Windows 10: Create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 - TIPS

Discus and support Create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 - TIPS in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; 1. Pay attention to the numerous warnings to create a recovery drive before a failure. 2. Use a 32gb USB stick formatted as NTFS - even though there is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by JoeR, Nov 13, 2020.

1. JoeR Win User

Create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 - TIPS

1. Pay attention to the numerous warnings to create a recovery drive before a failure.
    2. Use a 32gb USB stick formatted as NTFS - even though there is lots of advice to use 16gb formatted as FAT32.

My creation of recovery drive failed twice after several hours until I tried 32gb NTFS in desperation.
    My PC was running desperately slowly while using 89-100% cpu. I spent many hours tweaking before concluding that I needed to do a complete reinstall.

Creating the recovery drive took 12 hours + several hours for failed attempts. This would have been a lot faster if I had done it when the PC was healthy.

Booting from recovery drive and then letting Win10 configure itself only took 1 hour - and the result was a perfect machine!

Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1909 (build 18363.1139)
    It took a lot of searching to discover that on my Lenovo Ideacentre 520 it was necessary to keep pressing F12 to boot from USB.

:)

2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Nov 13, 2020
  3. Cannot create recovery drive or bootable usb using media creation tool

Hi Stuart,

To assist you better with your concern, are you getting an error message upon creating a recovery drive, as well as creating a bootable USB drive? If yes, what's the error message?

In addition to that, have you tried the steps from the following articles:

Regards.

Marque Lor, Nov 13, 2020
  4. Create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 - TIPS

Error Creating a recovery drive for Windows 10

Instead of recovery drive, I suggest creating a bootable USB that serves both of Recovery drive and Installation media.

Option 1 should do this for you.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create...

Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 13, 2020
Thema:

Create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 - TIPS

1. Create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 - TIPS - Similar Threads - Create Bootable USB

2. Windows USB won’t creat a bootable drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows USB won’t creat a bootable drive: Yes before you ask yes Secure boot, and TPM 2.0 is enabled. I get to the first restart after starting to download and my pc will boot back into the USB. Yes I’ve also moved my boot drives around but when I disconnect the usb my pc it will either boot strait into the bios with...
  3. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive: My USB is 256GB and I need to image a company computer with a image in .iso format. This iso is 26.7 GB in size.I reformated the USB to exfat .I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB using the tool and this seems to have shrunck my USB to...
  4. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive: My USB is 256GB and I need to image a company computer with a image in .iso format. This iso is 26.7 GB in size.I reformated the USB to exfat .I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB using the tool and this seems to have shrunck my USB to...
  5. creating bootable cd/usb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating bootable cd/usb drive.: How do you create a bootable cd/USB drive in windows 10 or can I? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-bootable-cdusb-drive/9d71be61-a696-496a-9b75-d5cd792e0208
  6. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  7. How to create a bootable USB drive for window 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to create a bootable USB drive for window 10?: Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-drive-for-window-10/c9f12e23-322b-49a8-a8eb-d8638aac40dc
  8. Issue creating bootable USB drive

Issue creating bootable USB drive: Hi all, my first post. Thank you for any assistance in advance. I got a new 2nd hand Asus 2 in 1. I managed to finally get a fully functional Ubuntu Linux distro (dual boot) working on it. Unfortunately after getting it finally functional (Cheery Trail processors are not...
  9. Recovery USB drive vs. Windows 10 bootable USB ?

Recovery USB drive vs. Windows 10 bootable USB ?: 1 . In Windows 10, one can create a Recovery Drive on a USB flash drive . 2 .Using Rufus after downloading Windows 10 installation ISO file from microsoft, I can make a bootable USB windows installation that can help me repair my existing windows installation or let me...
  10. Create both a USB Recovery drive & a bootable flash drive overkill?

in Windows 10 Support
    Create both a USB Recovery drive & a bootable flash drive overkill?: Is it overkill to create both a USB Recovery drive and a bootable flash drive to install Win10? HP 2000 laptop. Win10 Home (x64). 1.60 GHz AMD E-350. 320 GB HDD. 4/8 GB RAM I recently revitalized my friends HP 2000 laptop. Win10 Home (x64). 1.60 GHz AMD E-350. 4 GB RAM...