Windows 10: CPU utilization is able to go above the maximum I set in power plan.

Discus and support CPU utilization is able to go above the maximum I set in power plan. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone, My PC has a problem where, if the processor state gets too high, the computer will overheat and the screen will freeze. If this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by davidh3, May 28, 2019.

1. davidh3 Win User

CPU utilization is able to go above the maximum I set in power plan.

Hello everyone,

My PC has a problem where, if the processor state gets too high, the computer will overheat and the screen will freeze. If this happens I have to force restart the computer by holding down the power button. For a long time I was able to solve this by setting the maximum power state in the power settings to around 80% instead of the default 100%. Normally I am able to see in the "performance" tab of task manager that the utilization graph will not go above 80% when I do this.

However recently I have been getting frequent screen freezing, and in the performance tab of task manager I am able to see the graph going well above the maximum state which I set in the power settings. I have already tried reinstalling Windows but the problem still persisted. Has anyone heard of any problem similar to this?

Thanks for reading.

:)

davidh3, May 28, 2019
  2. John Fer Win User

Power plan?

Upon checking, it seems that there's nothing wrong with your system. It is usual that you have to double-click your mouse before your monitor wakes up.

For the meantime, we suggest changing the power plan by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type in Power Settings.
    • On the pop-up window, choose Additional power settings.
    • Select High performance.

After changing the power plan, we suggest that you monitor the changes made and check if that will work for you.

Get back to us if you need further help.

John Fer, May 28, 2019
  3. CPU stuck at maximum power state

I'm running Windows 10 on my laptop with an Intel i7-4810MQ.

My issue is that the CPU stays at the maximum processor state regardless of actual usage of the computer and percentage the setting
    is set at. For example, if I set the maximum state to 100%, the CPU will idle on the desktop at 100%, 3.25GHz, 95°C. Obviously I don't want my PC running at this all the time.

The only exception is if I set the maximum processor state to a really low setting like 1%. At that point, the CPU stays at 28%, or 0.76 GHz because the CPU can't clock below that.

Is there a way I can set the maximum to 100% so it clocks up when I game or watch 60fps video, while still running cool and quiet when idling? I feel like that's what it should be doing right now, but it's
    stuck at the maximum.

I should also note that the High Performance and Balanced power plan both run at 100% all the time. Also, changing the GPU's Power Plan does not affect this.

Here's a shot of my advanced CPU settings in my Prema Mod BIOS:

CPU utilization is able to go above the maximum I set in power plan. 7e7d1431-6bd7-47b0-9957-ba918d46f512.jpg

charlocharlie, May 28, 2019
  4. Maria Fab Win User

Only 54% CPU Usage Maximum :'(

Thanks for the follow up. There might be programs that are limiting the CPU, so kindly check
    Power Options. To do so, follow these steps:

• In the Start Search bar, type Power Options, and then press
      Enter.
    • Under your preferred plan, click Change plan settings.
    • On the next window, click on Change advanced power settings.
    • In the Power Options window, look for Processor power management, and then expand it.
    • Under Maximum processor state, the Setting should be set to
      100%.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK. See image below.

CPU utilization is able to go above the maximum I set in power plan. f5ad87db-caa9-452b-aad7-3375e940269a.png

Let us know how the troubleshooting steps went for you. We'll be waiting for your update.

Maria Fab, May 28, 2019
Thema:

1. CPU utilization is able to go above the maximum I set in power plan. - Similar Threads - CPU utilization able

2. Power Plan // PowerCfg // CPU Frequency slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Plan // PowerCfg // CPU Frequency slow: Hi folks,is there any information available about the cooperation of Windows 10's Power Settings and the hardware?We have many DELL 7212 and the CPU frequency stays sometimes in the range of 0,5 GHz - making the system very slow.Even if in we adjust the minimum frequency in...
  3. Power Plan // PowerCfg // CPU Frequency slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Plan // PowerCfg // CPU Frequency slow: Hi folks,is there any information available about the cooperation of Windows 10's Power Settings and the hardware?We have many DELL 7212 and the CPU frequency stays sometimes in the range of 0,5 GHz - making the system very slow.Even if in we adjust the minimum frequency in...
  4. Power Plan // PowerCfg // CPU Frequency slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Advanced Power Plan Setting "Maximum Processor state" and "Minimum processor state" not...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advanced Power Plan Setting "Maximum Processor state" and "Minimum processor state" not...: SPECS: Win 10 (obv) i7 10700F 16GB 3000mhz 1660 Super So I used to set my processor states to prevent overheating, as my processor runs at 4.6 ghz, and only a few games can get it beyond what I like in terms of temp (80c+ or 176f+), as it generally rests around 80c/174f...
  6. Changing power plans on the go

Changing power plans on the go: [ATTACH] I recently found out I can use power plans. I have a custom high performance plan. Is there any way I can make my laptop switch from High Performance to Balanced when unplugged, and back to High Performance when plugged in again?...
  7. Power plan cpu limiter does not work

Power plan cpu limiter does not work: What is the point of the power plan cpu MinMax settings if any program that wants extra power can just take it? it does not work submitted by /u/mizzlekinkizzle [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l6u7ch/power_plan_cpu_limiter_does_not_work/
  8. Power plan settings

Power plan settings: Hello, i have a problem with adding high performance plan to my laptop Asus ZenBook 2020. As i don't see high or ultimate performance power plans nowhere in Power option panel, even under the arrow. I though i'd add one. First i went to the lower power option panel and...
  9. Power Plan for Zen+ 2700X CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    Power Plan for Zen+ 2700X CPU: I have recently read that a special Power Plan was released by 1usmus especially for the Zen 2 3000 series processors. I was not able to afford the 3000 series CPU for my new build just completed so I had to settle for the 2700X. I was wondering if there is a similar Power...
  10. CPU won't go above 23% utilization

CPU won't go above 23% utilization: I have a custom built PC. specs are below. After some recent problems and a full windows reinstall it seems that my CPU won't go above 23% utilization. I have set the power plan to high performance and am using Prime95 to attempt to stress the CPU. When I look in the BIOS...