Windows 10: Create a tree-type list of folders contained in a 45+ GB PST

Discus and support Create a tree-type list of folders contained in a 45+ GB PST in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; The file was exported from a similarly sized working OST file. The User it belongs to is mystified at how they got so many multiple folders inside of... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by questorfla, May 7, 2019.

1. Create a tree-type list of folders contained in a 45+ GB PST

The file was exported from a similarly sized working OST file. The User it belongs to is mystified at how they got so many multiple folders inside of other folders and does not really believe this is the case. I would like to print a folder-tree of the contents of her Outlook file even if it the paths are so long i have to print in 8 pt Landscape.

Every solution I have found that is supposed to work for this is a type of compiled script add-in for Outlook and they all crash, probably due to the enormous size. I get 2 or 3 pages of output before they crash. There are probably well over 1000 folder/sub-folders and that is being optimistic. hundreds of them appear to be complete top-level folders that were copied under other 3rd or 4th level folders creating a serious mess. There could be more than 5000.

The "folder-size" option in Outlook seems to work fine but there is no option for printed output. I can only scroll through page after page of folders.

Does anyone know of a utility that could make a formatted output of this? Text, html or anything I can show the User. I dont want to be the one who decides what folder to merge with which but the size and complexity has got to be reduced or it will continue to get worse. She is afraid of losing email from as far back as 2005. I know how to export and can just give her the results as they are but i would like to help clean it up if possible. I believe she could do this if she had a print-out to work from.

I have never seen one this bad and hope I never do again but if Outlook 'folder-size' can figure it out and make that long scrolling display, surely there is a way to output that content. Or capture it to a list. The only problem i see with it now is that the window in folder-size is too small to display the full path.

Thanks for all suggestions.

I also have the original 45 GB OST file that the PST was created from if that is a better option for input.

:)

questorfla, May 7, 2019

2. What is the best command to create a file containing paths

I may be doing something wrong but 'dir', 'tree' and their variable switches so far have not given me what is needed.

I am trying to match a list of paths taken from a database with the actual files contained in its master-folder I know for sure that many of the files are stored in incorrect locations. In other cases the file-type has been changed from doc to .docx or .pdf. I'm sure there are several that really are not there at all.

In an effort to not lose half the of the data stored there, I need a listing from the Master folder showing the Path to all the files it contains stored in a text file. Or better yet, in an Excel file since the current list from the database program is in an Excel format.

This involves a huge number of files. The master-folder contains over 350,000 files. The database says there are close to 150,000 files that are not where they should be. Those are effectively lost unless i can find them put them where the DB program thinks they should be either by path or modified file-type. There is no capability for such a "search and fix" routine built into this old software

Bottom line, I need a way to create a list of all the paths leading to files in the master-folder structure so i can compare it against the list i was able to extract from the DB program to make the necessary corrections so the data will show up.

questorfla, May 7, 2019
  3. Chmid Win User
    Create new folders in the All apps list

When I select the All apps tab from the start button I see a list of all of the apps/programs that I have available.

I currently have a folder (Western Digital) that has 3 programs listed. These 3 are for a device "net drive" and I would like to create a sub folder named "net drive" and put those 3 programs in that folder and then add a "Duo" folder and add it's programs
    to that folder so that in effect I have a tree like below:

• Western Digital
      • Net Drive
        • 1 program
        • 2 program
        • 3 program
      • Duo
        • 1 program
        • 2 program
        • 3 program
    Is this possible?

Chmid, May 7, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Create a tree-type list of folders contained in a 45+ GB PST

Outlook PST File Problem

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Export everything to another PST file, delete the old(or rather move it out of the default folder) and replace it with the new PST file that you exported.

newtekie1, May 7, 2019
Thema:

Create a tree-type list of folders contained in a 45+ GB PST

1. Create a tree-type list of folders contained in a 45+ GB PST - Similar Threads - Create tree type

2. List subfolders containing documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List subfolders containing documents: Hi,I have a large folder containing approximately 3000 subfolders, but in some of them I have document files like .pdf, .docx, etc.Is it possible to list subfolders containing documents, I don't need files from subfolders, I just want to transfer those subfolders containing...
  3. Creating network bridge creates spanning tree issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating network bridge creates spanning tree issue: Earlier this week I added a intel nic to my server and was easily able bridge both the intel and realtek network adapters in windows 10 server 2016 and had no issues. Now as I tried to do the exact same thing on my Desktop running windows 11, I was given a unexpected error...
  4. Folder Tree

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Tree: I did it again. While trying to unhook from onedrive, I ended up with a Music icon on a new D drive folder with folders under it where they don't belong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-tree/52e32790-a365-48cb-b079-99b63eae60fc
  5. Folder Tree

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Tree: I did it again. While trying to unhook from onedrive, I ended up with a Music icon on a new D drive folder with folders under it where they don't belong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-tree/52e32790-a365-48cb-b079-99b63eae60fc
  6. How to create a Folder Tree in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    How to create a Folder Tree in Windows 10?: Taking a leap back, the early computer designers comprehended that lumping together several files on your computer systems would create massive junk and make it impossible to find anything. Hence ‘Directory’ on Windows systems was created. Directory, directory system,...
  7. Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??: Does anyone know if there is a syntax for finding all folders containing certain types of files? Like if I wanted to find every folder on my D drive containing photos (and have just the folders listed in the search results.) Or find every folder containing ebooks, whatever....
  8. How to create a new folder that contains a "Location" tab

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to create a new folder that contains a "Location" tab: Windows 10 Home Version 1909 OS Build 18363.628 I would like to create a new folder that contains a "Location" tab. I see that the "Contacts", "Desktop", "Documents", "Downloads" folders, to name a few, have "Location" tabs. I THINK they are referred to as "Personal"...
  9. Email PST folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Email PST folder: I crashed my hard drive with my PST folder. Now Outlook.exe does not run because it cannot fond my .PST folder! How can I set a new one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-pst-folder/abf11058-0d20-455d-a4b7-12af1d1ec5b7"
  10. Windows 10 folder shows as 34,1 Gb but does not contain that amount

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 folder shows as 34,1 Gb but does not contain that amount: There is something weird going on with my windows. I was cleaning out my OS drive and saw that one the main folder for my user contained over 34 Gb of stuff. Naturally i wanted to clean out all the junk, but after searching the folders within this main folder, i can barely...