Windows 10: Crackling Sound/Distortion while playing some Blu-Ray discs/videos

Discus and support Crackling Sound/Distortion while playing some Blu-Ray discs/videos in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows Version 20H2, Build 19042.685, Pro, 64 This one is odd. Built a new PC in May 2020 using i9-9900KF and Asus Z-390E Gaming MB. I installed an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nitewulf, Jan 23, 2021.

1. nitewulf Win User

Crackling Sound/Distortion while playing some Blu-Ray discs/videos

Windows Version 20H2, Build 19042.685, Pro, 64

This one is odd. Built a new PC in May 2020 using i9-9900KF and Asus Z-390E Gaming MB. I installed an LG WH14NS40
    Blu-ray/DVD reader/writer from an earlier build plus a Creative SB X-Fi Titanium soundcard, also from an earlier build. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago when I noticed scratchy sound on some YouTube videos and also on a few Blu-Ray discs. Removed the X-Fi soundcard , reverted to onboard audio and downloaded latest Realtek drivers from their website. All was ok for about a week and noise started again. Disabled on-board audio in bios and installed a Creative USB G6 USB amp/dac external soundcard;crackling sound still there. The affected Blu-ray discs play fine on another laptop and home-theater Blu-ray player so it's not the discs. The affected YouTube videos play fine on a laptop. It's got to be a driver issue or conflict of some kind. I hooked up an Asus external USB Blu-ray player to rule out a problem with the internal LG. It too played the Blu-rays with a crackling sound. I ran SFC and it fixed a couple of errors, but not the sound problem. I do have an Nvidia RTX 2800Ti installed and Nvidia installs it's own HD audio drivers, but I never use them. The video card driver is up to date. All Windows updates have been applied. I tried a system restore as far back as I could (January 15th), but it didn't solve the problem.

As a last resort I can try re-installing Windows 10, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas first or something I might have overlooked. I'm hoping it's not something defective on the MB itself.

:)

nitewulf, Jan 23, 2021
  2. Berton Win User

Playing a Blu-Ray video disc?

I've been thinking of getting a Blu-Ray Optical drive and what I have seen is it would be best to get one that has the software with it for playing the Blu-Ray discs or burning to a Blu-Ray disc. I wouldn't need the movie creation part of the software as more interested in playing and data storage. Some of the available programs are not exactly cheap, running over $50 and considerably more.

Berton, Jan 23, 2021
  3. mobile1 Win User

I bought a Blu-Ray disc drive for my Windows 10 PC. I can see the files with Windows Explorer.

When I insert a Blu-Ray disc, nothing happens.

Windows Media Player does not play it. Does it support Blu-Ray?

Can anyone tell me how to play it?

Thank you for your help.

mobile1, Jan 23, 2021
  4. mike s Win User

If your Blu-Ray disc was a commercial release, the chances are that the files are encrypted despite the fact that you can see their directory entries.

VLC player (VideoLan) can play Blu-Ray discs with simple navigation using its own controls (NOT the menus programmed into the disc content itself). If it's a commercial disc you need a decryptor and a matching AACS key database. There are downloadable builds of VLC which have all of the required elements build it (see the info pages and links at labDV - Multimedia software).

mike s, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Crackling Sound/Distortion while playing some Blu-Ray discs/videos - Similar Threads - Crackling Sound Distortion

2. Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays: Hi I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue. I have Pioneer BD-2212. It worked twice and now it the drive won't play blu rays or show anything in the drive. I can hear the drive working. Device manager lists that it is working properly. I have windows...
  3. Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays: Hi I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue. I have Pioneer BD-2212. It worked twice and now it the drive won't play blu rays or show anything in the drive. I can hear the drive working. Device manager lists that it is working properly. I have windows...
  4. Unable to Play Blu-Ray

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Play Blu-Ray: I just purchased a new 4K Blu-Ray my first ever Blu-Ray and I had hoped to watch it today on my Windows 10 PC. When inserting the disk, it makes some grinding noises, but nothing happens beside a disk icon occasionally flashing on my cursor before all goes quiet.I try going...
  5. Blu-Ray disc support

Blu-Ray disc support: Blu-Ray triple-layer 100GB re-writable discs - what is the best software to use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blu-ray-disc-support/e87e512c-da5e-41a6-95bc-58a6d26a41ab
  6. How to Play Blu-ray Disc on Windows 10 PC?

How to Play Blu-ray Disc on Windows 10 PC?: Windows 10 brings a lot of good stuff to the table, but it also takes away some key functionality that Windows 7 users might miss. In Windows 10, you have to say goodbye to Windows Media Center and with it, the ability to play DVDs natively. Fortunately, there are always...
  7. Copying video to Blu Ray Disc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying video to Blu Ray Disc: Hi im trying to move or copy a MPEG2 video from PC to Blu Ray disc it just doesnt do it, for some reason , this error message may have something to do with it do i delete this desktop .ini file ? Thanks for your help ! [IMG][IMG][IMG]...
  8. Playing a Blu-Ray video disc?

Playing a Blu-Ray video disc?: I bought a Blu-Ray disc drive for my Windows 10 PC. I can see the files with Windows Explorer. When I insert a Blu-Ray disc, nothing happens. Windows Media Player does not play it. Does it support Blu-Ray? Can anyone tell me how to play it? Thank you for your...
  9. How to play Blu-Rays

How to play Blu-Rays: I have 2 blu-ray burner drives on my system, one from Pioneer and one from LG. I have no problem with either of them for data disks or DVDs, but Blu-Rays have been a headache. I got CyberLink PowerDVD 10 with one of the drives, and that version is apparently incompatible...
  10. Blu-ray Disc Association New Ultra HD Blu-ray Specification and Logo

in Windows 10 News
    Blu-ray Disc Association New Ultra HD Blu-ray Specification and Logo: [img] Format Licensing on Schedule to Commence Summer 2015 LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced completion of the Ultra HD Blu-ray™ specification and released the new logo that will delineate Ultra HD Blu-ray products. The...