Windows 10: CPU spikes and performance lag

Discus and support CPU spikes and performance lag in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi everyone. During the past few days I have a problem regarding my computer performance. Problem: -My computer is getting random performance lags... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TheMole, Oct 31, 2016.

1. TheMole Win User

CPU spikes and performance lag

Hi everyone. During the past few days I have a problem regarding my computer performance.

Problem:
    -My computer is getting random performance lags that last 3-5 seconds.
    -The cpu usage will jump when it happens; anywhere from 50-100%.
    -Large Ethernet spikes as well.
    -It's completely random and is very hard to catch but it happens when I'm:
    a. browsing the internet ; engaging in miniscule internet activities.
    b. opening an application on my computer.
    c. watching a video, both on and outside the internet.
    d. playing a software intensive game.

symptoms:
    -Computer slows but doesn't freeze
    -the really bad spikes are up to 100% cpu usage; usually though they are 50-80%.
    -Video sound gets distorted and choppy; like if you have an injured CD that still plays right through the scratches but gets all choppy sounding.
    -often times the mouse pointer will, all of the sudden, be trailing during the strange slow motion performance lag.

I had the same problem for like a week and it all of a sudden got fixed without me doing anything. However after 3-4 days the problem returned.

Do you have any ideas for a solution. I scanned my computer with Avast Security and it found no viruses on my computer.

My specs:
    - Windows 10 build 14393
    - Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
    - Driver version 375.50
    - Intel Core i5-6600 CPU @ 3.50 GHz

:)

TheMole, Oct 31, 2016

2. services.exe CPU spikes caused by pc suite update

I have windows 2000 SP4 (yes, i know i need to upgrade). I recently got the update to PC Suite. I now have version 6.86.9.0

every minute or two, task manager shows a CPU spike to 100% that lasts about 3 seconds. the task is services.exe

naturally i started stopping services until the intermittent spikes stopped. the culprit? a service called 'ServiceLayer', which runs the NclUSBSrv.exe and NclRSSrv.exe processes.

as soon as i stopped it, the CPU lag spikes go away. after about an hour, it seemed to run fine, then i opened up nokia pc suite, it started the service again, and the CPU lag spikes came back.

obviously nokia processes are causing some problems, and it has something to do with a change in the last update.

nokia, can you please look into this or tell me how to fix?

thx.

Message Edited by nellweems on 17-Apr-2008 08:17 AM

nellweems---01, Oct 31, 2016
  3. Badosoft Win User
    PC game is skippy/laggy in fullscreen

I suggest you to monitor your CPU for some time, not only when playing the game. If the CPU spikes often you might want to check the CPU temperature. Six out of ten times temperature problems cause lag issues not Windows itself.

I suggest:

1. Monitor your CPU over a period of few hours while playing or using resource intensive applications

2. Install
    openhardwaremonitor
    to get clues about temperature or voltage issues

3. Run virus scan with at least 2 independent scanners besides Windows Defender

4. Get rid of junk & temp files: download
    CCleaner

5. Get
    Latency Optimizer
    and record your game play with the Performance Recorder and check the log file for clues about CPU spikes

A.) If CPU temperature spikes high or stays high to bring your PC to service if your PC is still within the warenty.

B.) If your PC is out of warranty you can google for YouTube videos on how to refresh the cooling liquid on your CPU and how to use a vacuum cleaner to clean your CPU fan.

!Please before you do all that steps verify that your CPU spikes also in other situation or games!

Badosoft, Oct 31, 2016
  4. CPU spikes and performance lag

TairikuOkami, Oct 31, 2016
  5. TheMole Win User
    I just did all 3 of the things you suggested and nothing has changed. Do you have any other ideas.

Edit: Apparently I didn't do all the things, you suggested me, correctly. I just did them again, like they are supposed to be done, and everything seems to be working appropriately. There are no lag spikes and I think the problem is fixed. Thank you very much for helping me.

TheMole, Oct 31, 2016
  6. I have the same problem and followed all steps mentioned by tairiku and I must say it is a bit better but system keeps garbling up sound when playing heavy load games on win10

I bought a asus xonar DS pci soundcard and problem remains though a bit less then onboard sound.

Any help please?

Regards,
    Vince

vvnimwegen, Aug 16, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    Right click on the task bar and choose task manager. Go to the startup tab and then select any entries you don't really need.

swarfega, Aug 16, 2017
  8. Spectrum Win User

The best thing is to get a performance trace when the CPU spikes and lag are happening. Fortunately, Windows 10 has a tracing tool built-in, called Windows Performance Recorder.

