Windows 10: CPU stuck at 0.79/1.79 Ghz with dedicated GPU and boot issue

Discus and support CPU stuck at 0.79/1.79 Ghz with dedicated GPU and boot issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good day, Dell Inspiron 5537, Intel i7-4500U, 12GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M200X, Windows 10 build 1803-17134.523 Today, I experienced the most peculiar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ArtyChas, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ArtyChas Win User

CPU stuck at 0.79/1.79 Ghz with dedicated GPU and boot issue

Good day,

Dell Inspiron 5537, Intel i7-4500U, 12GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M200X, Windows 10 build 1803-17134.523

Today, I experienced the most peculiar issue that I encountered so far. I was playing a video, using my dedicated GPU (AMD Radeon R9 M200X), and noticed frame drops and, at the same time, the CPU dropped its current (and maximum) speed to 0.79 GHz. No new drivers, programs, or updates have been installed that may have caused the issue, and last updates were installed 3 days ago (KB4480966/KB40979).

I attempted to fix the problem with a bold move, by restarting the laptop, and... well, it didn't boot. There was no three unsuccessful attempts to boot, it went straight to automatic repair. "Restart", "Continue to Windows 10", "Startup Troubleshooting", and "Startup Settings" were bringing me back to Automatic Repair - Diagnosing your PC - Troubleshooting menu. As I got sick of clean installations, I tried to restore point from last update (3 days ago), it initialized the restore, prepared for restore... then went straight back to Troubleshooting menu. At this point, however, "Continue to Windows 10" would successfully boot it up.

Figured that my BIOS is rotten, I upgraded it to latest Dell A11 BIOS and enabled Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS menu. However, now, if you boot up using the method above, it will still fail to boot, if restarted. Now, it throttles at 1.79 GHz, and upon testing, only if dedicated GPU is in use. Using AIDA64, I stressed CPU only, GPU only, CPU and GPU. As seen in figures below, first option shows maximum CPU capabilities, second - no stress on CPU yet 1.79 GHz throttle, third one - flat line in Task Manager. For the throttle to be removed, one can wait until GPU is not in use, kill the process that's using it, or disable/enable GPU device.

CPU stuck at 0.79/1.79 Ghz with dedicated GPU and boot issue [​IMG]CPU stuck at 0.79/1.79 Ghz with dedicated GPU and boot issue [​IMG]CPU stuck at 0.79/1.79 Ghz with dedicated GPU and boot issue [​IMG]

Few things to get straight:

1) Advanced Power Settings - maximum processing power at 100% for all;

2) Battery at High Performance;

3) Battery Saver is off (it's connected to AC, duh);

4) Issue persists on both AC and battery;

5) Connectors are fine, it's a sealed laptop;

6) IT'S NOT OVERHEATING;

7) IT'S NOT OVERCLOCKED BY MAGIC TOOLS;

8) I installed an update (KB4100347), but it still failed to boot up after, so I had to use a workaround (Upd. it actually did install update, which means that it doesn't really restore point, or restore fails half way through. Either way, it helps to boot up). At the moment, I am downloading a feature update to build 1809 [will update shortly];

9) Lastly, all the drivers are up-to-date, according to both Windows 10 Update and Dell Update, and no changes were made to cause the issue.

PS. Please don't ask me to Reset PC or Clean Install. I've suffered 4 Windows deaths in last 4 weeks and I'll go nuts if I have to re-install all the software again. However, please do let me know if it will work if I upgrade the build to Insider (don't wanna lose restore point workaround, as it's the only thing that helps to boot it up right now)

PPS. Please let me know if any tests / Event Viewer captions will help to locate the issue.

:)

ArtyChas, Jan 11, 2019
  2. 원민이 Win User

WINDOWS 10 updates stuck at 79% continually

My windows 10 updates are stuck at 79%.

I have gone back to a restore point, the downloading was cleared and now they are stuck at 79% again.

