Windows 10: CPU Nuked from Orbit

Discus and support CPU Nuked from Orbit in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Slowly but surely, I've noticed my CPU can't keep up with once-normal daily tasks. I use Windows 10 (upgraded) and a SSD. There are two main issues.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SixFootEwok, Jun 10, 2016.

1. CPU Nuked from Orbit

Slowly but surely, I've noticed my CPU can't keep up with once-normal daily tasks. I use Windows 10 (upgraded) and a SSD.

There are two main issues.
    The first, while using Photoshop (CC) is a spike / total freeze (up to 30 seconds) of the program even when working on sub-75mb files, but only when I use my Wacom Create tablet. The freeze happens when I use a mouse, but isn't as intense. Peculiar thing is, I also notice the same freeze on my personal laptop with (upgraded) Windows 10 and SSD. Even more peculiar, this didn't seem to happen with a standard HDD and Windows 7, which was a company laptop.

A more troubling issue started a couple days ago, when the whole system has trouble running Photoshop and one Twitch stream. The CPU is up to 80-90% consistently, even after rebooting.

I also have inconsistent boot times: sometimes the system starts right up, but still takes a while to get all the programs loaded (my startup isn't crazy: it loads Slack, Trillian, and a couple other odds and ends). Sometimes that boot is several minutes.

Other info:
    - Video and Wacom drivers are up to date, as well as all Adobe CC versions.
    - I did the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 less than a year ago. Maybe 9 months?
    The system itself is rather old, with the CPU / mobo approaching 5ish years old, but I don't think I should be having this much trouble.

Is this indicative of a CPU falling on its sword, or is there something that needs refreshing? I've looked up a Windows 10 reset, but wanted to make sure it's not something else before I nuke all my apps.

Thanks for any help!

:)

SixFootEwok, Jun 10, 2016

2. Windows 10 Photos app won't launch on build 10586.104

Seriously? THIS IS MICROSOFT'S ANSWER? "Nuke it from orbit"? Ho-ly ****!

GranoblasticMan, Jun 10, 2016
  3. Ethan B. Win User
    iTunes Installation Trouble. . .Problem with Windows installer package

This is essentially a "nuke from orbit" kind of approach, it's to make sure nothing goes wrong with the installation due to existing files. I wish it was certainly easier, since it took me a while to figure this out as well! Good luck.

Ethan B., Jun 10, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

CPU Nuked from Orbit

When confronted with such problems I first do a full update of the antivirus program then run a full/deep scan, will take awhile. Then I usually download and install the free Malwarebytes, let it update then run it. In extreme situations I also use a Registry cleaner but that can be dangerous.

I check that all devices are using the proper drivers, some from Win7 and early may not work properly and if the computer and OS are 64-bit the drivers need to be 64-bit, same for 32-bit needs 32-bit [can't run 64-bit anyway]. I've only changed from 32-bit to 64-bit on suitable computers by doing a clean install [upgrade or downgrade from one to the other requires it].

Berton, Jun 10, 2016
  5. By "antivirus program" are you talking about one in particular or Windows Defender?

6. Berton Win User
    That always refers to what you have installed. Is Windows Defender what you are using? If so work with it.

Berton, Jun 10, 2016
  7. Thanks.
    If these scans don't show anything, what would you recommend?

8. Ztruker Win User

CPU Nuked from Orbit

Ztruker, Jun 11, 2016
  9. Have a look at your "reliability history" and see if there are any red flags.If so,right click on the "check for a solution",then click on "view tech details".The freeze is often caused by the display adapter timing out and shows up as "nvlddmkm".I and many others were plagued by this in the early days of win10 and the only solution was to uninstall Nvidea drivers completely and re-install using the custom method and ONLY installing the drivers,not any of the other stuff.I started with the latest driver package available,which worked,it was NOT THE ONE win10 said was correct.

joeandmarg0, Jun 11, 2016
  10. So, started with a clean boot, and the boot time was still especially long (black screen with blue Windows logo). Once the desktop loaded, it was of course faster, but 85% of the loading was the logo screen.

I also saw the cpu hit 100% as soon as I launched chrome (it loads about 5 pages). But, 100% seemed excessive. This was before I re-enabled some of my startup programs, but nothing else was running except Chrome.

SixFootEwok, Jun 11, 2016
  11. @joeandmarg0 Hmm, all that's in there is Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager failing, though it's every day or every other day, with a few days in between at most. Nothing from any of the programs I use often.

The Photoshop freeze is usually a hangup which then sorts itself out. I don't have to kill Photoshop or any other program. It's just as if I'm working on a huuuuuge file and the system can't take it (but of course, they're smallish files...200mb at the very largest). I'll try to reinstall the newest Nvidia driver, but I'm pretty sure I go barebones wrt the extras.

