Windows 10: Create a VM from W8.1Pro before upgrading to W10

Discus and support Create a VM from W8.1Pro before upgrading to W10 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I apologize, but like my user name says, I am a newbie to VM's. I have created a couple - mainly the new preview builds of W10 to watch and play with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by VMNewbie, Jun 2, 2016.

1. VMNewbie Win User

Create a VM from W8.1Pro before upgrading to W10

I apologize, but like my user name says, I am a newbie to VM's. I have created a couple - mainly the new preview builds of W10 to watch and play with the new variations. However I have not been able to get a P2V conversion to work.

Currently, what I am trying to do now is to created a VM of my current operating Desktop (Lenovo i5/12GB, W8.1Pro) before I allow it to upgrade to W10 before 7/29. This would allow me to play with the same software setup on two different O/S's.

I thought I understood it, but alas it doesn't work. I used the Disk2vhd tool from SysInterals and created a VHDX on an external drive. I then connected that external (via USB3) drive to a different machine (SP3. i7 w/W10Pro), and with Hyper-V Manager I created a new Generation 2 VM, and then I tried to start it. No luck.
    (Note my disk that I am doing the disk2vhd on is 1TB - is that part of my issue? and my target I am creating it on is also 1TB. The vhdx file though is 346GB)

The message I receive:

Create a VM from W8.1Pro before upgrading to W10 [​IMG]

(basically "Hyper-V Virtual Machine Boot Summary" where it gives choice of 1. SCSI Disk - No UEFI-Compatible File System was found, and 2. Network Adapter - DHCP failed. Then it says: No "O/S" was loaded. Pres a key to retry boot sequence . . . )

After researching, I tried to follow this article Using VHD Native Boot with UEFI Firmware bcdedit vs bcdboot | dai but I can't mount the VHDX because it says it is in use. I rebooted and tried to mount it, and still can't.

Now I am so confused I don't know what to try.

Anyone willing to give me some suggestions?

Thank you.

:)

VMNewbie, Jun 2, 2016
  2. JoeNamco Win User

Windows 10 Pro Suddenly Needs Activation as Windows 10 Home

Home or Pro? as you posted that it came with W8.1pro or was it upgraded from a Home version to a Pro when it was on W8.1, also some details as to which version/build number of Windows 10 Insiders that you are using is important for us to give you proper

help.

Note: this is the forum for testing newer builds of W10 before being released to the public and isn't a general support site for Public builds.

JoeNamco, Jun 2, 2016
  3. After Upgrading my Win 8.1 system to Win 10, will I be able to re-use my Win 8.1 key on another PC? Not for upgrade on PC#2

I have this very same question regarding "orphaned" Windows keys. I upgraded system #1 from W7Pro to W10 Pro and system #2 from W8.1Pro to W10 Pro. I have an older system that likely will run W7/32 but am hesitant to install it if the key is invalidated.
    This third system is currently running XP. All license/keys were purchased retail - no OEM licenses. Is there an answer to this issue?

Thanks

David Sneade, Jun 2, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

We can't give you suggestions because it would violate the forum rules to do so. Running your old Windows 8.1 in a virtual machine inside a Windows 10 upgrade that came from that same Windows 8.1 license violates the End Users License Agreement (EULA).

NavyLCDR, Jun 2, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

actually this isn't true.

You CAN run a VM as it's on the SAME machine you had the windows licence for - you won't have any problems with this -- if your W8.1 needs activation just activate by phone and explain you need to re-install before upgrading to W10. You can't have more than ONE copy running on that machine but that's not the case here.

The EULA specifies that the W8.1 licence is valid for the machine it's installed on -- the hardware be it virtual or real doesn't matter - the physical machine is where the product is licenced for. This will work even in the case of an OEM licence.

There's nothing in the W10 upgrade stuff that actually says you have to ditch your old OS either.

What I would tend to do though is create the W8.1 VM using the Vmware converter tool (free) and run it on vmware player (also free).
    Run the converter on the physical W8.1 machine first though.

A lot of people tend to give "Legal advice" -- just remember there's a huge difference often in what things like the EULA actually SAY and what some people think they mean - a lot of court cases fail because people get confused between what seems logical, right or even fair / reasonable and what the contract actually SAYS. !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 2, 2016
  6. Kyhi Win User
    Same thing with certain advise (against) dual booting...
    As you can only boot 1 OS at a time...
    So the License is only active on 1 PC, be it for a different OS..

And the software is licensed to that PC.. Be it loaded via HDD,SSD,VM,VHD or VHDX

Kyhi, Jun 2, 2016
  7. Barman58 Win User
    As far as I am aware, Microsoft, (and therefore probably the court system), treat a virtual machine as separate system from the system it is running on. due to the virtualised hardware being different from the actual hardware.

