Windows 10: CPU throttling

Discus and support CPU throttling in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently purchased a used HP Stream 14-ax010wm and did a clean win10 install. The issue is that the processor only runs at a maximum 30% .48ghz. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by xprogenx, Jan 29, 2021.

1. xprogenx Win User

CPU throttling

I recently purchased a used HP Stream 14-ax010wm and did a clean win10 install. The issue is that the processor only runs at a maximum 30% .48ghz. When I start in safe mode it's functioning how it's supposed to. I've tried setting minimum cpu usage, disabled low power throttling, and clean-booted with non-microsoft processes disabled to no avail. Any other ideas?

:)

xprogenx, Jan 29, 2021
  2. mhp0011 Win User

Win10 CPU Throttling

Win10 appears to throttle the CPU down when it gets too hot. This is probably a good thing (I figure it prevents the CPU from melting down). It seems, though, that Win10 doesn't seem to recognize when the CPU has cooled back down, so the CPU remains in
    a throttled-down mode indefinitely. I haven't figured out a way to reliably get Win10 to reset the throttling. As a work around, I have downloaded ThrottleStop which allows me to override Win10's behavior. Of course, I now have to manually watch the temperature
    to ensure that the CPU doesn't overhead, but it's better than having an unusable CPU. Is anyone aware of a solution to reset Win10 throttling so that I don't have to use a third-party product to do it? Better yet, has Microsoft acknowledged the issue and
    provided any guidance on when this issue might be corrected?

In case it matters, I am using a Dell Laptop E6410 with an Intel Core i7 M 640 CPU.

mhp0011, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Helmut Win User
    Prevent Cpu throttle on Battery

Setting the CPU minimum to something higher will not make any difference to performance, only increases power consumption/heat when the CPU does not have to work hard.
    The title of the thread is wrong to call it throttling. The CPU is designed to increase up to the turbo max when demands are made on the CPU.

" I'm assuming setting it at 100% will make the CPU run at 2.8 GHz constantly"
    Not on my Laptop.
    The nominal clock is 2.5 GHz, however the turbo range or speed stepping ranges from 800 MHz to 3.1 GHz.
    On the so-called "Best performance" setting the CPU has a 2.5 GHz idle frequency/min, but it still turbos up to 3.1 GHz when required.
    The next setting down "Better performance" has the full stepping range from 800 MHz to 3.1 GHz.
    On testing this with something taxing the CPU, "Better performance" setting is just as good as "Best" but with less power consumption between tasks.

The tinkering with settings by modding the Registry is pointless.

The Power Plans indicated are no more on the latest iteration of Windows 10 anyway.

"I may set it at 25% instead of 5% that it's defaulted to while plugged in. "

I doubt if that will do anything, it depends on the stepping range of the CPU clock allowed for your particular CPU. as you can see with mine it won't make a hoot of a difference. If it is set to 5% nothing happens it is still 800 MHz minimum(26%).

Helmut, Jan 29, 2021
  4. mbass Win User

CPU throttling

Prevent Cpu throttle on Battery

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Laptop by adding an SSD with windows 10 pro.

Now I noticed the computer throttles the cpu frequency whenever I'm on battery even on high performance profile.
    (In task manager I can see cpu frequency instantly dropping from 2.3-2.5 to 1.2 GHz as soone as I unplug the AC adapter).

The issue is not bios related and It does not happen on Ubuntu nor window 7( I mesured and the cpu frequency does not change when I unplug).

I tried the following:
    - High performance profile.
    - increased "minimum processor state" in power plan settings to 60% (https://i2.wp.com/www.techconsumergu...ng?w=452&ssl=1)
    - Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Throttling Settings and I Enabled the "turn off power throttling"

Still windows 10 throttles whenever I'm on battery.

Can someone suggest a solution for this?

Thanks in advance

mbass, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

CPU throttling

1. CPU throttling - Similar Threads - CPU throttling

2. Is 94 Degree Celsius bad for a cpu without any throttling or underperformance by the cpu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is 94 Degree Celsius bad for a cpu without any throttling or underperformance by the cpu?: Hello Staff,I currently own a Dell G15 5510 gaming laptop with the following specs:16 GB DDR4 Memory Dual-ChannelIntel Core i5 10200H @ 2.4GHz Base clock Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Dedicated Intel UHD Graphics Integrated So for the past year or so I've been noticing high CPU...
  3. Is 94 Degree Celsius bad for a cpu without any throttling or underperformance by the cpu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is 94 Degree Celsius bad for a cpu without any throttling or underperformance by the cpu?: Hello Staff,I currently own a Dell G15 5510 gaming laptop with the following specs:16 GB DDR4 Memory Dual-ChannelIntel Core i5 10200H @ 2.4GHz Base clock Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Dedicated Intel UHD Graphics Integrated So for the past year or so I've been noticing high CPU...
  4. Windows 10 update stopped all but 1 of my fans working and set/throttled the cpu fan,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update stopped all but 1 of my fans working and set/throttled the cpu fan,...: It's a ryzen 5600 CPU nothing old or unsupported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-stopped-all-but-1-of-my-fans/f081c489-98b2-4c16-895b-6247554ae886
  5. Windows 10 update stopped all but 1 of my fans working and set/throttled the cpu fan,...

Windows 10 update stopped all but 1 of my fans working and set/throttled the cpu fan,...: It's a ryzen 5600 CPU nothing old or unsupported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-stopped-all-but-1-of-my-fans/f081c489-98b2-4c16-895b-6247554ae886
  6. Windows 10 update stopped all but 1 of my fans working and set/throttled the cpu fan,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. CPU throttling after plugging in charger cable windows laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU throttling after plugging in charger cable windows laptop.: HI, my cpu is supposed to run at 2.90 ghz but when I plug the charger in the fan stops and it drops down to 1.59ghz impacting performance.My power plan is high performance and runs fine on battery power.No heating issue, original OEM chargerMy laptop is a HP notebook 15.6...
  8. CPU throttling after plugging in charger cable windows laptop.

CPU throttling after plugging in charger cable windows laptop.: HI, my cpu is supposed to run at 2.90 ghz but when I plug the charger in the fan stops and it drops down to 1.59ghz impacting performance.My power plan is high performance and runs fine on battery power.No heating issue, original OEM chargerMy laptop is a HP notebook 15.6...
  9. CPU throttling after plugging in charger cable windows laptop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Windows 10 update issue causing CPU throttle

Windows 10 update issue causing CPU throttle: I've had an issue with my CPU being throttled since the Windows update around mid January.My PC is pretty new, built it mid December.Everything worked fine until I updated my Windows. I noticed my CPU clock was being capped at 0.37ghz. After turning off thermal throttling in...