12. Mighty tall for an ewok!

I at first suspected Wacom, but you state that the drivers are up-to-date (Windows - Driver 6.3.16-2 | 04/27/2016)

You're not going to like this suggestion, but I think it's the most expedient:
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Many issues are caused by carry-over in the upgrade. Windows does it's best to compensate for older programs. A fresh install doesn't have to contend with older programs until you install them. Re-installing a program forces you to get the most recent release (or it should *Wink)

A Clean install also allows you to troubleshoot issues a little better. As you install your favorite programs - you can determine which one negatively affects the system, if you install the pgms one-at-a-time and test the machine for a while, including shutdown and restarts.

Sure, it's a bit of work to reinstall your programs ... but it's worth it IMHO

Slartybart, Jun 11, 2016
  13. CPU Nuked from Orbit

Don't laugh! He was made fun of in school. : P

So yeah, after a gap between responses on forums, I went ahead and did the clean install, like you mentioned. I'm still waiting for Windows Update to trickle in the updates, but here's the latest:

I had Dropbox updating all my files, I was playing Overwatch, and there was a Twitch stream going (horray super awkward E3 presentations). Anyway, the stream was super laggy, and after exiting Overwatch and killing Dropbox, the CPU is still at 50-ish% and the stream is choppy / laggy. The CPU during all three of these was absolutely throttled at 100%. What's also interesting is even though the stream is having trouble, the stream's audio is just fine; maybe it's a vid card issue?

I'm obviously no expert, but it almost seems like my CPU is just having its ass handed to it, or simply can't keep up with this stuff. Not sure.

14. Ok, thanks.

Nvidia seems to cause some issues depending on the model and the driver.

What version of the Nvidia driver is on your system?

EVGA - Download Center
    Release Date: 6-07-2016 Version: 368.39 Part Number: GeForce 400 Series Family OS: Windows 10 64bit Same version is avbailable on GeForce.com

Slartybart, Jun 12, 2016
  15. I just did a clean install, so it should have the newest. *double checks* Yeah, it's up to date, and the system / processes couldn't be cleaner at this point, so it might just be in over its head. Unless there are other ideas...

SixFootEwok, Jun 12, 2016
Thema:

CPU Nuked from Orbit

1. CPU Nuked from Orbit - Similar Threads - CPU Nuked Orbit

2. Nuked network driver??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nuked network driver??: Hello, I made the enormous mistake of updating windows drivers using windows update about 8 hours ago. As a background, I work as a software engineer.My wifi stopped working, so I did everything under the sun to correct the mistake, including speaking with 3 different...
  3. Nuked network driver??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Nuked network driver??: Hello, I made the enormous mistake of updating windows drivers using windows update about 8 hours ago. As a background, I work as a software engineer.My wifi stopped working, so I did everything under the sun to correct the mistake, including speaking with 3 different...
  4. Windows 10 Update Nukes Itself

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update Nukes Itself: Hey all. I recently updated to the newest version of Windows 10 available to me about an hour ago from a pre-existing windows 10 version. The version numbers I am unable to recall. However, upon reboot during the update, the Preparing Automatic Repair or however way around...
  5. How to completely nuke SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to completely nuke SSD: Alright I know I've posted 1 million posts about this but my computer got a RAT, and first I wanted to use DBAN to nuke the hard drive then realized it was a SSD not HDD and I couldn't really find a good free nuking software so is there a like a DBAN alternative for SSDs? If...
  6. Instructioons to nuke auto-brightness indefinitely?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Instructioons to nuke auto-brightness indefinitely?: submitted by /u/hey_imKramer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g4iniy/instructioons_to_nuke_autobrightness_indefinitely/
  7. HAD TO NUKE VIRUS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HAD TO NUKE VIRUS: Hi. Five differant apps couldnt budge a bed in virus my only option was a factory reset. All was going well until microsoft wanted me to sign in to microsoft i dont think i can do that. They were on my back before wanting product key ! Please guys ive come so close to...
  8. Windows 10 1809 nuked half of my laptop CPU performance.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 1809 nuked half of my laptop CPU performance.: Like the title, after the "refined" 1809 update, my laptop got slower. I gradually noticed it but I could not pin point why... until now. The dam things cap my laptop at 1.2 GHz on any kind of load. In the picture, I am encoding a video using ffmpeg and the CPU just stalls at...
  9. Hp Orbit app

Hp Orbit app: My hp orbit app is not working. I spoke with a samsung galxy helper and he said the app hasn't been working for him as well. Is there anyone else having problems?...
  10. DBAN (Daric's Boot and Nuke)

DBAN (Daric's Boot and Nuke): DBAN is a tool that some find useful. All this installing, updating, uninstalling, ad infinite, can be simplified somewhat by swapping drives, wiping, replacing, etc. I've also seen posts where drives were trashed?? I doubt it but regardless................... Spare drives...