As for running a virtual machine with, the OS upgraded from, on the OS upgraded to, this would be definitely against the EULA as the basic fact is that the same licence is used for both installs (with Ten the Licence form has changed but is still, generated from, and replaces the original licence) - it's possible to re-use the licence for the original OS but only if the Secondary OS is first uninstalled - It amounts to the same as using a key on two operating systems which is not and has never been allowed except for special keys VL, MAK Etc

Willit actually work, Possibly for a while it will as Microsoft's checks are not performed that often

Barman58, Jun 2, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

One license for Windows means one installation of Windows, PERIOD. All of the Windows End Users License Agreements can be read here:
    Microsoft License Terms

I would direct you to the Windows 8.1 End Users License Agreement:
    It has been the standard interpretation of the moderators of this forum that an upgrade from a previous version of Windows uses the license of the previous operating system as the license to use the upgraded OS. In other words when you upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 you go not get an additional license to install and activate a second copy of Windows. You still have only 1 license for Windows. That is the difference between upgrading and purchasing a new copy.

It's quite clear in the EULA - a Virtual Machine is considered a second, separate and distinct computer. It's the same in the Windows 10 EULA:
    And if you want to go with saying, "Well, if I dual boot, I am only 'USING' one copy of Windows at a time" - how is that any different than installing the same single license Windows copy on 10 different computers and claiming, "Well, I'm only going to have 1 of them powered on at a time, so, really, I am only 'USING' one copy of Windows!'?

NavyLCDR, Jun 2, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You are only running ONE COPY of Windows --

Does this mean then you cannot for example on a VISTA or even a Linux Host run XP, W7, W8, W10 VM's even though you've got and PAID for licences.

The copy of Windows referred to is that particular copy not any other previous LICENSED releases you have.

I'm sorry to labour this but it's an important principle as loads of us DO run VM's with different OS'es on a physical machine.

Perhaps a Lawyer from Ms's legal dept could clarify the issue here -- that if you have a LEGALLY paid for copy of Windows you can run it on the machine you licensed it for irrespective of any other software running on the machine. You do need to ensure that you have activated the Windows OS on the VM properly.

I know Ms has always been a bit vague on VM's but perhaps someone from their legal dept could post here and give a definitive answer on this.
    Note running say two or 3 W10 VM's from the same licence concurrently is against the EULA --running ONE though is fine.

There is a difference between "The Interpretation on the Forum means ...." and the actual letter of the law.

As far as running on say a different Host -- Linux for example - running different LICENSED versions of Windows as VM's has never caused any problems with Ms.

It would be good to have Ms's REAL answer on all of this though --from a proper source AT THE TOP -- not some off shored call centre managed by relatively low level staff.

It's possible of course that the free upgrade should be or is treated differently to Retail purchased copies -- but I doubt whether Ms is in any way shape or form the remotest bit bothered by this -- it's only "Small Beer" here compared to Mega piracy of Office and Windows 10 which is of much more concern to Ms.

My impression is that currently the new activation system from Ms has more holes than a sieve in it and Piracy seems far more rampant than with any of the old methods they used. A few people running "technically illegal" VM's on their Free upgrade won't cause them sleepless nights since if you think about it the Free upgrade isn't actually offering any immediate revenue -- they hope to sell addons later or get people to buy W10 when they get new hardware.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 2, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Jimbo -

If the host computer is running Windows - and the virtual machine on that host computer is running Windows - then TWO SEPARATE licenses for Windows is required - one for the Windows installation that is hosting the virtual machine and one for the Windows installation that is running in the virtual machine. And Microsoft has in no way been vague about virtual machines. The EULAs very clearly explain that Microsoft considers a virtual machine to be a separate computer or device.

Nobody is saying you can't run a properly licensed copy of Windows inside a virtual machine. But when you upgrade, you use the license from the previous OS to install and run the OS upgraded to. That's the entire difference between an upgrade and a license that is purchased separately. When you upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 you still have only 1 license for 1 activated installation of Windows. Is it legal for me to upgrade a computer from a retail version of Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, then re-install the Windows 8.1 on a different computer and sell it while I keep the Windows 10 on the computer that I keep? If you create a VM in the Windows 10 from an upgrade, and then you run the OS that it was upgraded from in the VM - you are running two separate copies of Windows that require 2 separate licenses which you don't have, unless you purchase the second one separately.

What Microsoft chooses to enforce or not, and how Microsoft chooses to enforce it has absolutely no bearing on what violates the EULA and what doesn't. If you travel 60 mph on a road with a 45 mph speed limit you are still violating the law even if there is no police officer there to see it and even if you do pass a police officer and they choose not to stop you.

What Microsoft chooses to enforce or not, and how Microsoft chooses to enforce it also has absolutely no bearing on what the rules of this forum are.

