Windows 10: cpu stuck at half speed

Discus and support cpu stuck at half speed in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone. This problem has been around for a while. I currently have a MSI gaming laptop, with the Intel processor i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz. My problem is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kenzgf, Mar 19, 2020.

1. kenzgf Win User

cpu stuck at half speed

Hi everyone. This problem has been around for a while. I currently have a MSI gaming laptop, with the Intel processor i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz. My problem is that it is constantly locked at half speed, namely 1.4GHz, even during the xtu stress test when I have 100% CPU utilization. I also ran the xtu benchmark test and got the maximum processor frequency to be at 1.4GHz and the highest CPU temperature at 60°C. Is there anyway I can solve this problem and fix my maximum frequency to, say, 3.5GHz?

:)

kenzgf, Mar 19, 2020
  2. Atrahasis Win User

Cpu running half speed

While playing a game few hours ago I noticed my computer suddenly became incredibly slow. The windows task manager showed that the cpu was using half its capabilities. I have been playing this game since 4 years, with this same 4 years-old laptop, and it had never happened before. I have to mention I installed windows 10 few days ago, which also changed my graphic card's drivers. I suppose it is a feature preventing CPU overheat. It may be a new feature, changed parameters that enables it sooner than before, or dust accumulating past 4 years that activates it sooner than before as @Bokan's answer suggest.

The problem is that this feature does not get disabled when I quit the game, making the computer unusable for several hours. When I first posted this question I had to wait about 8 hours before it came back.. by itself. The only other way to get this speed back is to restart windows in any safe mode, but that is not very satisfying. I have checked battery and power parameters, they are not changed and changing them does not restore the cpu speed. I have checked the graphic card's parameters, same.

What is this feature ? How to disable it or change its parameters ?

NOTE : I have an intel CPU that has the SpeedStep technology. But the normal speed is not back after reboot (as I read it does when SpeedStep reduces it), I do not see any option to enable/disable it in the BIOS, neither on the GPU desktop UI. Last time the normal speed was restored while the computer was active (see comments).

EDIT : I just completed the first reboot of the second time this problem appears, and this time it disappeared ! This is madness.

This question has also been asked on answers.microsoft.com :

You can admire how microsoft does not care about giving the **** name of this feature to its unanimous customers, not even mentionning speedstep or battery / power / cpu parameters.

Also on other website, mentionning speedstep :

Here on SuperUser but does not solve my issue :

On 'Answer Tech', live Microsoft's technicians all answer the same epic crap (they all prefer blaming the manufacturer, asking the customer to return his computer (!!!!) than answering that they do not know). This one was particularly good :

cpu stuck at half speed iHb92.png

Atrahasis, Mar 19, 2020
  3. t_ski Win User
    CPU running at half speed...

I don't know what the stock settings are for that CPU. Is it in the CPU database here?

TechPowerUp

If it supports EIST (Enhanced Intel Speed-step Technology) it lowers the multiplier to reduce the overal CPU speed. Or the CPU bus speed has been set wrong in the BIOS.

t_ski, Mar 19, 2020
  4. cpu stuck at half speed

Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed

I also had a cpu running at half speed.

My laptop: HP ProBook 450 G2.

Complete reinstall of Windows, reset BIOS, new harddisk, ... Always the same result.

cpu stuck at half speed b19e8fab-d0c9-406b-92ca-4ee822a40ba8.png

SOLUTION:

Motherboard and CPU have been replaced (CPU fix on board). Now I have full speed.

cpu stuck at half speed 667e6732-6797-4bc9-a9f4-6c4339706e96.png

tullius2000, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

cpu stuck at half speed

1. cpu stuck at half speed - Similar Threads - cpu stuck half

2. CPU SPEED STUCKED AT 0.17GHz RANDOMLY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU SPEED STUCKED AT 0.17GHz RANDOMLY: My CPU speed get stuck at 0.17GHz randomly while gaming.it get stuck randomly while gaming only. And while lag CPU utilization is just 4% constantlySPECS :- CPU = i3-1115G4 @3.00GHzRAM = 8GB DDR4 1600MHzGPU = Intel UHD 3GBI tried window reset , in-place upgrade , power...
  3. CPU SPEED STUCKED AT 0.17GHz RANDOMLY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU SPEED STUCKED AT 0.17GHz RANDOMLY: My CPU speed get stuck at 0.17GHz randomly while gaming.it get stuck randomly while gaming only. And while lag CPU utilization is just 4% constantlySPECS :- CPU = i3-1115G4 @3.00GHzRAM = 8GB DDR4 1600MHzGPU = Intel UHD 3GBI tried window reset , in-place upgrade , power...
  4. CPU SPEED STUCKED AT 0.79GHz RANDOMLY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU SPEED STUCKED AT 0.79GHz RANDOMLY: My CPU speed get stuck at 0.79GHz randomly while gaming.it get stuck randomly while gaming only. And while lag CPU utilization is just 6% constantlySPECS :- CPU = i3-1115G4 @3.00GHzRAM = 8GB DDR4 1600MHzGPU = Intel UHD 3GBI tried window reset , in-place upgrade , power...
  5. CPU SPEED STUCKED AT 0.79GHz RANDOMLY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU SPEED STUCKED AT 0.79GHz RANDOMLY: My CPU speed get stuck at 0.79GHz randomly while gaming.it get stuck randomly while gaming only. And while lag CPU utilization is just 6% constantlySPECS :- CPU = i3-1115G4 @3.00GHzRAM = 8GB DDR4 1600MHzGPU = Intel UHD 3GBI tried window reset , in-place upgrade , power...
  6. CPU stuck at 0.39ghz speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU stuck at 0.39ghz speed: Hi,I'm facing cpu speed issues, after a few mins of usage it drops to 0.39ghz and stays like that. Tried windows update, bios update,Windows format, Amd Radeon drivers update. No solution found ..Taken it to service centre as well I was told thermal paste worn out so they...
  7. Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed

Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed: hello, I have the same identical issue to this Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed, where the only difference is that i had my battery swapped. the problem never happened. Additionally, safe mode goes to 1.80 ghz flat. things i tried: 1. restart 2. revert all...
  8. CPU Speed Stuck at 1.29Ghz

CPU Speed Stuck at 1.29Ghz: my CPU speed is stuck at 1.29Ghz its normal speed is 1.50 and sometimes gets higher but now its stuck at 1.29Ghz speed what shall i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-speed-stuck-at-129ghz/694a7ca9-5392-4868-b836-6187aad80e7d
  9. CPU speed stuck to .79 GHZ

CPU speed stuck to .79 GHZ: So far I have tried everything possible to make the CPU go over .79 GHZ. The CPU that I have is an i5-9300H and has been working we for the past few months until today. Please help, I cannot get anything done....
  10. Half speed RAM

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Half speed RAM: Helo, so I have a new laptop with 2x DDR4 2400MHz, but CPU-Z says that I have NB Frequency of 600MHz and DRAM Frequncy of 400MHz. Is this Ok ? This would make my RAM half speed. submitted by /u/krystofdzoba [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why processor stuck at half speed

2. windows 10 cpu half speed

3. windows 10 cpu running at half speed