Windows 10: Cpu usage spikes on idle ? Is that normal

Discus and support Cpu usage spikes on idle ? Is that normal in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jsschrist [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/emcky9/cpu_usage_spikes_on_idle_is_that_normal/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jsschrist, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Cpu usage spikes on idle ? Is that normal

/u/jsschrist, Jan 9, 2020

2. Explorer constantly spiking CPU usage for Win 10

Hi. Thank you for your answer. I tried all your suggestions, but nothing helped.

Clean bot seems helped at first but no after some hours spikes came back and now spiking more often with every hour of PC working.

Same happened also without clean boot.

Any other suggestions what to try ?

Just to let you know that I worked with Win 7 before with even more programs installed than now and I did not switched off my PC for weeks and CPU usage was lower in general not to talk about any spikes in CPU, newer noticed anything like that...

Thanks

DanielRamirezz, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Cpu usage spikes

Hello ! My PC specs are the following:

- AMD Ryzen 1600x CPU

- Nvidia Gtx 1060 6gb GPU

- 8 GB DDR4 RAM ( 2400 MHz)

- Asus B350 Prime Plus Motherboard

Sometimes I get those weird spikes ( they come and go ) lasting for 1-2 seconds of 100% CPU utilization. In idle state the CPU utilization stays between 5-10% ( up to 20% if im browsing the internet and having programs like Steam, Discord etc running in
    background), but when the spike comes I can see how the pc freezes for 1 second ( typical lag freeze) and how the cpu utilization rizes to 100% CPU then jumps back down to under 20%. I have waited with taskmanager such a spike and discovered that when it happens,
    System NT Kernel & System is the one process that its sudently eating up all the CPU resources.

I tried updating all the drivers and im still having the problem. Here is a Windows Performance Record

link
    where I left the pc running for 45 minutes and I saw atleast 1 spike happening in those 45 minutes ( I kept going away from the computer and coming back).

CatalinIancu, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Cpu usage spikes on idle ? Is that normal

How fix 4-times-higher CPU usage at idle?

Progress!

To: Ten Seconds; simrick; RoadBlaster

Thank you all again. I'm making Progress now! I didn't want you guys to think I'd abandoned and discarded all the work you've done on my problem. Here's where I am and some questions. I should have more info in another day.

simrick: thanks especially for your link to a "clean boot" write-up in the Forum . I'm now working on what I believe is the right step in this write-up, step 11.

The progress is that my clean boot was OK, with only 1% CPU usage at idle. So I feel a lot better I' can fix my 40% CPU usage at idle by the process of elimination of good services and good startup programs, so I find the bad ones.

But I'm still working to find out if there are problems in my screen shots of the list of all non-Microsoft services. I'm suspicious because I see a many exact duplicate service names, plus an believable number of these services running.

Could someone answer these 3) questions?:

1) Am I correct that stopping any of the remaining (non-Microsoft) services will Not shut down my PC during clean boot reboots (since all the Microsoft services are running)? But, for example, are things like Chron Service (by Fork, Ltd.) or Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service (by Intel(R) Corporation) exceptions that I need to leave alone?

2) So would posting a list of all non-Microsoft services running help me pick ones to test first (and/or help me to more quickly find the problem service(s) running than just using the write-up's half-group process of elimination?)?

3) Should I expect that only 1 of these services will show the 30% jump in CPU usage at idle of my PC vs the 10% CPU usage at idle of our normal PCs? (My PC CPU usage at idle is 40% MINUS our normal PCs CPU usage at idle of 10% EQUALS 30% jump) Or could it be multiple services I need to gauge?

Thanks once more. I'll post again this weekend.

FuturePerfect, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

Cpu usage spikes on idle ? Is that normal

1. Cpu usage spikes on idle ? Is that normal - Similar Threads - Cpu usage spikes

2. Is it normal for SysMain to randomly spike up to 20% CPU usage?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it normal for SysMain to randomly spike up to 20% CPU usage?: Every so often, SysMain's CPU usage spikes up to usually between 10% and 20%. I only just caught wind of this and I'm not too sure if this should be happening. I noticed it happens a lot when I'm playing games like Minecraft Java Edition, enclosed is a screenshot.I have heard...
  3. Windows Explorer CPU Usage Spike

Windows Explorer CPU Usage Spike: So I've had this issue for the past few months where every so often, windows will appear to freeze up, then return to normal after 5-10 seconds. If I'm typing when this happens, windows will eventually keep up with what I'm typing, meaning this is some kind of severe input...
  4. Audiodg.exe Spikes Cpu Usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audiodg.exe Spikes Cpu Usage: Every 5 minutes or so audiodg.exe spikes my cpu usage to about 50% and any audio im playing cuts out and then comes back a second or 2 later. The video is completely fine and it's not a problem with my USB Headset. audiodg.exe stays at low cpu usage when it's not spiking....
  5. Spikes in CPU usage

Spikes in CPU usage: Hi, In my current version of windows, I can see random spikes in CPU usage. This happens even when the device is not being used. I can see CPU % on my Rainmeter skin go from 1% to 17%. Any fixes? I have an ASUS S550CM Intel i5 1.7 GHz 8 GB RAM Nvidia GT 635M...
  6. Is having high CPU usage and spiking down CPU usage as soon as opening task manager normal?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is having high CPU usage and spiking down CPU usage as soon as opening task manager normal?: I have a situation occuring in my laptop Acer Nitro 7 AN715-51-54U3 wherein everytime I open task manager and my CPU usage is very high ranging 60%, 70%, and even reaching 100%. After a few seconds, my CPU usage lessens to 30%, 10% and below. This high CPU usage only occurs...
  7. 80% cpu usage idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    80% cpu usage idle: Title... over an hour of wmi provided host taking 30% anti malware taking 30% and other windows processes taking 20. Causing pc to thermal throttle to 83 celicus this is after the windows 10 June 9th update. submitted by /u/SmallPeensUNITE [link] [comments]...
  8. 100% CPU usage spike

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% CPU usage spike: Hi my computer was working fine last night no issues then this morning I power on and suddenly it stuck at 100% CPU usage and it's all windows processes that seem to be occuping the usage. I have done a reset and removed everything and still same issue I don't think there was...
  9. Enigma_0.76 Spiking CPU on idle windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Enigma_0.76 Spiking CPU on idle windows 10: Hello, Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. I have a windows 10 desktop that I am seeing close to mac cpu usage on idle. There are 6 instances of Enigma_0.76 showing up. Please see screenshot. Anything I can do to fix this? 57835
  10. High CPU Usage at Idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage at Idle: Hey guys, recently my W10 PC seems to be using a fair bit of CPU. I noticed this because my Battlefield 1 fps appeared to have dropped. First thing I did was roll back my nvidia drivers to the previous version, but then I noticed my cpu usage. I seem to be using 35-45% cpu...