Windows 10: Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help

Discus and support Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I need to return my laptop with Windows 10 Home for some hardware issue, the warranty is still valid so they will send me a new one once I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Marcello7777, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help

Hi there,

I need to return my laptop with Windows 10 Home for some hardware issue, the warranty is still valid so they will send me a new one once I ship this one.

Before sending it back I want to make a Bare Metal full backup to be recovered on the new laptop.

I want to make an ISO image to burn on a DVD or either an external USB drive recovery drive of the whole system as it is now, I want to include EVERYTHING, private folders, applications, settings, app settings, I just want to turn on my new PC and boom should be as the old one.

So I basically went to Control Panel > System > Backup and Restore then I clicked on "Create a System Image", I put it in an external Hard Disk.

I was expecting an ISO file to be created so that I can boot from the ISO on the new PC, either burn it in a DVD, but instead it created lots of folders including XML files and 3 vhdx files 3partitions as in the image below.

What should I do with this now? this is not burnable into a DVD, someone told me that I should create a recovery drive hard disk and place it in there.

So I have created the Recovery Drive on a new external HD, and I have a copy of the previously made backup on another HD.

Now I don't understand how I integrate the recovery drive with the backup.

The ONLY recovery drive shouldn't have copied my personal files and all application data on the external HD as it is explained in the article below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-recovery-drive-abb4691b-5324-6d4a-8766-73fab304c246

So how the hell do I place the backup I did in the recovery drive???

What are the correct step to follow?

I have very important data there and I want to be sure not to loose everything.

Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help 4a73d8a9-c27b-410c-b5d1-9303481af51f?upload=true.png

:)

Marcello7777, Apr 15, 2021

2. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Apr 15, 2021
  3. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Apr 15, 2021
  4. Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help

creating a recovery drive!

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will assist you with this.

To better understand the issue please let us know

• What exactly happens when you try to create a Recovery drive ?
    • Do you receive any error message ?
    I suggest you to try the steps below and see if It helps to resolve the issue.

Creating a recovery drive

A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won't start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive.

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected, then select
      Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, then select Next > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it's finished, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link, then select
      Delete. If not, select Finish.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further. Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help

1. Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help - Similar Threads - Create System Image

2. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows: I have a Macintosh with Windows 10 running on Bootcamp that I was trying to upgrade, but unfortunately I accidentally corrupted the macOS Catalina partition while attempting to repartition the hard drive using Windows, which also corrupted the bootloader and rendered both...
  3. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows: I have a Macintosh with Windows 10 running on Bootcamp that I was trying to upgrade, but unfortunately I accidentally corrupted the macOS Catalina partition while attempting to repartition the hard drive using Windows, which also corrupted the bootloader and rendered both...
  4. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  6. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  7. Creating system Image to external drive

8. Create System Image of External Drive

Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...
  9. System image or recovery flash drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image or recovery flash drive?: Of the above which is the better solution to backup or do I need both? Also, I have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows 10 fall creator version. I have created a recovery flash drive with system files included for the desktop. Will that one also work for the laptop?...
  10. Help with creating a system image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Help with creating a system image backup: I'm looking for help to create a system image backup on my 64GB usb drive. The problem is that I have a lot of games that takes a lot of space. I want to create a system image backup without the games so I can put it on my 64GB usb drive. I also want the system backup image...