Windows 10: CPU power management malfunctioning (?)

Discus and support CPU power management malfunctioning (?) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I noticed that my i7 2720QM in a Dell Latitude E6420 doesn't really drop the frequency and voltage as expected, but stays at 2,8-3,3 GHz most of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Maciej Wojnar, May 19, 2019.

1. CPU power management malfunctioning (?)

I noticed that my i7 2720QM in a Dell Latitude E6420 doesn't really drop the frequency and voltage as expected, but stays at 2,8-3,3 GHz most of the time and sometimes goes down to 2,2 GHz. This happens on "balanced" power plan, as on "power saver" it drops to around 800 MHz which causes slowdown. On my main PC which has an i7 4770k Speedstep works properly I.e. it stays on turbo speed when needed but when the load drops, voltage and frequency do as well. Can I somehow manually adjust any settings that could resolve the issue? The bios version is A26, and I've freshly insstalled 18362.113 build (19H1/1903), so that might be the cause.

Edit: I forgot to add that I've downgraded BIOS to A03 and swapped the CPU to my older i5 2520m, none of which helped.

:)

Maciej Wojnar, May 19, 2019
  2. bobblub Win User

Processor Power Management isn't there

Hello! I have a laptop and i find that the fan is constantly on, and the sound is unbearably loud. I checked various YouTube tutorials and some suggested reducing the CPU's power consumption percentage in the processor power management area (after clicking
    advanced power settings). When I click advanced power settings, there is no section titled processor power management. is there a way to reduce the CPU's power consumption percentage, and why cant I find the processor power management section?

Thanks in advance CPU power management malfunctioning (?) :)

bobblub, May 19, 2019
  3. power management

Hi,

Thank you posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to remove all the external devices connected to the system, restart and check if the issue persists or not.

If issue still persists, try to run the troubleshooter and check if that helps:

Step 2: Run the Power Troubleshooter

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the
      Search bar on the desktop and press “Enter”.

• In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

• Click on “Power”.

• Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 19, 2019
  4. sba923 Win User

CPU power management malfunctioning (?)

Need help for troubleshooting a CPU power management issue

I hate to say, but I think you missed my point.

I am not investigating the CPU's performance
    (as in: measuring app performance via benchmarking), but the management of the CPU's
    frequency as part of the mechanisms that save power in the platform (via "CPU throttling" a.k.a. "Dynamic frequency scaling", called "SpeedStep" by Intel).

The Technet article is not relevant, 'cos it refers to
    system power management (Sx power states), not to CPU powermanagement (Cx states, variable CPU frequency).

sba923, May 19, 2019
Thema:

CPU power management malfunctioning (?)

1. CPU power management malfunctioning (?) - Similar Threads - CPU power management

2. Is my motherboard or CPU malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my motherboard or CPU malfunctioning: My Windows 10 computer had worked fine for over a year. Then one day I came home to my computer in BIOS. If I completely turn off the computer and turn it back on, I get the diagnosing PC message then it tells me that Start Repair could not fix the computer. If I reboot...
  3. Is my motherboard or CPU malfunctioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my motherboard or CPU malfunctioning: My Windows 10 computer had worked fine for over a year. Then one day I came home to my computer in BIOS. If I completely turn off the computer and turn it back on, I get the diagnosing PC message then it tells me that Start Repair could not fix the computer. If I reboot...
  4. Is my motherboard or CPU malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Task Manager malfunctioning and forgetting settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager malfunctioning and forgetting settings: The Task Manager used to work right, but recently it always opens in "less details" mode after a PC reboot, and I can no longer enable or disable Startup programs. Any changes I do in the Startup tab get reset after rebooting my PC, so I'm permanently stuck with the current...
  6. Task manager cpu power usage

Task manager cpu power usage: Excuse me can someone help me I have found some processes using high power usage can you please have a look at these. These processes are making my laptop overheat. In this picture the cpu is at 76% but it goes upto 100%Is it okay to...
  7. CPU Power Management Option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU Power Management Option: Hello, I have a Dell G5 Gaming Laptop, my CPU doesn't seem to let me adjust it's performance in BIOS, so I have looked into the power plan and adjusted that. The system performs well and all, but some games need a faster individual CPU speed and my CPU isn't even trying to go...
  8. Task Manager 'Details' Malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Manager 'Details' Malfunctioning: I got my windows updated with the Insider Preview. The version now is the newest: 20251.1with FE. The task manager malfunctions as: Once I open the task manager and click 'Details', the task manager stops for a short whilewith no display and then crashes. In fact it also acts...
  9. Memory management and kernel malfunction

Memory management and kernel malfunction: Hi, I got a problem with my P57X v7 Gigabyte 16go Ram, i7-7700HQ, win10 installed on SSD 500go m2 PCIe, I got a 1to HDD. While playing War Thunder game, and using Discord app I experiences theses problems: Yesterday I got a kernel BSOD: I do chkdsk.exe And it seems...
  10. Windows Power Manager or Manufacturer Power Manager ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Power Manager or Manufacturer Power Manager ?: I got to realize windows implemented its own battery power manager , it is set on "Best Performance" while I already have a manufacturer battery power manager that is installed but two years old (Early 2016) that reports being up to date set on "Balance Mode" , now i am...