When you notice performance has degraded, open an administrator powershell prompt and type:

Code: wpr.exe -start GeneralProfile[/quote]
    Wait 2-3 minutes (or less), then type in the same prompt:

Code: wpr.exe -Stop $home\Desktop\profile.etl[/quote] This will place a file called "profile.etl" on your Desktop.

Upload the profile.etl to Onedrive/Google Drive/<insert file host> and post a link to it here.

Spectrum, Aug 16, 2017
  9. Hello everyone, I have a Toshiba Satellite (9A420864K), Running Windows 10 Home. I am having huge lag spikes and a buzzing sound coming from my speakers. I've literally tried everything. Currently happening, Disk 100%.
    Things I have tried--------
    Disabling SuperFetch, Uninstalling Audio Drivers, Running Programs that's supposedly worked for others, Every link/video I have went to has not worked period, FINALLY Fresh Install big negative as well.
    I have thought about buying a new fan for it not exactly sure if I need to, Don't want to spend money if there is an actual fix for this issue. Not a lose screw...Not bouncing around like a monkey trying to get it to buzz, but I am running around the big web trying to find some type of relief. Also my internet is extremely slow, I have 60mb/s, currently a nasty 350-410kb/s.

chillaxcujo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. CPU spikes and performance lag - Similar Threads - CPU spikes performance

2. CPU lag spikes and Fan issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU lag spikes and Fan issues: I have a lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3, and everything was fine with my PC until yesterday evening. I didn't download anything, or change any settings, but I started noticing that in EVERY game that I play, my CPU spikes to 100% every 20-30 seconds. When the CPU spikes to 100%, my...
  3. CPU lag spikes and Fan issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU lag spikes and Fan issues: I have a lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3, and everything was fine with my PC until yesterday evening. I didn't download anything, or change any settings, but I started noticing that in EVERY game that I play, my CPU spikes to 100% every 20-30 seconds. When the CPU spikes to 100%, my...
  4. Wierd performance spikes and lagging everything?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wierd performance spikes and lagging everything?: i have been having this problem for a few days now, its getting really concerning as everything i do doesnt seems to be working, im very worried.https://imgur.com/a/E5YMwrhHere is how it looks, is basically just a huge lag spike, the audio goes choppy for some seconds, along...
  5. Wierd performance spikes and lagging everything?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wierd performance spikes and lagging everything?: i have been having this problem for a few days now, its getting really concerning as everything i do doesnt seems to be working, im very worried.https://imgur.com/a/E5YMwrhHere is how it looks, is basically just a huge lag spike, the audio goes choppy for some seconds, along...
  6. Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lag Spikes: So, I have had this computer for a month now and every game I have played I will get random lag spikes which in any game will often cause me to lose in the games I play. I play on a wireless internet and I can't have used ethernet and it has helped a bit but I cant always use...
  7. Lag spikes, CPU heat, Fans revving

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lag spikes, CPU heat, Fans revving: Guys. I just built a new pc. It has Rog Strix z370f gaming Intel i7-8700k Gtx 980 16 gb DDR4 Corsair TX750M PSU Problem is that my fans are revving even when executing a small task. Open browser etc. Temp on cpu is 50 c. I tried putting quiet mode. Another one is that I get...
  8. Lag spikes, CPU heat, Fans revving

in Windows 10 Support
    Lag spikes, CPU heat, Fans revving: Guys. I just built a new pc. It has Rog Strix z370f gaming Intel i7-8700k Gtx 980 16 gb DDR4 Corsair TX750M PSU Problem is that my fans are revving even when executing a small task. Open browser etc. Temp on cpu is 50 c. I tried putting quiet mode. Another one is that I get...
  9. Lag spikes / glitches affecting performance

Lag spikes / glitches affecting performance: I've been having a problem for the last week or so, basically I keep getting lag spikes / glitches that affect the performance of my machine. This manifests itself in the most obvious way as what can best be described as occasional "gzzzfchzz" sounds (much like a BSoD sound...
  10. CPU Spikes and PC Lag

CPU Spikes and PC Lag: So my PC is running normally without any lag spikes in Videos, Games, and everything UNTIL I open up World of Warcraft, then the lag spikes return. Would anyone have a clue about what causes this ?