. While playing a game
    The three different types I've gotten are:

1. KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
    2. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    3. KERNEL_AUTO_bOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
    Specs are:

• Ryzen 5 3600
    • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
    • G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3200
    • Samsung 970 Evo 500gb
    • GTX 1060 3gb
    • Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold

Additionally, I am unable to update to the newest Windows 10 (2020-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4549951)).
    When I try to update it gets to 100% and says Error 0x800f0831. I don't know
    if this happened before or after the main problem.

Now from what I've gathered, there are a few possible explanations for this:

• I need to remount the CPU cooler. I could have applied it incorrectly and the CPU could be overheating. This explains crashing while playing games, but I don't think this explains it crashing when I first wake it up / turn it on. Easiest solution, i'd even
      put back on the original cooler to see if that helps.
    • The PSU could be causing this. That explains the turn on/wake up crashes, and maybe the game crashes too. However this is a highly rated PSU that is also brand new. Could it be broken?
    Programs I've downloaded and can use however necessary:

• Speccy
    • WhoCrashed
    • SFC /SCANNOW
      • Diagnostic tool not program
    • OCCT
    I'm willing to provide any info anyone needs to help me here, as I'm really out of my league. Thank you for the help!

Jordandr, Oct 16, 2020
  3. Need Help with "Ejectable" CPU Cooler

Thanks a lot to both of your responses and the swiftness of your answers! I really appreciate it.

I can't seem to figure out how to @ mention users on here, so I hope that the two of you are notified of my reply.

@Greg Carmack

Unfortunately, the link that you provided did not resolve my issue, as the cooler does not appear as a drive in File Explorer or Disk Management.

@abhishek Das

I don't have another CPU cooler to test. The CPU cooler is not showing as a storage device in Device Manager. It's showing as one of the USB devices. Do you suggest that I flash the motherboard in the BIOS? This is out of the question. There are no pending
    updates. I just checked manually.

TenthMite280413, Oct 16, 2020
  4. Caring1 Win User

CPU Cooler Changing Noob a Few Questions regarding that

New CPU cooler for Ryzen questions and suggestions

Your Ryzen 7 1700X should be close to 4.0GHz anyway, so overclocking is pointless.
    If the computer freezes then there should be an error listed in the crash logs, most likely a clock watchdog timeout, changing the cooler won't fix it.
    I'd suggest leaving the CPU stock and clocking your Ram up a bit.

Caring1, Oct 16, 2020
Thema:

CPU Cooler Changing Noob a Few Questions regarding that

1. CPU Cooler Changing Noob a Few Questions regarding that - Similar Threads - CPU Cooler Changing

2. Noob Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Noob Question: I need to do a clean install because of lingering issues. I have Win 10 Pro paid. When I reinstall, will the same key work? TIA submitted by /u/Frankie_Hollywood [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kauvg1/noob_question/
  3. Win Task Scheduler noob question

Win Task Scheduler noob question: Hello, I would like to start a specific sound file (mp3) with the VLC media player at a predefined time. I already managed to tell the Task Scheduler to open the player, but I dont know how to tell him that the sound file should be opened within the player. I tried to enter...
  4. Noob network problems / question (nDisplay)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Noob network problems / question (nDisplay): Hi folks, I really am a networking noob, sorry 'bout that. At the moment i'm trying to get nDisplay (Unreal Engine) working on two computers. I've set up a network and have logged into an admin account with the exact same name / password on both computers. The problem...
  5. BSOD more frequent after changing CPU cooler

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD more frequent after changing CPU cooler: Hello all, I'm in desperate for help, as I've been getting a variety of BSOD. Please help! This computer is less than 1 yr old. 2 weekends ago I changed out my CPU Cooler to a Noctua cooler. It is worth noting that the process wasn't smooth, and I got thermal paste on the...
  6. Noob question regarding the new update

Noob question regarding the new update: So before I left for spring break I decided to fully shut down my laptop. There was an update, I thought it was a little one and went through with it. Low and behold it was a big boy and I had to leave to catch my flight before I could see it through. I come back 6 days...
  7. Need Help with "Ejectable" CPU Cooler

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need Help with "Ejectable" CPU Cooler: Hello, I am writing because I have been running into an issue with my new Windows 10 Professional computer, which uses the CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i PRO. Ever since I've booted up my machine for the first time, I have been seeing the CPU cooler in question as an icon in the...
  8. Virtual Memory (Noob Question)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Virtual Memory (Noob Question): So I recently found this article to increase my PC performance by setting this settings to, well it varies. Quick question, how much do I need to put in minimal and max, I have like 8gb of memory right now. [img] 121989
  9. DIY RGB CPU Stock Cooler

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DIY RGB CPU Stock Cooler: I did something for fun when I recently did a maintenance routine on my daughter's PC. I turned her stock CPU cooler into something like the Cooler Master G100M RGB CPU fan cooler ($58CAD retail price). This one only cost me $8CAD for the Arctic 8Omm PWM Pro fan and $12CAD...
  10. The first of a few questions regarding installing W10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The first of a few questions regarding installing W10.: What needs completed: Remove Ubuntu 16.0.4 Install W10. Reinstall Ubuntu dual boot. First problem: Can not get into bios to change settings to boot from W10 DVD. The reason is, the HP logo comes and goes to fast. Any ideas on solving this? To be continued ater...