Windows 10: CPU not stepping/clocking down when Idle?

Discus and support CPU not stepping/clocking down when Idle? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just noticed that my i7 2600K (overclocked) is not stepping down when idle in Win10 (10166). I haven't even checked in another build. But when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by xtrem, Jul 14, 2015.

1. xtrem Win User

CPU not stepping/clocking down when Idle?

I just noticed that my i7 2600K (overclocked) is not stepping down when idle in Win10 (10166).
    I haven't even checked in another build. But when switching back to win 8.1 no problem. Stepping down in MHz and Volt.

I have minimum to 5% and max to 100% in power settings in both Windows.

ASUS Sabertooth P67

:)

xtrem, Jul 14, 2015

2. SurfaceBook CPU clock not going down (battery getting drained)

Hi there,

i have an weird issue since today.

This morning my SurfaceBook worked fine. It was fully charged and battery usage was normal. CPU was at about 0,7-1,2 GHz

Then when the battery hit 20%, the remaining time, even though brightness went down, decreased and decreased. From 20 to 5% it took me about 15 minutes.

I then noticed that CPU Clock is constantly at 2,79 GHz, even when CPU Usage was around 1%.

Disabled PowerSave Mode and restartet --> No Effect. Right after the login the CPU seems to clock down but after a few seconds it goes up to 2,79 again.

I then disabled ConnectedStandby to get the power-profiles back and tried the powersave profile --> no change.

Then i limited the CPU Power to 5% in the powerprofile --> that worked, CPU went down to 0,39GHz and Battery Life increased dramatically.

Now back at home i plugged the SurfaceBook to the charger and since then the CPU is constantly clocking around 3,29 and 3,4 GHz (1-2% CPU Usage)

Im a bit worried as the designed power for this CPU is 2,6 GHz and also the battery life is horrible now.

I have almost no applications installed as this SurfaceBook is new so there is nothing to uninstall or clean...

間瀬流白川, Jul 14, 2015
  3. Loose WIFI when I close the lid (Windows 10)

while that may or may not help

when setting a portable computer to High Performance plan

one must also adjust the Processor Power Management

Minimum processor state for "plugged in"

the default Minimum processor state for High Performance "plugged in"

is 100% and thus will never ever adjust the CPU clock from the max clock speed

eg.

if your portable computer has an i7 4GHz

it will run while plugged in, at 4GHz continually

without doing "Speed step" down to 1GHz or whatever the lowest clock rate is for the specified CPU

when setting a portable computer to High performance

one must adjust the following section:

CPU not stepping/clocking down when Idle? [​IMG]

Locutus deBorg, Jul 14, 2015
Thema:

CPU not stepping/clocking down when Idle?

1. CPU not stepping/clocking down when Idle? - Similar Threads - CPU stepping clocking

2. Chrome using full CPU when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome using full CPU when idle: When I start my laptop, my laptop fans were running too fast so I checked the task manager and found that chrome is using 80% ~ 100% CPU even when I didn't open chrome. This is happening almost every time. I always have to open the task manager and end task for chrome.I don't...
  3. CPU temperatures when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU temperatures when idle: I recently upgraded to windows 11, whilst playing GTA V, which i know is a very demanding game my CPU temperature got to about 85 degrees, I turned my PC off overnight as usual then when turning it on in the morning after being fully turned off at the plug my CPU was...
  4. CPU temperatures when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU temperatures when idle: I recently upgraded to windows 11, whilst playing GTA V, which i know is a very demanding game my CPU temperature got to about 85 degrees, I turned my PC off overnight as usual then when turning it on in the morning after being fully turned off at the plug my CPU was...
  5. CPU temperatures when idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Computer shuts down when idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle: Hi. Right after installing yesterday’s Windows Updates, my computer started shutting down after being idle (or as soon as the screensaver came on). I’ve run Avast! and Maleware Bytes — both are clear, and I’ve tried clearing my browsers’ cache. Nothing seems to work....
  7. HDDs not spinning down when idle

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDDs not spinning down when idle: I have a recently built computer. This system has six drives, five of which are HDDs. The system drive is an SSD. Two of the HDDs are primary drives: one is for programs (mainly games) and the other is for media (videos, pictures, documents). The remaining three drives are...
  8. CPU is stuck in OC mode and not stepping down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU is stuck in OC mode and not stepping down: Asus G752VY, I76700HQ @ 2.60, 32 gb Ram, NVidia 980m, Samsung 960 Pro 500 GB Windows 10 Pro 1709 16299.98 Two things I'm noticing first off using HWinfo 64 and CPUID HWmonitor, and Performance monitor, my I76700HQ @ 2.60 CPU is stuck in OC mode and is not stepping down at...
  9. CPU usage when PC is idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU usage when PC is idle: This is not an issue but more a curiosity. I have the old Windows cup / ram monitor running as a gadget on Windows 10. When the PC is idle for a few minutes I notice the cup usage always spikes to around 10-13% and stays around that mark. As soon as I touch mouse and move it...
  10. Computer shuts down when idle?

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle?: have made sure that all the settings i can find in power options for shutting the PC down when idle are either set to never or disabled but must have missed something somewhere? after 20 minutes or so the PC shuts itself off..... any ideas? I originally suspected a non...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cpu not clocking down winows 10

2. 6700 not clockind down at idle

3. gpu not clocking down win10 2018