Windows 10: crawling transfer speed between laptop/pc and hp n40l microserver

Discus and support crawling transfer speed between laptop/pc and hp n40l microserver in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am experience terribly slow transferring speed between my Dell Latitute e4310 laptop and my HP N40L microserver running windows server 2012 (using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by datatemp, Aug 8, 2017.

1. datatemp Win User

crawling transfer speed between laptop/pc and hp n40l microserver

I am experience terribly slow transferring speed between my Dell Latitute e4310 laptop and my HP N40L microserver running windows server 2012 (using the microserver as media storage and backup files from my laptop, the microserve has 10gb ram, 120gb Plexor SSD where Windows 10 and all programs installed to, 3x3TB Seagate drive setup as Raid) and I am currently getting a transfer speed of around 4Mb/s (using TeraCopy Pro to handle the transfer)

The connection between the laptop and the microserver is via the Asus RT-AC68U router, both connected to the router using Cat5e cable. The microserver also has TP-Link AC1900 dual band adapter installed but i thought the transfer would be faster via ethernet cable so didn't use that.

Please help/guide me what i can do to improve the transferring speed.

Many thanks

:)

datatemp, Aug 8, 2017

2. Windows 10 does not seem to be allocating quad-core processors for multi-tasking.

Thanks for the reply, but the storage device is not the issue, as I have the same issue no matter which devices I am transferring between, transfer between same drive, external drives, external SD cards, thumb drives, whatever. It seems this computer
    and/or Windows 10 can't handle multi-tasking. The file transfer goes fine at what I would consider normal speeds, but the OS slows to a crawl during the file transfers.

CharlesSavall, Aug 8, 2017
  3. jmbvink Win User
    jmbvink, Aug 8, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Are all the devices using Ethernet rated as Gigabit? Mine are 10/100/1000 with the Wireless Router also having 802.11b/g/n, soon to be upgraded to 802.11ac but I have only 2 computers with the 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

Berton, Aug 8, 2017
  5. datatemp Win User
    yes all devices rated as gigabit

datatemp, Aug 8, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    What are the model of the hard drives you have installed? Which form of RAID are you running the microserver (ie 0, 1)? Those Microservers can only use up to 8GB of RAM. Is the SSD using a internal bay or the eSATA? I would personally do a test of LAN speed with one of the Benchmarking tools. 5 Free Tools to Test and Benchmark Your Network Speed • Raymond.CC You can also use iPerf.

bro67, Aug 9, 2017
  7. datatemp Win User
    Ssd and one of the 3T seagate fitted into the tray/bay allocate for the DVD drive so I think the ssd uses the esata(?) (will check that tonight)
    I have the other the other 2 seagate drive occupied 2/4 vertical bay, this microserver can take up to 16gb ram with the new bios and others have no prob with more than 8gb ram installed. I think I setup the Server up as raid 1? as there are some important photos that I want to keep and if one drives died no data is loss?

datatemp, Aug 9, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Which model of hard drives, same as the Plexor. I run a Synology NAS with Enterprise Constellation drives 1TBx2 as Raid O, since I have a Fantom 3TB connected via eSata on it.

If you are just doing file storage on the microserver, there are plenty of Linux based distros that do FTP and SMB/CIFS storage. Now if you are doing a domain, that could cause problems. Start checking your logs on the Server and make sure that there is no QOS restrictions in place, especially that the unit may not be able to handle a lot of connections.

I have yet to see my Synology DS216+2 choke, same as the Fantom 3TB (USB-C/eSata).

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. crawling transfer speed between laptop/pc and hp n40l microserver - Similar Threads - crawling transfer speed

2. Sudden drop in transfer speed between SSDs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sudden drop in transfer speed between SSDs: [ATTACH] I was copying files from my NVMe SSD to the SATA SSD and the speed dropped by like 75% to 70-80MB/s. Both drives are fairly new so I'm not sure what might be the cause. I checked and see that the Shadow Copy service is set to Manual, so I don't think that's the...
  3. hp laptop speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hp laptop speed: why is my laptop running quite slow and how can I speed it up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-laptop-speed/4d031920-7d0f-4a75-9f7d-e7b15001b507
  4. Game purchase not transferring between laptops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game purchase not transferring between laptops.: I just recently bought Sea of Thieves on my friends laptop, but signed into my own account and we played a bit. But now when I go to my own laptop signed into my own account it shows all my recent activity but when I try to play it says that I have to buy it again! Also when...
  5. HP Prolient microserver N54 - No network adapters found

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HP Prolient microserver N54 - No network adapters found: Previously working with windows 10 AHCI in a mirrored raid, but lost the boot sector in a power spike. All reinstalled and able to run Win 10, but network status is "Not Connected". The network adaptor list is empty. Any ideas? ***Original Title: HP Prolient...
  6. HP Prolient microserver N54 -

HP Prolient microserver N54 -: Previously working with windows 10 AHCI in a mirrored raid, but lost the boot sector in a power spike. All reinstalled and able to run Win 10, but network status is "Not Connected". The network adaptor list is empty. Any ideas?...
  7. Transfering Apps Between PC's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfering Apps Between PC's: Hello Microsoft people, recently I got a new laptop (Acer Nitro 5) I purchased Cuphead on my other laptop and I don't know how to transfer the app to this PC. I am signed into the Microsoft account I used on my other laptop and it says the app is not purchased on this laptop....
  8. USB 3.0 port transfer speed on HP Laptop not exceeding 40 MBPS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 port transfer speed on HP Laptop not exceeding 40 MBPS: I tested the internal HDD with CrystalDiskMark and was able to get 109 MBPS both on sequential read and write tests. Then, when I tested my 1 TB WD My Passport USB 3.0 External HDD with CrystalDiskMark the sequential read and write speed did not exceed 40 MBPS the few times I...
  9. NAS box or use cheap HP microserver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NAS box or use cheap HP microserver: Hi there I can get a decent HP ProLiant micro server with 4 bays for around 450 EUR. A cheapish decent NAS box costs around the same. I'm thinking of using the server as an alternative to a NAS box -- I can install my own OS (I'll use a Linux distro for this)and it's...
  10. Slow transfer speed between two builds

Slow transfer speed between two builds: Hey, y'all I just finished a new build and turned my old setup into a server/data host for my network. Both computers have a fresh install of windows and are connected together through a router with a Cat6 and Cat5 cable with a average connection of 200Down/30Up. Issue im...