Windows 10: crashing apps, vanishing folder permissions and shortcut program locations

Discus and support crashing apps, vanishing folder permissions and shortcut program locations in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; i'll start with the folder issue,, after updates the folder permission principle trusted installer or system overides any user settings (most often... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Chooks007, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Chooks007 Win User

crashing apps, vanishing folder permissions and shortcut program locations

i'll start with the folder issue,, after updates the folder permission principle trusted installer or system overides any user settings (most often just wipes all permissions) to user created folders this causes any shorcuts to these folders to become redundant and sometimes makes folders inaccessable.. this is obviously solved by adding/fixing folder properties however any small update like defender database update will revert/ delete all my efforts

also each update has been causing win store app after app to begin to fail when launched, obviously started with just 1 app then built up with each update, this leading me to surf through several existing microsoft support "solved" problem pages to actually see 1 attempt at a solution with cmd prompt - DISM and sfc processes,,, this actually made my handfull of crashing apps become every single app crash

then there was also the common "solution" -> "WE SHALL AVOID THE PROBLEM CAUSED AND TELL YOU EVERYTHING CAN BE SOLVED BY DELETING EVERY BIT OF SOFTWARE YOU HAVE INSTALLED AND REINSTALL THE OS, but guess what you have the option to keep your files..........." seriously wtf

PLEASE dont reply to this with

-run troubleshooter

-the above cmd prompt dism and sfc commands

- change UAC settings

ect ect

i would rather no resonse than anything along those lines

in fact it would be great if the resonse is details of a new update that addresses the unwanted and unnecessary hijacking and modification of user defined properties and also cleans up the conflicting patchwork past updates without a reinstall

:)

Chooks007, Feb 4, 2019

2. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 4, 2019
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Feb 4, 2019
  4. crashing apps, vanishing folder permissions and shortcut program locations

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Feb 4, 2019
Thema:

crashing apps, vanishing folder permissions and shortcut program locations

1. crashing apps, vanishing folder permissions and shortcut program locations - Similar Threads - crashing apps vanishing

2. Whole folder vanished

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whole folder vanished: This is happening for some time. A file saved to desktop or D: drive vanishes right after saving it. In the past, I did not care much about this delinquent behavior because the files vanished were not of important. But today a whole folder vanished after saving it to D:...
  3. location permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    location permissions: Maps program says it doesn't have permission to use my location. Note in red on location permissions page says " *Some of these settings are hidden or managed by your organization" Don't know where to find organization settings....
  4. Synchronizing program and folder shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Synchronizing program and folder shortcut: Hello, dear ones! I have Microsoft 365 Personal and one of its benefits is OneDrive with 1TB. Well, I synchronize the following folders: Workspace; Documents; Images. Well, when installing a new program, I end up allowing the creation of a shortcut on the desktop...
  5. Permissions on Apps and Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Permissions on Apps and Folders: Hi i recently got my xbox game pass , and i must say im really enjoying it , until I decided to try a new game in this case Dirt Rally 2 and to realize I cant Open it , this is all i get, i cant do much , can't change permissions nor give new ones , don't know if its relevant...
  6. Folder with Apps shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder with Apps shortcuts: Hello maybe this is a stupid question, but is there a way to add like a folder of sorts to the taskbar of windows 10 that has app shortcuts (like in a Mac has). Thanks Windows 10 2004 19041.264 158070
  7. Apps/programs vanish after first time use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps/programs vanish after first time use: Several apps in windows 10, such as musicbee and freda go through the install process, i select run after install and put shortcut on desktop. Everything works fine to that point. However, the shortcut is never created and when i close the app after first use, it does not...
  8. Apps vanishing??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps vanishing??: Recently, about the past week, various apps on my start menu have been turning dark and going inactive, clicking these leads to the "contact admin for support" message, This is for both the live tile and the standard selecting from all programs menu. Screens will be attached...
  9. Recommended location for 'Programs' folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Recommended location for 'Programs' folder: OK, so I just got through identifying that my 128GB SSD c:/ drive is failing and I'm waiting on HP shipping me a replacement. When I opted to go with an SSD for my HP Z Book G2 I didn't accurately factor the disk cost of Windows 10 Pro and my 40+ various applications. I...
  10. Vanishing Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Vanishing Folder: I am trying to redo my Windows 10 PC. The network adaptors cannot be changed so I brought a new SSD drive and started installing everything fresh. Once Windows was up I started installing all my programs and transferring data from the original SSD to the new one. Do this by...