Windows 10: Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode)

Discus and support Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Below are two examples of instructions I was given a couple of years ago for creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive in order to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sportsfan148, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode)

Below are two examples of instructions I was given a couple of years ago for creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive in order to be able to clean install Windows 10 on a UEFI boot only PC (not Legacy Boot mode).

To create bootable UEFI USB flash drive for installing Windows 10 with UEFI
    1. Format a USB flash drive to FAT32 file system.
    2. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted Windows 10 ISO file to the USB flash drive.

And...

Here is the simplest way for UEFI systems
    1) format flash drive as fat32
    2) mount iso as a drive
    3) copy all files from iso to flash drive using file explorer

The question I have is, Is it sufficient to just wipe a USB flash drive by performing a FAT32 format on it using file explorer if the flash drive was last used when I used it with the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable flash drive?
    I am just wondering if the Media Creation Tool could have done something to the USB flash drive at that time meaning that it has to be cleaned and prepared with Diskpart again?
    Basically, I suppose what Im asking is does it matter what was on the USB flash drive previously. Could it cause issues etc? Or is it irrelevant? Will simply formatting the flash drive FAT32, mounting the ISO and copying all files onto the flash drive be OK no matter what was previously on the flash drive?

:)

sportsfan148, Apr 22, 2020
  2. Avocado Win User

UEFI or Legacy?

Depending how the Windows 10 install media is booted (UEFI or Legacy BIOS) Windows Setup creates either GPT or MBR partition style on the hard drive.

First, check the file system of the USB flash drive.

The file system of the USB flash drive must be FAT32 if you want to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode.

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10

Option One: Use Media Creation Tool to create Bootable Windows 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI
    Option Two: Use "Rufus" to create Bootable Window 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI

Avocado, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, Apr 22, 2020
  4. gupsterg Win User

Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode)

UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

Yep, UEFI mode with Win 10 loading I get the Asus logo.

IIRC there maybe an option within motherboard UEFI to disable the Asus logo but not looked into it. On another forum I have read that what logo you get at Win 10 loading is the easiest way to know what bios mode OS is in.

If system is booting in legacy mode - you get Windows Logo.
    If system is booting in UEFI mode - you get OEM logo.

Above also applies to Win 8 but not Win 7.

gupsterg, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode)

1. Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode) - Similar Threads - Create bootable flash

2. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  3. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  4. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Legacy or uefi boot?

Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  6. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  7. Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot: I'm attempting to make a clone of a bootable flash drive containing the Prime Expert Emergency Book kit using EraseUs Partition Master. The clone seems to seems the same contents as the original, but the drive is not bootable. Cockpit error?Possible, but earlier I used Aomei...
  8. Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode)

Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode): Below are two examples of instructions I was given a couple of years ago for creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive in order to be able to clean install Windows 10 on a UEFI boot only PC (not Legacy Boot mode). To create bootable UEFI USB flash drive for installing...
  9. Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI: I’m using a Dell i3670 purchased new a few months ago. Win10 and EUFI are factory installed. The computer runs fine. How can I boot/restore using an image file on a flash drive? With BIOS/MBR, it was easy. I changed the boot order so the flash drive was checked first. If a...
  10. Create bootable UEFI Defrag Flash Drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Create bootable UEFI Defrag Flash Drive?: Here is the issue I am currently at: I have a Surface Pro 4 that I want to set up a Dual Boot on. I normally wouldn't have too much of an issue resolving this on my own, but due to the Surface Pro 4 not supporting Legacy flash drives, my standard way (Booting into a MBR...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Create installation media USB flash drive uefi fat32 or ntfs