Windows 10: CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down

Discus and support CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have no idea how this came about, probably cause of Window updates, though I reinstalled windows and it didn't fix that. I tried doing power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DampPotato, Jun 12, 2020.

1. CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down

I have no idea how this came about, probably cause of Window updates, though I reinstalled windows and it didn't fix that.

I tried doing power options, physically cleaning CPU and reapplying thermal paste. So far, nothing is working and the

following problems that come with this are:

Sudden freeze in programs and crash/non-responsive. I can still click around but nothing is interactable.

Have to physically press the restart button as the "Start" menu is not interactable. If I manage to press restart from Start Menu,

It stays on a "Restarting...." loop forever and have to physically press the off button.

I am able to use chrome at its minimum potential but if I want to do something intensive on chrome or edge,

it crashes.

If I am playing a game, it would suddenly crash/freeze after playing it for a bit.

Specs:

IntelR CoreTM i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080

Motherboard: B150M-E PRO

The picture below shows the spikes and keeps throttling down whenever it goes over like 30%

CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down 230ce379-f58d-4179-b432-1fb476a5bb39?upload=true.png

:)

DampPotato, Jun 12, 2020
  2. mhp0011 Win User

Win10 CPU Throttling

Win10 appears to throttle the CPU down when it gets too hot. This is probably a good thing (I figure it prevents the CPU from melting down). It seems, though, that Win10 doesn't seem to recognize when the CPU has cooled back down, so the CPU remains in
    a throttled-down mode indefinitely. I haven't figured out a way to reliably get Win10 to reset the throttling. As a work around, I have downloaded ThrottleStop which allows me to override Win10's behavior. Of course, I now have to manually watch the temperature
    to ensure that the CPU doesn't overhead, but it's better than having an unusable CPU. Is anyone aware of a solution to reset Win10 throttling so that I don't have to use a third-party product to do it? Better yet, has Microsoft acknowledged the issue and
    provided any guidance on when this issue might be corrected?

In case it matters, I am using a Dell Laptop E6410 with an Intel Core i7 M 640 CPU.

mhp0011, Jun 12, 2020
  3. Win10 CPU Throttling

You should be monitoring temperatures anyway

I have not noticed any weird throttling

I use ssd's and a high performance power plan with the proper ventilation and cpu cooler melting a cpu is not likely going to happen CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down :)

Your computer would shut down before that would happen

Of course stock cooling from manufactures especially laptops all bite CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down :)

ThrashZone, Jun 12, 2020
  4. mbass Win User

CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down

Prevent Cpu throttle on Battery

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Laptop by adding an SSD with windows 10 pro.

Now I noticed the computer throttles the cpu frequency whenever I'm on battery even on high performance profile.
    (In task manager I can see cpu frequency instantly dropping from 2.3-2.5 to 1.2 GHz as soone as I unplug the AC adapter).

The issue is not bios related and It does not happen on Ubuntu nor window 7( I mesured and the cpu frequency does not change when I unplug).

I tried the following:
    - High performance profile.
    - increased "minimum processor state" in power plan settings to 60% (https://i2.wp.com/www.techconsumergu...ng?w=452&ssl=1)
    - Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Throttling Settings and I Enabled the "turn off power throttling"

Still windows 10 throttles whenever I'm on battery.

Can someone suggest a solution for this?

Thanks in advance

mbass, Jun 12, 2020
Thema:

CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down

1. CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down - Similar Threads - CPU Utilisation Keeps

2. cpu throttling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cpu throttling: when I'm at game or some thing that puts pressure on the CPU my CPU clock comes down and my laptop crashes for a few second as long as I continue that work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-throttling/d549268b-acac-4ac1-9d28-07109fe50d60
  3. cpu throttling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cpu throttling: when I'm at game or some thing that puts pressure on the CPU my CPU clock comes down and my laptop crashes for a few second as long as I continue that work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-throttling/d549268b-acac-4ac1-9d28-07109fe50d60
  4. CPU throttling

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU throttling: I recently purchased a used HP Stream 14-ax010wm and did a clean win10 install. The issue is that the processor only runs at a maximum 30% .48ghz. When I start in safe mode it's functioning how it's supposed to. I've tried setting minimum cpu usage, disabled low power...
  5. Cpu utilisation is high all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cpu utilisation is high all of a sudden: This issue started happening a few days ago where the cpu utilisation is anywhere from 20-99% in task manager even when nothing is open. It was fine a couple of days ago. every app I open for example google chrome has been using up way too much (up to 60% on startup) for just...
  6. difference in measure of cpu utilised

difference in measure of cpu utilised: i'm getting two different readings for cpu being used. One is from task manager other is from zoom statistics. why is this happening? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-in-measure-of-cpu-utilised/e03790ce-9a54-419c-8b6a-24c5296dc8e7
  7. Troubleshooting slow CPU speed and utilisation

Troubleshooting slow CPU speed and utilisation: I have been struggling with this problem on my laptop for several months now and it has been getting worse and worse - I haven't found anywhere online with the same exact issue so I am asking for help here! The laptop is a Lenovo U41-70 with an i5-2200U CPU @2.20GHz. The...
  8. 100% CPU Utilisation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    100% CPU Utilisation: Please help, task manager is showing 100% utilisation which is incorrect according to my AMD system monitor. How can I fix this, it happened after the recent updates I made through windows. Has anyone else had this error and if so is there a fix so that task manager reads...
  9. How to limit cpu utilisation?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to limit cpu utilisation?: I would like limit cpu utilisation below or equal 25% in both window and Linux Forbidden swap and virtual memory if exceed this limit Bonus is to force the program to stop And request authorisation to continue to run if exceed this limit for 1 second Or pop up...
  10. Low CPU Utilisation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Low CPU Utilisation: Hi Guys n Gals I'm hoping someone can help with my problem. My laptop has been running slow for a few days and I have noticed that my CPU utilization very rarely goes above 16%. I set it to High Performance but that hasn't made any difference. At the moement I have...