My present version: 10.0.15063 build: 15063

Thanks for any help

원민이, Jan 11, 2019
  3. toro8899 Win User
    Processor i5 4670 3.40ghz works at% 79

Thank you for responding but we are not understanding, we are talking about two different things. if you demand your processor to the maximum deveria mark performance in the use of% 100 and the speed of ghz that has its processor, in my case to demand
    the maximum does not exceed 79% and the speed of 2.69 ghz is 3.40 ghz no way or opening 24 programs and 36 web pages at the same time.

toro8899, Jan 11, 2019
  4. DFB40 Win User

CPU not running in full speed in Windows 10

Thank you for your reply. I had done all of those things prior to my posting. Here are a some things I have discovered while testing:

The processor is not just slow, it is pegged at .79 GHz - flat line. The base speed for this processor is 2.40 GHz. Upon boot I run the task manager as soon as I can and display the CPU performance. The the CPU performance is at 100% and about 2.79 GHz
    with little variation until the up time shows around 1 - 1 1/2 minutes, at which time the CPU drops precipitously to .79 GHz and never varies, even when I stress it. When I do a clean boot, the CPU behaves the way I would expect it to - varying between lows
    and highs as I do different tasks on the computer, and computer performance is dramatically improved. I am attempting to discover where the problem occurs by selectively enabling services before rebooting.

DFB40, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

1. CPU stuck at 0.79/1.79 Ghz with dedicated GPU and boot issue - Similar Threads - CPU stuck Ghz

2. AppModel-Runtime 79 criticals

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AppModel-Runtime 79 criticals: hello, an ordinary pc gamer here.i've recently been playing forza horizon 5 as of late to realise it crashed however it DID NOT give me an error message it just crashed. pressed alt then f4 to close forza and i could still hear the game audio so i switched off my pc and to...
  3. AppModel-Runtime 79 criticals

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AppModel-Runtime 79 criticals: hello, an ordinary pc gamer here.i've recently been playing forza horizon 5 as of late to realise it crashed however it DID NOT give me an error message it just crashed. pressed alt then f4 to close forza and i could still hear the game audio so i switched off my pc and to...
  4. AppModel-Runtime 79 criticals

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop charges to 79% and stops charging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop charges to 79% and stops charging: I've noticed that my battery has stopped charging at 79%. I generated a battery report for my laptop, but the report kept saying the maximum battery life is 79%. Later, I uninstalled the Microsft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI Complaint Control Method Battery to see if that...
  6. Charger stuck at 79%

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Charger stuck at 79%: my HP EliteBook charges, but no more than 79%. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/charger-stuck-at-79/a9b1daa5-1f1e-47f9-8e3c-93ddc5a5da06
  7. CPU speed stuck to .79 GHZ

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU speed stuck to .79 GHZ: So far I have tried everything possible to make the CPU go over .79 GHZ. The CPU that I have is an i5-9300H and has been working we for the past few months until today. Please help, I cannot get anything done....
  8. Battery only charging to 79% or 80%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery only charging to 79% or 80%: I had this problem in the past and it turned out you can set a battery saver mode which doesn't allow the battery to charge to 100%. I changed it then but I guess the computer updated or something and I can't find this setting anywhere. It doesn't seem to be under anything...
  9. Can't Import Passwords in Chrome 79

in Browsers and Email
    Can't Import Passwords in Chrome 79: So, Google is being stupid. I have tried everything I know to enable the Import Password option in Google Chrome 79, and the flag will NOT stay enabled. I'm just about ready to switch to Edge. How are we suppose to save passwords to a file if we can't import them? I do not...
  10. CPU at 0.79/1.79 Ghz with dedicated GPU and boot issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU at 0.79/1.79 Ghz with dedicated GPU and boot issue: Good day, Dell Inspiron 5537, Intel i7-4500U, 12GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M200X, Windows 10 build 1803-17134.523 Today, I experienced the most peculiar issue that I encountered so far. I was playing a video, using my dedicated GPU (AMD Radeon R9 M200X), and noticed frame...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cpu at 44% 0.79

2. cpu problem doesnt pass 44%

3. cpu only .79ghz task manager

4. cpu stuck at 1.80 ghz,
  5. cpu speed is locked 0.79 dell,
  6. windows 10 procesor stuck 0.79 ghz,
  7. cpu locked at .79 ghz,
  8. toshiba laptop processor maximum 0.79 ghz,
  9. cpu stuck at .79 ghz intel i7,
  10. dell 5537 gpu 0%,
  11. cpu stuck 0.79 ROG,