Windows 10: CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license

Discus and support CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I changed my motherboard and CPU, and now Windows needs to be activated. My Activation tab in the system settings looks like this: [ATTACH] I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bardy_, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Bardy_ Win User

CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license

I changed my motherboard and CPU, and now Windows needs to be activated. My Activation tab in the system settings looks like this:

CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license 4b5b4201-4a03-4de1-b533-ff72708fa098?upload=true.jpg

I am signed in with my Microsoft account. I click on troubleshoot and it shows the devices attached to my account. I select the device I am currently using, and I see this error:

CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license 03b58d2c-87bb-488d-b108-42e0ad2b75a3?upload=true.jpg

I own a retail version of Windows that I purchased off the Microsoft store, and I can provide proof of purchase. I unfortunately don't have the serial key. Is there any way I can reactivate Windows without my product key, or will I have to purchase Windows again?

:)

Bardy_, Dec 25, 2019
  2. Jabadude Win User

Windows 10 reactivate after motherboard and CPU change

I changed the motherboard and CPU on my computer and the digital license reactivation isn't working. I follow all the steps, (settings - update & security - Activation - Troubleshoot - I changed hardware on this device recently) the computer I am trying
    to activate windows 10 on does not show up as one that I can choose. BUT when I go into my Microsoft account it is there under devices. Why is it not showing up as one I can choose to activate windows 10 on????

Jabadude, Dec 25, 2019
  3. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Dec 25, 2019
  4. PerryM1 Win User

Reactivating Windows (digital license) after major hardware change

Will I be able to reactivate Windows 10 (that I got through upgrading Win 8) if I change most of my laptop hardware - motherboard, CPU, etc (I had liquid damage). Essentially I'd change out most of my hardware through
    a used donor laptop of same model.

I had connected my digital Windows license to my Microsoft account, but I can't obtain the product key since it was upgraded from Win 8.

PerryM1, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

1. CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license - Similar Threads - CPU Motherboard Change

2. can't reactivate windows after changing motherboard, cpu and ram.

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't reactivate windows after changing motherboard, cpu and ram.: I've reinstalled my pc after getting new hardware and now I can't seem to reactivate it, everytime I go to Start button, then select Settings > System > Activation > troubleshoot > I changed hardware on this device recently, It says, "We can't reactivate Windows as our...
  3. can't reactivate windows after changing motherboard, cpu and ram.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't reactivate windows after changing motherboard, cpu and ram.: I've reinstalled my pc after getting new hardware and now I can't seem to reactivate it, everytime I go to Start button, then select Settings > System > Activation > troubleshoot > I changed hardware on this device recently, It says, "We can't reactivate Windows as our...
  4. can't reactivate windows after changing motherboard, cpu and ram.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to reactivate after motherboard and CPU change

Unable to reactivate after motherboard and CPU change: I changed my motherboard, CPU and RAM. Because of this my hard disk had to be formatted and then when I tried to reactivate my Windows, I am getting the error code: 0x803FABBB. I had gotten Windows 8 years back and I have forgotten the product key. How do I activate my...
  6. Can't reactivate windows with digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reactivate windows with digital license after hardware change: tried the troubleshoot in the activation settings and signed in to my account with windows digital license and the next page tells me no devices found???I used a local account before I changed the hardware, but the digital license should be tied to my email address since I...
  7. Can't reactivate windows with digital license after hardware change

Can't reactivate windows with digital license after hardware change: tried the troubleshoot in the activation settings and signed in to my account with windows digital license and the next page tells me no devices found???I used a local account before I changed the hardware, but the digital license should be tied to my email address since I...
  8. Can't reactivate windows with digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  9. Digital license won't reactivate on new hardware motherboard, cpu ram

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital license won't reactivate on new hardware motherboard, cpu ram: Hello, I have a digital license of Windows 10 that is linked to my Windows account. I've just replaced my motherboard, cpu and ram and whenever I attempt to reactivate my license the activation troubleshoot says "Unable to activate Windows, We can't reactivate Windows on this...
  10. Reactivating windows after changing the motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating windows after changing the motherboard and CPU: I'm trying to reactivate my windows 10 with the "I recently changed hardware" option given in the troubleshooting menu, and my old PC DOES appear in the menu, but trying to select it just takes me to an empty window that says "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try...