Windows 10: Create an association in the default programs control panel

Discus and support Create an association in the default programs control panel in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Win10 build 2004 that has a connection to a 2012R2 Terminal Server RemoteApp Connection. All office applications are ran from the terminal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DFW Perplexed, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Create an association in the default programs control panel

I have a Win10 build 2004 that has a connection to a 2012R2 Terminal Server RemoteApp Connection. All office applications are ran from the terminal server. The Office suite is 2016 standard. The file associations had been working up to a point point unknown where associations were able to be pointed at the RemoteApp server to open the correct application, example Word or Excel. Now when I go to default programs, I see the the association is listed, but is greyed out, and I am unable to update or change the association. Furthermore the end user has office files on his desktop that the icons are now being displayed as white generic icons instead of the correct application. Below is what I am seeing in default applications:

Create an association in the default programs control panel 5b66f594-380a-4dc3-8cdd-58d7dd5930fa?upload=true.jpg

I have removed and recreated the RemoteApp connection, which did not help. How do I correct and associate the files with the terminal server?

Moved from: Microsoft 365 and Office/ Excel / Windows 10 / Office 2016

:)

DFW Perplexed, Nov 5, 2020

2. Create an association in the Default Programs Control Panel?

How do I Create an association in the Default Programs Control Panel?

susanmatthyser, Nov 5, 2020
  3. Create an association in the Default Programs Control Panel?

1. In the Control Panel Select : Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program.
    2. Wait for it to populate.
    3. Highlight the particular File or Protocol.
    4. Select : Change Program Tab.
    5. A Window opens in which one can select the Program to open it with.
    6. Initially it shows the Default Recommended Program it opens with.
    7. Next to Other Programs you will see a Small Black Down Arrow.
    8. Click on the small black down arrow to see what other Programs are available to try to open it with.
    9. If you see the one that you wish to open it with select it.
    10. If you do not see it you may have to use the Browse Tab and find the Program you wish to open it with.

( NOTE ) : In that window at the bottom right hand side you will see a small box with a check mark in it what states : Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.

I would suggest to temporally remove the check mark whilst testing the File to make sure it opens in the Program that you wish it to open with.

If it works then go back and re-check that box.

Possibly some one else could explain this a little better and in short form.

Frank N St31n, Nov 5, 2020
  4. Create an association in the default programs control panel

How do you create an association in Control Panel/Default Programs?

I wanted to e-mail a newspaper article. I got a warning that I needed to create an association in Control Panel/Default Programs

with my e-mail program. How is this done? I saw no how-to info in Control Panel/Default Programs. My e-mail program was not listed there,

DavidAllen_943, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

Create an association in the default programs control panel

1. Create an association in the default programs control panel - Similar Threads - Create association default

2. Creating association in the default program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating association in the default program: Hi, I am trying to email a video from a file by send to and I get message "No email associated to perform the requested action. Create an association in the default program, in control panel" I have looked but not quite sure what I am expected to do. I have Outlook installed...
  3. Create an Association in the Default Program's Control Program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create an Association in the Default Program's Control Program: I have repeatedly tried on many occasions to send photos to friends using the Mail and Calendar app but am stopped with a message 'Create an Association in the Default Programs Control Panel' I have really tried to manage this but have never yet been successful. I would...
  4. Programs not showing in control panel

Programs not showing in control panel: Hi, When I open control panel, programs do appear, but not all of my programs. I am suspecting that this is due to the recent update on my computer....
  5. Programs & Features Control Panel

Programs & Features Control Panel: There are more than 20 entries labeled Visual C++. Do I need them all? Which ones can I safely delete?. I have tried unsuccessfully to include a screenshot here....
  6. Default applications: Create an association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I...
  7. Default applications: Create an association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I turned it on, and I went to play Roblox. When...
  8. Default applications: Create an association

Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I...
  9. Default Program control panel.?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Program control panel.?: I cannot send a document by email. keeps telling there is no email program associated with? I have AOL, mail, etc.. how do I create an association in the Default Program control panel.? I have tried to follow instructions to no avail. Spent many hours on this...
  10. 'Settings' Default is not= Control Panel 'Default Programs' - All

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Settings' Default is not= Control Panel 'Default Programs' - All: Hi, An observation, not a question. I wanted to set Thunderbird as my default email client again (after having reset defaults whilst looking for a problem). So I set it as my default email client in 'System', 'Default Apps'. This proved not to be the same as using...