Windows 10: CPU throttling not working properly, bad standby drain

Discus and support CPU throttling not working properly, bad standby drain in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just wanted to write this thread so other people can decide if it's worthy to switch to Windows 10 (on a tablet or laptop). I guess it's fine for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mkdr, Jul 19, 2015.

1. mkdr Win User

CPU throttling not working properly, bad standby drain

Just wanted to write this thread so other people can decide if it's worthy to switch to Windows 10 (on a tablet or laptop). I guess it's fine for a desktop and it will run really nicely, however I dont upgrade on a tablet or mobile device, until maybe a few months into the future.

There seems to be a bug with power-stepping or throttling, maybe connected with Intel Turbo Boost. Ive noticed this already 7 months ago, when I put an insider build on my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet, and Ive reported it back then a few times.

Three days ago I tested 10240 build, clean install of course, which will be RTM, again on my Venue, and the bug is still present.

The problem is simple: Windows 10 doesnt switch to the CPUs lowest power state, and always idles between 1.3 and 1.8GHz (for my tablets CPU which is a Atom BayTrail). It never goes down to 0.5 or 0.8GHz even if there's 95-99% idle.

Ive monitored this via task manager but also CPUz.

The 2nd issue is the power drain in connected standby mode, which I also monitored over 48h. The result was a drain of about 1.1mW/h, which is bad and way outside the norm, Microsoft gave for connected standby, which should be at about 0.3mW/h.

You can google this and there are other reported by poeple way back to 9 months who reported this too, but oh well, it wasnt fixed until now it seemed or maybe not for all processors/models.

So Ive switched back to Windows 8.1, and did the same power testings, resulting in a drain of 0.35mW/h over 12h, which is fine.

I guess it's a driver issue maybe with Intel power policy drivers, or even something with Windows 10 handles things. I hope this will get fixed soon, otherwise I wont upgrade with my tablets or laptops to Windows 10.

:)

2. mkxy Win User

Lower CPU power throttling states not working correctly for Intel Atom BayTrail tablets

First thing, I am really annoyed by this, because I have reported the bug several times over the past 0.8 years, yes, years, through the insider tools. First I noticed this bug when I installed insider build 9xxx on my Dell Venue 8 Pro like 7 months ago.
    It was easily reproducible:

1.) Let Windows idle

2.) Open TaskManager (or for example CPUz) and monitor CPU throttling

The bug is simple: Under Windows 10, the throttling seem to be broken for at least an Intel Atom BayTrail (3700 series). The CPU always stays around 1.3-1.7GHz @ 1-3% CPU load. The same idle behavior under Windows 8.1 results in the processor correctly using
    it lowest energy states between 0.5-0.8GHz. This results in a way noticeable faster battery drain.

2nd bug, mostly related: The battery drain in connected standby is about 3 times higher (~1.1mW/h), compared to Windows 8.1 (~0.33mW/h). The normal drain, by Microsoft itself, is 0.3mW/h for a device supporting connected standby mode.

Now that Windows 10, maybe... may be, that Microsoft devs will look into this, because it has huge impact on using a mobile device.

I have tested it on my Ultrabook and my Desktop too by now, and there it seems to work normally, and the CPU goes correctly to its lowest throttling state in a low idle environment.

3. Battery drain since the new firmware

One of the most common reasons for N900 high battery drain while sitting in standby is a known bug that causes pluseaudio not to unload properly sometimes after a phone call is ended. To see if that's the problem, just open a terminal type 'top' and hit
    enter. If pulseadio is listed at or near the top of the active services (on the right) and is consistently using 1-2% of CPU, the pulseaudio bug is the problem with battery drain. Or you may see something else is draining the battery, which is another conversation.

My N900 usually idles at about 1-3% total CPU load, it's normal to fluctuate some. I've never let it sit unused long, but at that rate it can sit overnite and still have a full battery in the morning. Consistently higher CPU usage than that will reduce
    standby time from somewhat to drastically depending on the total CPU load.

To correct the pluseaudio bug you have 2 choices:

1. Wait for the 1.2 update, due any day now. It will include a bugfix for this.

2. As root, type 'killall pulseaudio'. The service will auto-restart and you should be good to go.

If you don't know what #2 means, wait for the update.

crashdamage, Jul 19, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Fafhrd, Jul 19, 2015
Thema:

1. CPU throttling not working properly, bad standby drain - Similar Threads - CPU throttling working

2. Is 94 Degree Celsius bad for a cpu without any throttling or underperformance by the cpu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is 94 Degree Celsius bad for a cpu without any throttling or underperformance by the cpu?: Hello Staff,I currently own a Dell G15 5510 gaming laptop with the following specs:16 GB DDR4 Memory Dual-ChannelIntel Core i5 10200H @ 2.4GHz Base clock Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Dedicated Intel UHD Graphics Integrated So for the past year or so I've been noticing high CPU...
  3. Is 94 Degree Celsius bad for a cpu without any throttling or underperformance by the cpu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is 94 Degree Celsius bad for a cpu without any throttling or underperformance by the cpu?: Hello Staff,I currently own a Dell G15 5510 gaming laptop with the following specs:16 GB DDR4 Memory Dual-ChannelIntel Core i5 10200H @ 2.4GHz Base clock Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Dedicated Intel UHD Graphics Integrated So for the past year or so I've been noticing high CPU...
  4. cpu throttling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cpu throttling: when I'm at game or some thing that puts pressure on the CPU my CPU clock comes down and my laptop crashes for a few second as long as I continue that work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-throttling/d549268b-acac-4ac1-9d28-07109fe50d60
  5. cpu throttling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cpu throttling: when I'm at game or some thing that puts pressure on the CPU my CPU clock comes down and my laptop crashes for a few second as long as I continue that work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-throttling/d549268b-acac-4ac1-9d28-07109fe50d60
  6. CPU throttling

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU throttling: I recently purchased a used HP Stream 14-ax010wm and did a clean win10 install. The issue is that the processor only runs at a maximum 30% .48ghz. When I start in safe mode it's functioning how it's supposed to. I've tried setting minimum cpu usage, disabled low power...
  7. Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle Controller Prevents Screensaver/Standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle Controller Prevents Screensaver/Standby: I use a Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle Controller & Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS joystick to play DCS World flight sim. As long as I have the Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle Controller connected to a USB port (either USB2.0 or USB3.2gen1) my screensaver will not initialise and my...
  8. Prevent Cpu throttle on Battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Prevent Cpu throttle on Battery: Hello, I recently upgraded my Laptop by adding an SSD with windows 10 pro. Now I noticed the computer throttles the cpu frequency whenever I'm on battery even on high performance profile. (In task manager I can see cpu frequency instantly dropping from 2.3-2.5 to 1.2 GHz as...
  9. Excessive standby drain?

Excessive standby drain?: My new HP Spectre x360 (i7-7500U / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD / Windows 10 Home x64) seems to lose a bit much in terms of battery life. Out of the box, it's set to stay in standby mode for 3 hours before hibernating. I have since changed it to just 60 minutes of standby before...
  10. SuperFetch & Standby Memory Not Working Properly?

SuperFetch & Standby Memory Not Working Properly?: So there's a task called Superfetch in Windows that's supposedly should improve performance because it preloads applications in RAM. I read an article that games installed on a PC with 4GB or less memory may suffer from this due to its excessive load in/out behavior. My issue...