Windows 10: Crashes, Freezes, and other Seemingly OS-Related Failures

Discus and support Crashes, Freezes, and other Seemingly OS-Related Failures in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have had some of these issues before and have posted about them here as well. Last time it seemed like updating CPU drivers was the fix. This time,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Cloud Ventura, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Crashes, Freezes, and other Seemingly OS-Related Failures

I have had some of these issues before and have posted about them here as well. Last time it seemed like updating CPU drivers was the fix. This time, it doesn’t seem quite so simple.

Last week I started receiving constant BSODs, just about every ten seconds it felt. Doing research on the errors given, it seemed like this was a common issue with a Quallcom Aetheros driver, so I updated that and the BSODs immediately disappeared.

However, over the next couple of days— other issues started popping up. Task manager not being able to quit programs and then freezing when I’d try and close it. The wi-fi button in the taskbar either does not open, or when it does, it shows a blank slate with elipses running across the top, sometmes it does not open in the proper size either. This is problematic because I have to use this tab to actually connect to the internet easily.

Cortana/the spotlight search ocassionally open as a blank slate as well. With all of these things put together, I can’t connect to the internet, I can’t close programs that are having issues at a significantly higher rate than they used to, and with new freezes suddenly happening, I can’t hardly use my PC at all.

Although these issues were only happening *sometimes* on startup over the last week, for whatever reason I’d have extreme issues ocassionally, but a reboot could solve them. As of today, no amount of rebooting has made my PC more usable.

I assumed that drivers could play a role in this again, so I downloaded DriverFix in order to really see what needed updating. ChipSet drivers failed to update, presumably because my BIOS was outdated, so after a somewhat difficult BIOS update, I was able to update one of the ChipSet drivers. Upon trying to update more, it fails again. I’m not sure if this is because they all share a set of drivers or how this works exactly.

I also received a BSOD for the first time in a while today with the stop code DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, if that’s of any use. Additionally, after the BIOS update, I do get an American Megatrends error screen briefly while booting up that says it detected an error in my CPU Fan Speed, but upon inspecting this, everything seems to be fine.

The sfc/scan has returned zero issues. I’m struggilng to troubleshoot much further given the crashes, freezes, and generaly lack of usability. So a direction to look in so that I might focus my efforts would be appreciated.

Basically nothing works and everything feels broken, help of any kind is greatly appreciated. I’ve attached an image of what some of the issues can look like on the desktop for reference.

Here are my specs, let me know if more information is needed: http://specr.me/show/9c6

Crashes, Freezes, and other Seemingly OS-Related Failures [​IMG]

:)

Cloud Ventura, Sep 20, 2020
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Sep 20, 2020
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Sep 20, 2020
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Crashes, Freezes, and other Seemingly OS-Related Failures

Random crashes and (seemingly) related issues

The job starts from enabling dump recording.

Now, what may cause a system freeze? Broadly we may categorize it in two fields: hardware related causes and software/driver related causes.

First of all, we will concentrate on finding any failing driver. In order to do it, enable Driver Verifier to monitor the drivers. Driver Verifier - Enable and DisableRun Driver Verifier for 24 hours or the occurrence of the next crash, whichever is earlier.

Information Why Driver Verifier:
    It puts a stress on the drivers, ans so it makes the unstable drivers crash. Hopefully the driver that crashes is recorded in the memory dump.

How Can we know that DV is enabled:
    It will make the system bit of slow, laggy.

Warning Before enabling DV, make it sure that you have earlier System restore points made in your computer. You can check it easily by using CCleaner looking at Tools > System Restore.

If there is no points, make a System Restore Point manually before enabling DV.

Tip

Now the crash dump recording becomes important. If Driver Verifier causes a BSOD, let us see the dumps.

Thema:

Crashes, Freezes, and other Seemingly OS-Related Failures

1. Crashes, Freezes, and other Seemingly OS-Related Failures - Similar Threads - Crashes Freezes Seemingly

2. Ethernet problem that seems to be related to KB5005565

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet problem that seems to be related to KB5005565: Windows 10 FamilleVersion 21H1Installé le 2021-01-05Build 19043.1165Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0Here's the problem, suddenly, internet stop working on a desktop which is connected to a router with an RJ45. At first I tough it was a problem with the network...
  3. PC Crash Seemingly Audio Related

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Crash Seemingly Audio Related: Hi All,I have recently encountered a problem with consistent crashes which I cant seem to get to the bottom of.When using 3.5mm jack audio on my speakers, seemingly randomly the sound will repeat about twice a second, then the screen freezes, then the pc either dies or...
  4. OS related

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS related: Is Windows 10 CoreSingleLanguage is the same as Windows 10 Single Language? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/os-related/303a3b8c-aa58-4423-a833-f24e8413c1e3
  5. computer suddenly crashing seems to be related to internet usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    computer suddenly crashing seems to be related to internet usage: this problem is difficult to explain but here it goes: My computer suddenly crashes whenever a lot of data is going into or out of it. I'm not sure if it's specific to either uploading info or downloading info but it seems to be more closely tied to downloading and it seems...
  6. Constant OS Crashing/Hardware Failure in Windows Reliability?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant OS Crashing/Hardware Failure in Windows Reliability?: Hello all, My PC has been crashing a lot lately, and I am not sure why. In the Reliability Monitor, I took a look and found a lot of hardware errors. Unfortunately, it does not tell me the specific part that failed. Which is what I am hoping you folks can find out for me....
  7. Crashes seemingly related to graphics drivers.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashes seemingly related to graphics drivers.: My development laptop has been having trouble recently when working with anything that requires a fair amount of graphics processing power (Unreal Engine, gaming, etc). Performance also seems somewhat worse, but it may be related to whatever is failing. The actual blue screen...
  8. Audio issues, seemingly not driver related.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio issues, seemingly not driver related.: So, I transitioned flawlessly to Windows 10 on release day in 2015, everything was working flawlessly, beside the odd intermittent bug of little relevance. Now 1 year later things have been a lot less enjoyable. During this time of consistent updates, I've had numerous...
  9. OS freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    OS freezes: Hi! 2 days ago I stated experiencing constant freezing with windows 10. After a few forced restarts, the problem escalated to BSOD that appeared after 10 minutes of very light use. Diagnostic tool disabled the antivirus process, and although BSOD has stopped, the...
  10. Random crashes and (seemingly) related issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Random crashes and (seemingly) related issues: I've been experiencing for a while an issue where my laptop will randomly freeze completely. At that point I'm left with no alternative but to hard reboot the laptop by holding the power button. Usually when this happens, any sound that might have been playing will freeze as...