Windows 10: Crash with Momentary Blue Flash but no BSOD

Discus and support Crash with Momentary Blue Flash but no BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The Issue: This machine was working like a dream during the Windows 10 Beta. Since then, release after release has had and failed to resolve this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sneagan, Nov 24, 2016.

1. sneagan Win User

Crash with Momentary Blue Flash but no BSOD

The Issue: This machine was working like a dream during the Windows 10 Beta. Since then, release after release has had and failed to resolve this issue. It doesn't appear to follow a clear patter, but the machine crashes within an hour of boot. I tried to post this 4 times from the Windows install but crashed before I finished writing.

The Setup: I run Windows and Ubuntu on independent hard drives and am using Grub as the bootloader. There is also a 4TB drive that stores game and file data. I keep only system files on the boot drives as much as possible. Ubuntu has absolutely no issues of any kind. I push the system as hard or harder than the Windows install so thermal issues probably aren't the cause.

What I've tried:
    - I ran a RAM test already a month ago. Green across the board.
    - I've run Windows Insider, the non-insider builds, and even (stupidly) paid extra for the Professional edition in the hopes that there would be some additional hardware support

The Hardware:
    - GTX 980ti
    - ASRock Z97 Pro4 MOBO
    - 32GB DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz RAM (4x8)
    - Intel Core i7 4790k

:)

sneagan, Nov 24, 2016

2. Microsoft Edge won't work

I can't even get the browser to open. When I click on it, I get a momentary flash of blue on my screen...then nothing.

RicoLutsey, Nov 24, 2016
  3. Momentary Blue Screen

Hi,

This issue could have happened due when Microsoft Windows encounters a critical error from which it can’t recover, usually the result of low-level software (or drivers) crashing or faulty hardware. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps
    on this link:
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors.

We also suggest that you
    update your driver
    to prevent issues with your computer.

Let us know if you require any further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Nov 24, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

Without the dump files we won't be able to tell you why it's getting BSODs. 90% of the time it's due to a driver 10% hardware failure. The additional problem is since this is an insider build there may not be symbol files available to evaluate the dump files. In any event please upload any dump files located in C:\Windows\Minidump

Neemobeer, Nov 24, 2016
  5. sneagan Win User
    I don't see a C:\Windows\Minidump directory at all. :/

sneagan, Nov 24, 2016
  6. Neemobeer Win User
    Verify memory dumps are enabled.
    • Press [Windows key + x]
    • Select System
    • Advanced System Settings
    • Under "Startup and Recovery" click Settings
    • Under "System failure" > "Write debugging Information" should be set to automatic or small (256KB) dumps

Once another BSOD occurs you should see that folder and a .dmp file

Neemobeer, Nov 24, 2016
  7. sneagan Win User
    That setting is already set to Automatic with the File set to: %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP", but I see no such file. Booted into Windows and waiting for a crash to see if one is generated.

sneagan, Nov 24, 2016
  8. sneagan Win User

Alright. The system crashed, but I don't see any dump files in either the system root or the Windows directory as you describe. Is it possible that the system is crashing in a way that doesn't trigger/doesn't have time for the log?

sneagan, Nov 25, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    The logs do not indicate a BSOD crash, this means that a shutdown/restart crash had occured.
    To provide help for those crashes we need more information about your setup.

Please run CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID, open it and make screenshots of the following tabs
    • CPU
    • Mainboard
    • Memory
    • SPD*
    • Graphics
    *SPD shows the details of each stick, you can show the details by choosing different slots in the left upper corner.
    Please make screenshots of each stick.

Please post each screenshot in your next reply/replies.

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling and other used stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, etc.
    The PSU, cooling and other stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'. After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.

Crash with Momentary Blue Flash but no BSOD [​IMG]

Crash with Momentary Blue Flash but no BSOD [​IMG]

10. sneagan Win User
    Here are the screen shots. Doing the spec form now.

Attachment 111473Attachment 111474Attachment 111475Attachment 111478Attachment 111479Attachment 111480Attachment 111476Attachment 111477

sneagan, Nov 25, 2016
  11. Neemobeer Win User
    Look in Event Viewer > System for Kernel-Power error or critical events you could have a power issue.

Neemobeer, Nov 25, 2016
  12. sneagan Win User
    Updated my specs. If there's anything particular missing that you need let me know and I'll try to grab it. I had to rush to get segments saved between crashes.

sneagan, Nov 25, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

How old is your hardware?
    Has any hardware part ever been replaced?

14. sneagan Win User
    All bought new about 18 months ago. Nothing has been replaced. It runs multiple Linux distros and OS X without any issues.

sneagan, Nov 25, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
Thema:

1. Crash with Momentary Blue Flash but no BSOD - Similar Threads - Crash Momentary Blue

2. Momentary pause

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Momentary pause: I have a new build with a new install of Windows 11 which pauses every minute or so. Whatever I am typing will momentarily stop typing and then catch up. If I am scrolling, then the scroll pauses and then catches up. If I am gaming, momentary pause of the game but it does not...
  3. Momentary pause

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Momentary pause: I have a new build with a new install of Windows 11 which pauses every minute or so. Whatever I am typing will momentarily stop typing and then catch up. If I am scrolling, then the scroll pauses and then catches up. If I am gaming, momentary pause of the game but it does not...
  4. Momentary Command Window on Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Momentary Command Window on Startup: Whenever I reboot my machine after logging in, I see a momentary command window pop over the GUI desktop. I disappears so quickly, I can't see what program is responsible. I've looked through the event viewer but haven't been able to identify anything there, nor are there any...
  5. Flashing blue circle

in Windows 10 Customization
    Flashing blue circle: The blue circle next to te arrow keeps flashing and its a brand new laptop. Please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flashing-blue-circle/665bf8c6-6598-43de-be00-c45784f0d96c
  6. Blue Screen Bsod crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen Bsod crash: Hello ! i have been having the same problem when i play games or videos. here is the DMP file https://1drv.ms/u/s!At8SSkK33x5nij7H-7-R2p5NScmT and here is my sys specifications https://1drv.ms/u/s!At8SSkK33x5nij8gwBhBd8OqSUxg i would love to get this fixed :/...
  7. Random sounds/momentary pauses in system

Random sounds/momentary pauses in system: For the last 3 months now there have been occasions whereby a sound comes from my pc: brief but it prevents me from doing anything. The problem is that this has become daily and other actions have shown nothing wrong: troubleshooting, full system scanning with two antiviruses...
  8. Blue flashing screen of DEATH

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Blue flashing screen of DEATH: upgraded windows 7 when invited to. all compatibilities run by windows on my Dell laptop and one program, Dell access had to be removed. install proceeded smoothly all the way to the finish when it struggled to finish with comments like wait while final settings are...
  9. BSOD Random Blue screen Crashes

BSOD Random Blue screen Crashes: A few days ago I started getting random blue screens and I have no idea why everything is hooked up correctly and all the components work so I was wondering if anyone can help me with my issue here are my PC Specs: Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit CPU AMD...
  10. flashing blue circle

in Windows 10 Support
    flashing blue circle: I know there is others who have this issue of the flashing blue working circle next to the mouse pointer on the screen. I have read through he forums and tried what I could find but so far no luck getting rid of it. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 - on my Asus...