Windows 10: "CPU isn't supported"

Discus and support "CPU isn't supported" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; If you can borrow a disk, you can try. First run the utility to get GenuineTicket.xml as described in this post. Then clean install Windows 10 32-bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by flashh4, Aug 14, 2015.

1. spapakons Win User

"CPU isn't supported"

If you can borrow a disk, you can try. First run the utility to get GenuineTicket.xml as described in this post. Then clean install Windows 10 32-bit and if completed successfully, you can try installing drivers. If everything is good, you can keep a full backup or clone the original disk and proceed to install Windows 10 32-bit on her. Use the file to activate as described in the post. If I was in your place and had a spare disk, I would do it for curiosity. Besides, sooner or later she will have to upgrade or install Windows 10, because of newer applications and/or devices.

spapakons, Oct 26, 2015
  2. Matt26 Win User

I tried both Coreinfo and AIDA64 (I used Extreme instead of Engineer) on my AMD4000+ system, Coreinfo reports CX16 * Supports CMPXCHG16B instruction, while AIDA64 reports that it is not supported.

A bit confusing to have two different programs with different results on the same test, but I'm guessing since one is reporting no support then that's probably the case?

Matt26, Nov 14, 2015
  3. flashh4 Win User
    Solved with a repair install !!

Thanks

flashh4, Nov 14, 2015
  4. Matt26 Win User

"CPU isn't supported"

So should I look further into my Coreinfo and AIDA64 results? I wonder if one reporting supported means that there's a BIOS setting or something else that needs to be changed? I'm hopeful...

Matt26, Nov 14, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    NX/PAE support might be set from the BIOS, in CPU features section. But I don't recall any setting for enabling the relevant instruction to make your CPU compatible with 64-bit Windows 8 and 10. It either supports it or not, you cannot select it from BIOS. See Aida64 for command support.

spapakons, Nov 14, 2015
  6. Matt26 Win User
    you did an install of windows 7 64 bit and did a repair install to get windows 10 installed? not sure i follow..

i misquoted my Coreinfo results earlier, mine has the "-" and not the "*". Does one mean supported and the other mean not supported?

Matt26, Nov 14, 2015
  7. xeleron Win User
    X64 versions of windows 10 have the exact hardware requirements that windows 8.1 x64 has,that is a x64 CPU that supports PrefetchW,Compare exchange 128,and LAHF/SAHF.For most systems capable of running windows 7 at a decent level ,PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF is a non-issue since these instructions are implemented since the first Athlon 64 days.For AMD,no CPU running on socket 754 or 939 is capable of running x64 versions of windows 8.1 or 10 without some serious modding of the setup files.On the Intel side,things are a bit more complicated since some motherboards have old BIOS versions which do not expose the cpus complete instruction set,some report that q9xxx series CPUs have issues with these instructions despite the fact that all the Instructions are supported.I run w10 x64 on a q6600 without issues.The oldest x64 capable CPU that I installed windows 10 x64 was an old AMD turion x2 tk56.For everyone else reading,if you have any CPU since Nehalem(included) you are 100% capabile* of running windows 10 x64.All Atom CPUS that are x64 capable also support w10 x64.
    *The Intel g3528 has issues with the windows 10 setup due to faulty microcode within the windows 10 setup.While the processor is fully capable of running w10,it appears that the install process fails with a SAFE_OS message regardless of the CPU state.A temporary workaround is to disable all overclocking and one core.

xeleron, Nov 15, 2015
  8. "CPU isn't supported"

@flashh4:Solved with a repair install !!?
    can provide details and description how u made it?did u install win 10 64 bit ?
    facing same problem while trying to clean install win 10 64bit on e8500(freeze on win logo itself) but can install win 10 32bit on e8500
    Thank you

Jaasmineking, Mar 11, 2016
  9. @flashh4:Solved with a repair install !!?
    can provide details and description how u made it?did u install win 10 64 bit ?
    facing same problem while trying to clean install win 10 64bit on e8500(freeze on win logo itself) but can install win 10 32bit on e8500
    Thank you

10. spapakons Win User
    Hello!

As suggested in my previous post, install Aida64 and see the CPU instructions supported by your CPU. If it doesn't support the specific instructions mentioned by another poster, then don't try in vain. You cannot install the 64-bit version unless you hack the kernel. Hacking the kernel in Windows 8 and 8.1 works without any problem, but in Windows 10 you keep getting an error message that some system file is modified (signature test fails) and asked to troubleshoot. To boot your computer you have to go to the troubleshoot menu and then select the 7 option (disable driver signature) EVERY time. No matter what I did I could not do to automatically and get rid of this requirement. So avoid 64-bit if your CPU doesn't support it. Besides if you have up to 4GB RAM, there is no point installing the 64-bit version. Go for the 32-bit version instead, unless you have more than 4GB RAM (unlikely). I doubt there is any performance difference either, and the compatibility of 32-bit version is far greater for older devices and applications. Another reason to stay clear from 64-bit version if you have an old computer! I speak of experience!

spapakons, Mar 11, 2016
  11. Thank you for your reply .but on 32bit i can use only 3.12 out of 4gb ram .so can't play hd videos smoothly.but on 64 bit it is good .thats why trying.with AIDA64 ENGINEER I checked e8500 does not support cmpxchg16b.

12. Also is there any list of processors that supports win 10 64 bit?

13. spapakons Win User

"CPU isn't supported"

Any Intel socket 775 CPU greater than the first two families (500 family was first 32-bit s775 series, 600 family was first s755 64-bit series) has a chance of being compatible. To make sure use Aida64 and check if these instructions are supported. If they are, then go for 64-bit. If they aren't go for the 32-bit instead. The less RAM supported should not affect the graphics performance. To get best performance make sure you have Intel graphics drivers installed, not generic Microsoft driver from Windows Update!

