Windows 10: CPU usage spikes when moving mouse

Discus and support CPU usage spikes when moving mouse in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; specs: Cpu: i7-7700 Graphics card: gtx 1060 6 GB 16 GB DDR4 ram Motherboard: ASUS B250F gaming I just encountered this problem today but I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DanielLee1893, Jul 13, 2018.

1. CPU usage spikes when moving mouse

specs:

Cpu: i7-7700

Graphics card: gtx 1060 6 GB

16 GB DDR4 ram

Motherboard: ASUS B250F gaming

I just encountered this problem today but I cannot find any useful resolve method online for this.

When I open any application and move my mouse within it, its CPU usage will rise till 30-40% (idle: 9-15 %).

But when I closed all applications and move my mouse, the CPU usage will still rise to the same level but the app responsible for that is windows explorer.

I ran Norton full system scan but it did not find anything suspicious.

In games, the frame rate will drop below 10 when I move the mouse and cannot even hold the fps I originally had yesterday (around 165 in fortnite) when the mouse idle

I also restored my backup files from last week and reinstalled the mouse drivers and it still did not work.

Is there any way to fix this, I would really appreciate it

:)

DanielLee1893, Jul 13, 2018

2. High cpu usage - CPU Spikes when moving mouse...

Hi everyone - I've built my own custom pc, it has worked wonders for about 2 years now.

I've rebuilt some of the pc because of upgrades, so my current specifications is as follows...

I7-7700k (I JUST replaced this 2 hours ago more on this down below)

Asus strix 1070 oc

2x 2400MHz 8GB ram Corsair Vengeance

Corsair AX 860 PSU

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard.

I have had some problems with my old PCU (I5-6600K) where it had high cpu usage, literally spiking from 10-15% idle to 60-70% just by hovering over icons on the desktop. Also running a steady 100% whenever
    I used any programs.

Did a bunch of testing to figure out what was wrong with it, but gave up in the end after about 8-10 hours of work on it. Decided to buy a new CPU to see if that helped (i already wanted a new one so i thought
    why not...)

The problem that is happening was not persistent after I put the new cpu in today. But after about 2 hours of run on the pc it began having troubles again. It first began while playing world of warcraft. The
    FPS was lowered even though both cpu and gpu was running on about 50-80% power. Whenever i would move the mouse my game would just lag out and if i kept moving it continuously it would completely stop showing frames and just freeze until i stopped moving it
    again.

After that i noticed that whenever i moved my mouse on the icons on the desktop or move my mouse around on google chrome it begins spiking up again like last time. Also it uses a lot of CPU power for small
    jobs which it really shouldn't. Like having discord, 5 pages of chrome and steam open it can use around 30-40% on a i7-7700k??

I know you like when people try to do it themselves first. And I am not a 'noob' at troubleshooting and googling my way through problems, but this one is a tough nut to crack.

Problem: High cpu usage overall and high cpu spikes whenever i move the mouse. Literally can't play games because whenever i have to move the mouse it begins to do lagspikes.

What i've tried so far:

• Reinstalled windows 10 3 times and updated all drivers afterwards.

• Wiped the entire SSD with the windows 10 and the games on twice.

• Reapplied thermal paste and even replaced the cpu to a newer and stronger edition

• uninstalled various drivers from the device manager and reinstalling them.

• Fiddling around in safe mode without much knowledge of what to look for.

• benchmarked the cpu to see if it was lacking behind (it wasn't)

• Done a malware system scan through malware bytes

• Done a ccleaner scan

• done a antivirus scan through avira.
    I am out of ideas and i cant seem to find any help on google and i really hope any of you guys are able and willing to help me with this pesky issue... It's not fun to have a 'strong' computer if it can't even
    handle browsing or simple games...

madshøiberg, Jul 13, 2018
  3. CPU spikes on foreground programs when moving mouse

Hello again and sorry for the late response.

As I've written in my first post, the issue is still present in safe mode. The only difference in safe mode is that
    Windows Explorer shares the CPU spike with Client Server Runtime Process and also the spike is not that big (8-9% both), which is funny because the same thing happens after
    I uninstall Catalyst Control Center and drivers. (check first post)

Regarding the clean boot, I've done that step and
    the issue is still present.

I've run SFC, DISM you name it. No problems found. I would remind you I've had the problem on Windows 8.1 also.

Later edit: I've discovered something interesting. If for example I'm on desktop and open a context menu and move the mouse fast there is no CPU spike for
    explorer.exe. The same thing happens for Chrome and the other foreground programs. I hope this helps.

