Windows 10: Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

Discus and support Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Followed Kari's excellent tut - Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 WSIM Getting the following Answer File Validation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by techquest, Feb 27, 2019.

1. techquest Win User

Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

Followed Kari's excellent tut - Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

WSIM

Getting the following Answer File Validation problem:

The setting has not been modified. It will not be saved to the answerfile. Components/windowsPE/amd64_Microsoft-Setup_neutral/ImageInstall

The tut didn't do anything with it. Is this something to be concerned with? Is there something needed, if so what should I edit?

Many thanks

:)

techquest, Feb 27, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

At the very end of the tutorial is short Step Eight. If you have followed the tutorial steps One through Seven, this last step contains two links:

Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 [​IMG]

The one highlighted yellow contains link to a tutorial to show how to create a USB install media: PowerShell Scripting - Create USB Install Media for Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The link highlighted blue contains a link to a tutorial which instructs how to use OSCDIMG.EXE (which replaced now deprecated ImageX) to create a bootable ISO image: Create Windows 10 ISO image from Existing Installation | Windows 10 Tutorials

3. Kari Win User

Most common reason is that you are using autounattend.xml with partitioning scheme for GPT partitioned UEFI machines on a MBR partitioned BIOS machine or vice versa.

EDIT:

I just created a Generation 1 VM (BIOS / MBR) in Hyper-V and run unattended install from my UEFI / GPT install media to get this screenshot:

Reason for this error is me using wrong autounattend.xml file, one that tries to partition disk as GPT on a BISO based machine instead of MBR.

I would need to prepare autounattend.xml separately for BIOS / MBR and UEFI / GPT machines, as told in tutorial starting from step 3.12. Examples showing differences in partitioning MBR and GPT disks are shown in step 3.14.

4. Kari Win User

Hi Falconer, welcome to Ten Forums!

My apologies, I simply forgot that from original answer file and tutorial. I've now edited step 4.7 to include it and replaced screenshot accordingly.

I have no good excuse. I just forgot it.

You need to start from scratch in reference machine. Thinking of that, I edited tutorial adding new step:

I added this tip in step 7.7, to be done just before you run Sysprep:

Tip If you are using a Hyper-V VM as reference machine, create a checkpoint now. It allows you to return to this point in few seconds if something goes wrong with image capture or to make changes in image before it's captured.

A suggestion:

You could "inject" drivers to your install media, making it specific for that PC. Tutorial: DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image

Keep a copy of your custom hardware independent install.wim file, only apply drivers for a specific PC to install media you will use for that PC. If the PC is already running Windows, all devices and drivers working, and you want to reinstall, check the note in step 2.2 in above mentioned tutorial. It shows how to capture drivers from existing Windows installation. Applying them to image you have all devices working straight after setup.

Notice that this might make your install.wim file to be bigger than 4GB which in its turn might make it impossible to use a standard FAT32 formatted USB flash drive. In that case see end of this quite long post of mine in another thread for a workaround using Rufus to create USB media: How to move Windows 10 from OLD desktop to NEW laptop - Windows 10 Forums

To avoid need to run Windows Update after Windows has been installed, you could also apply Windows updates to your custom install media. Tutorial: PowerShell Scripting - Update Windows 10 USB install media

Thema:

1. Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create media automated

2. Correct way to run scripts in automated, unattended Windows installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Correct way to run scripts in automated, unattended Windows installation: I have some custom scripts that I have written to customise Windows 10 such as removing bloatware and setting file explorer options via Registry Editor that I use to apply to all users and/or the system. I have created a `autounattend.xml` Answer File with some simple...
  3. Create Windows 10 installation media from WinPE media

Create Windows 10 installation media from WinPE media: I am currently running Linux on an older non-UEFI system, which recently had Windows 10 installed on it. Originally the PC had Windows 7 installed and was upgraded to 10. I am hoping to bypass the steps of recovering Windows 7 and upgrading, and instead install Windows 10...
  4. Creating installation media

Creating installation media: Hello, I installed window 10 installation media for my pc in another computerwindow 7.Because i reset my pc without creating a bootable usb.But now i am not able to run the installation media in the the window 7 .it tells me to restart and run it again but no change...
  5. Creating installation media

Creating installation media: would creating a installation media of windows 10 and installing windows 10 delete my- 1pre installed apps 2both graphic card-amd,intel 3microsoft office-powerpoint,word etc can it change my digitally activated and licensed windows 10 become unlicensed and unactivate...
  6. Creating bootable unattended ISO..

Creating bootable unattended ISO..: Hi, Is there a proper way to create an unattended bootable ISO (the methods I have tried thus far do NOT work). I have the following ISO files. 1. Windows 10 1903 ISO directly downloaded from Microsoft. 2. Windows ADK for 1903. I only took the auto answer file part from...
  7. Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10: Followed Kari's excellent tut - Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 WSIM Getting the following Answer File Validation problem: The setting has not been modified. It will not be saved to the answerfile....
  8. Apply unattended answer file to Windows 10 install media

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Apply unattended answer file to Windows 10 install media: How to: Apply unattended answer file to Windows 10 install media [img] Information We have multiple tutorials on Ten Forums about creating a custom Windows install media and automating Windows Setup and OOBE. All those tutorials are intended for advanced users, requiring...
  9. Automated Shortcut Creating

in Windows 10 Support
    Automated Shortcut Creating: Howdy, Right click on Desktop > Personalize > Themes > Desktop Icon Settings > Add This PC... This will make a "This PC" shortcut on desktop, which if you right click on, and choose Properties, will open up "System Details Window" rather than just showing a simple...
  10. Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10: How to: Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 [img] Information Installing Windows 10 is done in three phases: Boot from install media, run Windows Setup Configure hardware devices Windows Welcome (OOBE) In normal install, user interaction is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. create media for automated unnatend install of windows 10

2. how to create unattended automated windows 10 1903 iso

3. wsim create media

4. HideWirelessSetupInOOB