Today I found my old Pinnacle Studio PCTV card and my also old Creative SoundBlaster Live! 1024 card and tried to install these in my test PC that has Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installed. For the SoundBlaster, I tried to install the official Creative Windows XP x64 driver since no newer was available. The first error message was that this driver was unsigned, so I restarted with "disable driver signature" option. I managed to install the driver, supposedly OK but no sound was produced from the speakers! I then tried to install the generic Microsoft Vista & 7 64-bit driver which I had sometime downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog only to discover it cannot be installed in Windows 10 64-bit (and probably in Windows 8 64-bit as well). There was an error message about some files missing. So tough luck. I then tried to install the Pinnacle TV tuner card with some hard-to-find third-party BT848 drivers I had downloaded in the past for Windows 7 64-bit. The audio device could be installed but the video device could not! VERY annoying!

So my advice is to stay away from Windows 10 64-bit if you have an old computer with up to 4GB RAM. Even if the CPU supported the 64-bit version and you managed to installed it, you could have issues with your old devices. Why bother? The difference between 3.25GB and 4GB RAM is not too big to worth the trouble. Let alone that there should not be a full 4GB because of the shared amount by the Intel graphics card. So do yourself a favor and forget it. Install 32-bit instead with proper drivers for best performance and - most importantly - best compatibility. I wasn't kidding when I told you I speak of experience. I have lost countless hours to make stuff work in 64-bit only to give up and replace them with newer components that have 64-bit drivers.

spapakons, Mar 12, 2016
  14. i think e8500 greater than first 2 families right.i have e2180 and e6600 working on win 10 64bit.i heard updating bios may help.is it possible.my motherboard is zebronics nf 7050 and chipset nvidia nforce 610i .i got only .rom file from zebronics website.how to use this file to update bios?

Jaasmineking, Mar 12, 2016
  15. spapakons Win User
    Look again at the BIOS download site if any utility is mentioned and download it. It could be in the Applications/Utilities section. If you have Award BIOS or Phoenix or AMI there are specific utilities that work in all motherboards, but the safest is to download the utility from the motherboard's own web site. If the utility is DOS based, you need a way to boot into DOS (command prompt) to use it. One way is to use an old Windows 95 or 98 CD-ROM and boot into the command prompt. If you have a floppy disk drive, you should copy the BIOS there, as the DOS cannot normally access an NTFS hard disk to get it from there neither can access your USB Flash drive. It might be able to access your USB Flash drive if you connect it before you switch on your PC and then enable the legacy USB options in BIOS, but this is not always supported. Of course your USB Flash drive should be FAT32 formatted and as small as possible to improve compatibility (drives over 4GB may not be recognized properly). Read the utility instructions of how to use it.

spapakons, Mar 12, 2016
Thema:

"CPU isn't supported"

1. "CPU isn't supported" - Similar Threads - CPU isn't supported

2. Why isn't my cpu supported for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't my cpu supported for Windows 11?: My CPU Intel Pentium Gold 4415U doesn't appear to be supported for Windows 11, yet what appears to be a very similar CPU Intel Pentium Gold 4417U is? Will mine work if the other one is supported, or is that too risky to try? Is there any way to verify before installing?...
  3. Why isn't my cpu supported for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why isn't my cpu supported for Windows 11?: My CPU Intel Pentium Gold 4415U doesn't appear to be supported for Windows 11, yet what appears to be a very similar CPU Intel Pentium Gold 4417U is? Will mine work if the other one is supported, or is that too risky to try? Is there any way to verify before installing?...
  4. My CPU isn't currently supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My CPU isn't currently supported: HI, I have a Inter Core i7-4771 CPU @350 GHz, in the future my processor is going to be supported for update to Windows 11?.Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cpu-isnt-currently-supported/48b4082e-a383-4957-8150-be25a929b4fc
  5. My CPU isn't currently supported

My CPU isn't currently supported: HI, I have a Inter Core i7-4771 CPU @350 GHz, in the future my processor is going to be supported for update to Windows 11?.Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cpu-isnt-currently-supported/48b4082e-a383-4957-8150-be25a929b4fc
  6. cpu not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cpu not supported: I have a i7 6700HQ cpu, why is it not supported for windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-not-supported/65c8516c-d001-49a7-bec1-8538c172b2ff
  7. cpu not supported

cpu not supported: I have a i7 6700HQ cpu, why is it not supported for windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-not-supported/65c8516c-d001-49a7-bec1-8538c172b2ff
  8. CPU Not Supported

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Not Supported: Have Windows 7 sp1 and Windows 10 Build 10240 in dual boot. On trying to upgrade windows 7, error message: Your CPU is not supported. Have Intel Core2duo E7500 @ 2.93 ghz. Coreinfo utility says all NX, PAE & SSE2 are supported and enabled. Window 10 preview has all along...
  9. CPU Support

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Support: Hi all I was wondering if there is a list of CPUs supported by Win 10? I am currently running two desktops one with a Dual Core Pentium @ 2ghz and a Core Duo E8400 @ 3 Ghz. They both run Win 8.1 fine but was wondering if 10 will support them. I know min requirements are 1...
  10. "The CPU isn't supported" error true or not

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "The CPU isn't supported" error true or not: I have gotten the app in my Windows 7 system. There was the warning/error "The CPU isn't supported", but still said "Your upgrade is reserved!" I assumed that the reservation would over-run the error. I thought: why would windows 10 accept the reservation, with having the...