Windows 10: CPU Getting Warm

Discus and support CPU Getting Warm in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I leave my computer I lock my account (win+L), and sometimes go to bed without turning it off. I have noticed on a few occasions now that when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mrmike, May 25, 2016.

1. mrmike Win User

CPU Getting Warm

When I leave my computer I lock my account (win+L), and sometimes go to bed without turning it off. I have noticed on a few occasions now that when I arrive back at my pc, the CPU fan's are whirring louder than normal. The temps had been at 60c, when normally they are at 40c. After signing in, I check task manager, and there's nothing there that using the CPU, and after a few minutes the temps drop and life is good again.

What could this be? Does anyone had any good ideas to track whatever it is down? I doubt it's malware because I'm 'web-wise', but I'll run a scan anyway. I feel that Windows is doing something and hiding it from me.

:)

mrmike, May 25, 2016

2. The Nokia E51: The things that work, and the things that don't (yet)

I don't know of any CPU in any computer that does not get warm when it is doing a lot of work- so you think that is not normal that the CPU in E51 gets warm or "hot"? what you think it should be cooler when the processor workload increases? think about
    it of course it will get warm

likeitlikethat, May 25, 2016
  3. tehrules Win User
    N82 going warm when listening to Internet Radio

Sounds pretty normal for it to get warm. Radio transmitters will get warm, plus the phone is decompressing/converting data so the CPU's will get warm. Its all normal.

Your pc will get warm if you start pushing it hard. Hence the fact you need lots of fans in it!

tehrules, May 25, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

CPU Getting Warm

There are lots of scheduled tasks that run in the background and start when the PC is detected to be idle. Once activity resumes on the PC these background tasks often pause and wait for the next idle period. Some examples include indexing, disk defragmentation, disk clean up, etc.

Open Task Scheduler and look down the list of scheduled Microsoft Windows tasks, you will see there are hundreds of them and most of the time you will not even notice them.

Another thing to do is go through the following tutorial and see if there are some tips that you can use to optimize your PC. Look at item 23 for the automatic maintenance settings.

Optimize Performance of Windows 10

philc43, May 25, 2016
  5. mrmike Win User
    I wonder what it could possibly be doing for 7 hours!? I hope it's not de-fragmenting my SSD

mrmike, May 25, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    SSDs are not defragmented, instead they will be trimmed. Your specs show you have a storage hard drive so this one might get defragmented if it is found that it needs it, but once it is done I doubt that it will need doing again for a long time as it will not get used so much.

philc43, May 25, 2016
  7. mrmike Win User
    My SSD's are being trimmed, and my storage HD has defrag enabled, however the last run on this was almost a week ago, so it must have been some other maintenance activity that is more active than it should be. I have changed a bunch of scheduled tasks to stop if run for longer than 1 hour, and will see how things go.

mrmike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

CPU Getting Warm

1. CPU Getting Warm - Similar Threads - CPU Getting Warm

2. Lacie hard drive getting very warm after changing sleep settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lacie hard drive getting very warm after changing sleep settings: I had an issue where my Lacie hard drive kept going to sleep/inactive every 30 seconds or so which was really annoying having to wait ages to load up folders etc. The solution suggested at External Hard Drives constantly sleeping despite all suggestions. - Microsoft Community...
  3. Lacie hard drive getting very warm after changing sleep settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lacie hard drive getting very warm after changing sleep settings: I had an issue where my Lacie hard drive kept going to sleep/inactive every 30 seconds or so which was really annoying having to wait ages to load up folders etc. The solution suggested at External Hard Drives constantly sleeping despite all suggestions. - Microsoft Community...
  4. Display Looks Warm

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display Looks Warm: I know this probably isn't the right place for help, but it's worth a shot. So I have a AMD RX 6600, in my PC, and today I have turned on my computer and the display looks very warm, unlike what it is usually. I have not touched any settings at all, so I am in confussion to...
  5. Display Looks Warm

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Looks Warm: I know this probably isn't the right place for help, but it's worth a shot. So I have a AMD RX 6600, in my PC, and today I have turned on my computer and the display looks very warm, unlike what it is usually. I have not touched any settings at all, so I am in confussion to...
  6. My laptop is saying the CPU is 199 degrees farenhight (but the laptop is barely even warm)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop is saying the CPU is 199 degrees farenhight (but the laptop is barely even warm): What do i do submitted by /u/Totogogo505 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kqcf8o/my_laptop_is_saying_the_cpu_is_199_degrees/
  7. Windows 10 warming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 warming: Hello my laptop model is GL703VM after reinstalling Windows 10 my laptop stared to warming up what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-warming/2bf4807d-a793-4171-9d57-6309647152f4
  8. warm colors do not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    warm colors do not work: after the 1903 update warm colors do not work, I always have this bright white background, can you correct it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/warm-colors-do-not-work/61dde651-f3aa-4f71-a7a9-209a56dbe0d6
  9. Dell XPS 13 (9370) Getting Warm in Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dell XPS 13 (9370) Getting Warm in Sleep Mode: I like my laptops to sleep when I close the lid and have set this up on my next Dell XPS 13. When I put my other laptops to sleep they are stone cold but the Dell XPS stays as warm in sleep as it gets when doing light browsing. I have run the powercfg /a and - energy...
  10. Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox: How to: Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox How to Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox in Windows Firefox usually does a good job most of the time when it comes to tab switching performance, some sites have noticeable delays between activing the tab and...