Windows 10: CPU usage limited to 25% when plugged in (must unplug for PC to be usable!)

Discus and support CPU usage limited to 25% when plugged in (must unplug for PC to be usable!) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For a few days now I've noticed that my PC (Microsoft Surface Go) was sometimes very very slow and sometimes fine... Today it was so absurdly slow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LFLFM, Jun 18, 2019.

1. LFLFM Win User

CPU usage limited to 25% when plugged in (must unplug for PC to be usable!)

For a few days now I've noticed that my PC (Microsoft Surface Go) was sometimes very very slow and sometimes fine...

Today it was so absurdly slow that I actually investigated and my CPU usage was limited to 25%...!?? (each core/thread can only do 25%).

What's worse is... it only happens when plugged in! On battery I can get the full power of all 4 threads....

I only have a balanced power plan which gives me no performance options (only sleep timers, etc) and I tried to create a custom power plan, but it's just the exact same options available.

I tried to change the performance via single-click on battery icon which made it possible for me to come and write this here (still extremely slow and threads are still capped at 25% but somehow it's actually running less grind-to-a-halt slow).

Basically, I'm low on battery, but if I want to get things done, I have to unplug, quickly click/type and interact what I need and then plug it in while I'm reading or something... I found a few people posting on some forums similar problems, but didn't find any solution CPU usage limited to 25% when plugged in (must unplug for PC to be usable!) :(

Thanks!

:)

LFLFM, Jun 18, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

How to limit cpu utilisation?

Hi 2AI

Can you please explain this in more detail . . .

Are you trying to limit your overall CPU usage to below 25% or set that limit for any single application on your PC?

May I also ask why you want to limit CPU usage by an application and are those application(s) you want to limit just standard applications, or very specific applications?

DaveM121, Jun 18, 2019
  3. Cabadaj Win User
    Limiting CPU usage.

Hello world,

I currently updated my windows 10 version 1803, the last major update which asked you all the options of location and such again after the install, on my laptop and after that limiting my CPU usage in advanced power management does not seem to work. Before
    the update when I limited CPU usage to 50% in my task manager it never exceeded 50%. Now I try to limit the usage to 50% but still, the processes (games mainly) are able to increase the CPU usage to 100%. Tried different power options, like the default, was
    Dell power Manager option, tried it with balanced, but did not work. Is there a fix or do I have to revert the update?

Thank you for your time have a great day.

Cabadaj, Jun 18, 2019
  4. Ethan Z. Win User

CPU Usage limited to 22%?

So when I use my computer and I do heavy tasks like video editing, my CPU hits 100% usage and gets respectable temps of around 60-75C while rendering (this is Balanced Performance Mode, by the way).
    However, the moment I plug in my laptop, my CPU usage in Task Manager will never exceed 22% (0.60GHz) and my temps drop down to 50-60 (and this is still balanced performance mode, by the way). And the moment, I unplug it, my CPU usage hits 100% and my temps
    rise to 60-75C. Could this have something to be with the battery? By the way, I don't know if this helps, but I found it weird, my laptop has a 97W battery and my laptop charger is only rated at 60W. Could that be the problem? (I don't think this is thermal
    throttling either)

Ethan Z., Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

1. CPU usage limited to 25% when plugged in (must unplug for PC to be usable!) - Similar Threads - CPU usage limited

2. RAM usage limited to 3.5 Go when 7.88 is usable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAM usage limited to 3.5 Go when 7.88 is usable: Hi,I have this issue: when I'm looking in my task manager and my system info I see that I have 8 Go of RAM and 7.88Go usable but when I'm looking in the processus tab and do the maths I find that the system only use 3.5Go. I have for exemple 860 Mo used in memory when I...
  3. RAM usage limited to 3.5 Go when 7.88 is usable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAM usage limited to 3.5 Go when 7.88 is usable: Hi,I have this issue: when I'm looking in my task manager and my system info I see that I have 8 Go of RAM and 7.88Go usable but when I'm looking in the processus tab and do the maths I find that the system only use 3.5Go. I have for exemple 860 Mo used in memory when I...
  4. RAM usage limited to 3.5 Go when 7.88 is usable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. CPU usage stuck at 25% max when playing certain games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU usage stuck at 25% max when playing certain games: Usually everything runs smooth 100%, BUT the second I launch certain games Cyberpunk, COD BO Cold War the voltage drops to 0.688 and stays there exactly the core speed drops to 0.786 ghz, and the total usage will not pass 25%. No temperature issues, under 65°.This causes the...
  6. Limited RAM Usable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Limited RAM Usable: Hi! This is my very first question on Microsoft Community. I am having a RAM issue on my laptop, and cannot find a solution. I have 3 gigabytes of RAM installed, but the System tab in Settings says: 3.00 GB installed 2.47 GB usable Does anyone know how to fix this? I've...
  7. CPU usage is limited.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU usage is limited.: [ATTACH] Sometimes when i disconnect from the wifi and connect via ethernet the cpu is limited to 35%, as you can see in the image, and the computer slows down, and i have to reboot. Task manager only reaches 35% and rainmeter skin 100% When normally it's almost the same...
  8. CPU Usage limited to 22%?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU Usage limited to 22%?: So when I use my computer and I do heavy tasks like video editing, my CPU hits 100% usage and gets respectable temps of around 60-75C while rendering (this is Balanced Performance Mode, by the way). However, the moment I plug in my laptop, my CPU usage in Task Manager will...
  9. CPU usage when PC is idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU usage when PC is idle: This is not an issue but more a curiosity. I have the old Windows cup / ram monitor running as a gadget on Windows 10. When the PC is idle for a few minutes I notice the cup usage always spikes to around 10-13% and stays around that mark. As soon as I touch mouse and move it...
  10. NT Kernel consistenty taking 25% of CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NT Kernel consistenty taking 25% of CPU Usage: For about 3 weeks I have noticed that the system process in windows 10 is taking 30% of my cpu. I have searched the web and found various ideas for addressing the problem but my techncal skills are a little rusty. I have attached a screenshot from windows performance analyser...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my laptop drops to 0.60ghz everytime I start a gqme

2. .y cup always dropping to 0.60ghz and gets really slow

3. cpu utilization limited to 25%

4. windows 10 cpu 30% when plugged in,
  5. cpu use 25% only fix,
  6. cpu limited to 25% on PC