Windows 10: CPU lag spikes and Fan issues

Discus and support CPU lag spikes and Fan issues in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3, and everything was fine with my PC until yesterday evening. I didn't download anything, or change any settings, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SaarangAnand, Aug 12, 2023.

1. CPU lag spikes and Fan issues

I have a lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3, and everything was fine with my PC until yesterday evening. I didn't download anything, or change any settings, but I started noticing that in EVERY game that I play, my CPU spikes to 100% every 20-30 seconds. When the CPU spikes to 100%, my FPS drops to about 2, and my audio starts cutting out. This is getting quite ridiculous. I also noticed that the fan isn't running at full speed. I updated the bios today, and when it was updating, I heard the fan roar. However, when I am in game, I can barely hear the fan. My CPU is at 93 C and my GPU at 86 C... How is

:)

SaarangAnand, Aug 12, 2023

2. Lag spikes, CPU heat, Fans revving

Sounds like your CPU cooling may be insufficient. Do the lag spikes correspond to temperature spikes and or CPU frequency drops?

You can use HWiNFO - Hardware Information, Analysis and Monitoring Tools to monitor whether your CPU hits thermal throttling (or you can use your temperature/frequency monitor of choice to see if CPU frequency drops).

CPU lag spikes and Fan issues 195694d1531575192t-lag-spikes-cpu-heat-fans-revving-image.png

PolarNettles, Aug 12, 2023
  3. Significant CPU, GPU and RAM lag spikes

My computer is having significant lag spikes. How do I make my computer's CPU, GPU and RAM go down? Any tips or suggestions? Also I use this computer for gaming.

100% gpu usage!
    6.5gb ram usage!
    65% cpu usage!
    Disk does fine, though.

Windows 10, 21H2

CPU lag spikes and Fan issues 355829d1640663740t-significant-cpu-gpu-ram-lag-spikes-stats.png

looktothecosmos, Aug 12, 2023
  4. CPU lag spikes and Fan issues

Lag spikes, CPU heat, Fans revving

The fan speed ramping with temperature is something you have to configure. Your motherboard comes with some default fan profile that may or may not be optimal for your cooler. I believe Asus's fan tuning utility is in the AI Suite.

The speed jumping from 800MHz to 4.5GHz is expected. The CPU automatically reduces the frequency when it is idle and increases it when busy. At full load do you see the frequency change?

As for the lag spikes, do you see CPU and/or disk activity increase in Task Manager? There's an ongoing thread on the forum that you can check to see if it applies to you - Experiencing slight pause every four seconds - Windows 10 Forums

PolarNettles, Aug 12, 2023
Thema:

CPU lag spikes and Fan issues

1. CPU lag spikes and Fan issues - Similar Threads - CPU lag spikes

2. Latency Issues And Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latency Issues And Lag Spikes: Obviously im not that good at tech so ive asked this but i get around 165-180 fps so i dont know why when i play fortnite for example it keeps lagging my screen idk what the word is but i think its jittering but its really been annoying me because ive just upgraded my gpu to...
  3. Latency Issues And Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latency Issues And Lag Spikes: Obviously im not that good at tech so ive asked this but i get around 165-180 fps so i dont know why when i play fortnite for example it keeps lagging my screen idk what the word is but i think its jittering but its really been annoying me because ive just upgraded my gpu to...
  4. Latency Issues And Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. CPU lag spikes and Fan issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU lag spikes and Fan issues: I have a lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3, and everything was fine with my PC until yesterday evening. I didn't download anything, or change any settings, but I started noticing that in EVERY game that I play, my CPU spikes to 100% every 20-30 seconds. When the CPU spikes to 100%, my...
  6. Lag spikes, CPU heat, Fans revving

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lag spikes, CPU heat, Fans revving: Guys. I just built a new pc. It has Rog Strix z370f gaming Intel i7-8700k Gtx 980 16 gb DDR4 Corsair TX750M PSU Problem is that my fans are revving even when executing a small task. Open browser etc. Temp on cpu is 50 c. I tried putting quiet mode. Another one is that I get...
  7. Lag spikes, CPU heat, Fans revving

in Windows 10 Support
    Lag spikes, CPU heat, Fans revving: Guys. I just built a new pc. It has Rog Strix z370f gaming Intel i7-8700k Gtx 980 16 gb DDR4 Corsair TX750M PSU Problem is that my fans are revving even when executing a small task. Open browser etc. Temp on cpu is 50 c. I tried putting quiet mode. Another one is that I get...
  8. CPU fan issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU fan issues: Hey everyone, Been digging around for a few days and haven't been able to find an answer myself so I figured I try here. My CPU (i7-6700k) has been running hot (90'C+). The other day I noticed the fan wasn't even spinning while that hot and even when hitting 100'C. Also...
  9. CPU spikes and performance lag

CPU spikes and performance lag: Hi everyone. During the past few days I have a problem regarding my computer performance. Problem: -My computer is getting random performance lags that last 3-5 seconds. -The cpu usage will jump when it happens; anywhere from 50-100%. -Large Ethernet spikes as well....
  10. CPU Spikes and PC Lag

CPU Spikes and PC Lag: So my PC is running normally without any lag spikes in Videos, Games, and everything UNTIL I open up World of Warcraft, then the lag spikes return. Would anyone have a clue about what causes this ?