Read what the OP wants to do:
    He wants to create TWO copies of the SAME Windows 8.1 Pro. He wants to run the second COPY of the SAME Windows 8.1 Pro inside a virtual machine on a DIFFERENT computer. (Although it doesn't matter if the VM is on a different computer or not.) So he has two separate COPIES of the SAME Windows 8.1 Pro running on TWO different computers at the same time. And even if the VM was on the same physical hardware, Microsoft still clearly explains in their EULAs that a VM is a separate computer. Then he wants to upgrade one of the two COPIES of the SAME Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 so that he can "play with" two different O/S's. If he intends to purchase or already has two separate licenses for Windows 8.1 Pro, he certainly did not mention it in the OP. He also never mention removing the first copy of the SAME Windows 8.1 Pro from the computer that the second COPY of the SAME Windows 8.1 Pro came from.

NavyLCDR, Jun 2, 2016
  11. lx07 Win User
    There is nothing vague at all about running Windows in a VM. You need a licence to activate it.

The only (possibly) interesting difference is that if you run a VM and sometimes native boot it as VHD it will pick up the device activation of the host. This is not a normal thing to do and it certainly does not get away from what @NavyLCDR said that you must have a licence for every instance of Windows you run. The only difference is that it will use a different activation running VM to native boot and it will make you re-validate your activation.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    And that is true of any Windows running in any VM - but even more so in the situation the OP wants to create:

He wants to take a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro from one computer and run it as a virtual machine on a second computer. There was no mention in the OP of having or purchasing a separate license for the copy he made to run not only on a virtual machine (which MS clearly states is a separate computer or device) but to run on a virtual machine hosted on a second computer! And also no mention of removing the Windows from the original computer. And, finally, upgrading the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 is not "removing it"! And even if he did remove it from the first computer - if it was an OEM Windows 8.1 Pro that came with the first computer it would still violate the EULA to move that to a different computer - virtual or not.

NavyLCDR, Jun 2, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

True. Mind you I had a i7 lenovo laptop with Windows 7 Pro which I sat on when I was drunk (and completely broke it).

I had upgraded it from 7 to 8 with the cheap upgrade deal (which transfers your OEM to retail). I transferred that licence to a VM by phone activation and it now works fine - I just had to say (which was true) that the old version wan't in use. MS phone activation people are pretty understanding (if slow) as long as you are being honest in my experience.

14. Kyhi Win User
    Ok, so the answer is - it is possible......

15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I agree there's a whole slew of confusion here - perhaps if you are actually doing an upgrade you are technically correct but I doubt whether Ms would send the Bailiff's in if you happen to use your OS as a VM after update.

There's NO argument though with a RETAIL copy that you activated on a VM that you CAN run it in conjunction with any other software on the same machine --plus of course any VL copy is valid too.

Ms is far more concerned about Piracy than a few odd people running VM's from previous VALID licensed OS'es on their machines.

OK I'm an Engineer not a Lawyer although I've fought and won more than a few cases with "Expert Lawyers !!!!". Perhaps the best answer is - do whatever you think and put that between you and your Maker --my own view of this is that Ms would be far happier you running W10 even if you have W8.1 as a VM as well than not trying the upgrade --and in any case surely TESTING an OS out with a decent fall back to run legacy software / hardware makes sense whether you run a single computer or a huge international network.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Create a VM from W8.1Pro before upgrading to W10 - Similar Threads - Create 1Pro before

2. creating a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    creating a VM: I would like to create a VM, and I have watch video's on how to do this. The end product of what I'm looking for is to install Windows 11 on my F drive (SSD (500gb)). I've already found and made my windows 11.ISO file as well which is over on my C drive. If I create a VM and...
  3. Upgraded laptop to W10 from W8, reset this PC won't complete

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded laptop to W10 from W8, reset this PC won't complete: I am trying to reset a laptop, removing all files and cleaning the drive. I get "There was a problem resetting your PC." Any ideas on how to remedy? Thanks....
  4. Create VM from physical machine

Create VM from physical machine: My machine has a non-clean install of win 10, which I have been using for months. I would like to do a clean install of windows 10, but I don't want to be down for days getting everything setup. So I figured I would run it in a VM on the newly installed OS while I set things...
  5. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  6. Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE)

Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE): Hi there An easy way of creating a W10 VM (or any other OS) of your RUNNING machine is simply to start up the VMWARE CONVERTER. You need to be in administrator mode. Configure the target machine, - unclick DATA drives if you just want to start with creating the system....
  7. W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!

W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!: Hi folks. Not sure how long this will continue to work but the Free update from W7/W8/W8.1 is STILL working as of 16 Nov 2017. I entered an old Technet key for W8.1 pro on a clean install of W10 pro via the media creation tool. No probs -- activated with Digital...
  8. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  9. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade. Clicking Custom and then...
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...