JohnKenaro, Jul 13, 2018
  4. reflex224 Win User

CPU usage spikes when moving mouse

CPU spikes on foreground programs when moving mouse

I am getting the exact same problem as You, did you get it working at all?

CPU spiking to 15-30% above normal, youtube videos stuttering, if i move my mouse in games the framerate drops from 120+ to 15fps, mouse gets choppy and i can't aim properly in the few games that the fps doesn't drop so much

In some games without even moving the mouse it's gone from an average of 120+ to 10fps and if i move my mouse or click the game freezes completely.

PC Specs are:

CPU: Intel I7 7700K @ 4.20Ghz(I've noticed this one is clocking at 4.50GHz, Even though i haven't overclocked)

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H110i 280mm Liquid cooler

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB

SSD: Samsung 850EVO 1TB

Monitor: Acer XB280HK 28" 4K G-Sync Gaming Monitor

Fans: 5x Corsair High Airflow 140mm

PSU: Corsair RM750i 750W Modular Power Supply

GPU:Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080TI Founders Edition.

I have tried every single fix listed across over a dozen websites and none of them have changed a thing.

reflex224, Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

CPU usage spikes when moving mouse

1. CPU usage spikes when moving mouse - Similar Threads - CPU usage spikes

2. "System" process CPU usage and power usage spikes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "System" process CPU usage and power usage spikes: Hello, I have a Asus ROG Strix laptop Ryzen 9 5900HX, RTX 3070, 16GB RAMand recently I noticed an issue that whenever the laptop is left on idle basically I'm not doing anything, after few minutes, the "System" process CPU usage suddenly jumps up from around 1% to close to...
  3. Windows Explorer CPU Usage Spike

Windows Explorer CPU Usage Spike: So I've had this issue for the past few months where every so often, windows will appear to freeze up, then return to normal after 5-10 seconds. If I'm typing when this happens, windows will eventually keep up with what I'm typing, meaning this is some kind of severe input...
  4. CPU spikes on foreground programs when moving mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU spikes on foreground programs when moving mouse: Hello! when i move my mouse,(when idle my cpu is at 1%) the cpu goes up to 50%. When i have google opened and move my mouse google uses a lot of cpu and if i close it and open another app and move my mouse that app uses high cpu. I have tried: -scanning for malware -i tried...
  5. Huge lag spikes and CPU/GPU hits when moving my mouse.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Huge lag spikes and CPU/GPU hits when moving my mouse.: Hey guys, I built my pc around 5 months ago and I've been struggling with this problem the entire time. I have a relatively good PC, my graphics card isn't the best but my processor is pretty good. I'll put in the necessary specs here: CPU: Intel i7-9700K @3.60 GHz GPU:...
  6. Audiodg.exe Spikes Cpu Usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audiodg.exe Spikes Cpu Usage: Every 5 minutes or so audiodg.exe spikes my cpu usage to about 50% and any audio im playing cuts out and then comes back a second or 2 later. The video is completely fine and it's not a problem with my USB Headset. audiodg.exe stays at low cpu usage when it's not spiking....
  7. Spikes in CPU usage

Spikes in CPU usage: Hi, In my current version of windows, I can see random spikes in CPU usage. This happens even when the device is not being used. I can see CPU % on my Rainmeter skin go from 1% to 17%. Any fixes? I have an ASUS S550CM Intel i5 1.7 GHz 8 GB RAM Nvidia GT 635M...
  8. 100% CPU usage spike

100% CPU usage spike: Hi my computer was working fine last night no issues then this morning I power on and suddenly it stuck at 100% CPU usage and it's all windows processes that seem to be occuping the usage. I have done a reset and removed everything and still same issue I don't think there was...
  9. Cpu usage spikes on idle ? Is that normal

Cpu usage spikes on idle ? Is that normal: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jsschrist [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/emcky9/cpu_usage_spikes_on_idle_is_that_normal/
  10. High CPU usage when moving my mouse.

High CPU usage when moving my mouse.: Basically, whenever I move my mouse in a window or program, the cpu usage of that program spikes significantly. I've also noticed that videos stutter a lot whenever i move my cursor as well. One thing I have noticed is that while using the touchpad does increase the cpu usage...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cpu spikes when moving mouse

2. windows 10 mouse movement cpu usage

3. cpu spikes when using wireless mouse windows 10

4. mouse movement windows 10 cpu spikes,
  5. cpu usage spikes when moving mouse,
  6. mouse movement in task manager window spikes cpu,
  7. when i move my mouse my cpu spikes,
  8. mouse cpu spike,
  9. cpu spike when i use mouse,
  10. cpu usage spikes when moving windows,
  11. cpu spike when cursor over applications,